Dangerous to use an unvented mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

holly9000

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2013
Toms River, N.J. 08753
I won a cheap bottom firing mech mod in a giveaway but it seems to be unvented-not a hole to be found. To be honest I'm a little afraid to use it. I use these Panny 18650's https://www.fasttech.com/products/1141101

I never vape sub ohm, my lowest res anything is 1.5. How dangerous is this thing to use? 1.jpg :unsure:

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
I would not vape an unvented mod. If it's vented through the threads . .ok . . but if I blow into it and it's airtight, I'm not using it. I'm really not worried about what might happen when I'm actually using it . . but I'm worried about what might happen if the mod fired unattended . .like if I forgot to lock it out or if the lockout failed or something.

I have no idea if a venting battery could actually make the mod explode - but I definitely don't want to find out. I think it probably can . .isn't that what happened to the dude who got his teeth knocked out?

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Your putting it in your mouth- between your teeth.

I'd use the best batteries I could find from someone that sells batteries. I do not know about fasttech batteries. So I can't comment.

It's a pretty simple thing to buy a pallet of reject batteries and throw new labels on them. Get a multi meter and check your batteries after you're done charging them before you use them. Inspect your batteries frequently. I use a sharpie and put the date on my batteries and label them.

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
I won a cheap bottom firing mech mod in a giveaway but it seems to be unvented-not a hole to be found. To be honest I'm a little afraid to use it. I use these Panny 18650's https://www.fasttech.com/products/1141101

I never vape sub ohm, my lowest res anything is 1.5. How dangerous is this thing to use? View attachment 236451 :unsure:

Buy a drill bit for metals, maybe 1/8" and drill 1 or 2 holes? That would do it.

If you do above 1 ohm and high quality imr batteries you should be 99.99999% safe ( .0000001% is for counterfeit or defective batteries)

Use some panasoni cgr18650 ggray ones) and if you dont want to drill buy a cheap battery fuse (smok has a new one for $5)

Tripster

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
Well my Original P18 was not vented and the 18650 bats I was using never had a hiccup/vent, I also used flashlights that had no venting for years and never had an 18650 vent/hiccup. My Precise Simplicity has hidden venting but even if the bat does vent, you will still get slightly burned...for me, if the top portion of my mod gets hot to the touch, I simply thread off the atty and top cap and allow the bat to cool down (this is my routine).

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
That PV looks mechanical. Your batteries are good, but even great batteries can malfunction. You are not going sub ohm, but any atty can short, shorting the battery. I agree with the people who have said to drill holes in it if required, as long as you are comfortable doing that and feel you can judge the number of holes and pick good locations. I would not vape it without vent openings in it. My K100 has 3 holes in the switch, 3 in the middle and 3 at the top. If flames ever shoot out of those holes I might burn my fingers before I drop it, but the mod will not explode. OK, so I'm being a bit dramatic here, but that is really the idea behind venting. Vape happy and vape safe :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread