Dark Spots Showing Under battery Wrap VTC4 & VTC5's 18650

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubliquid

Apr 23, 2014
UK
Apologies mods if this thread is in the wrong category. i did make 5 initial posts to try post in the correct forum section but I'm still unable to post there. As a new member i thought this may help anyone else who is having the same issues.

I've been vaping heavy for about 6 months. i use mainly mech mods and mainly drip.

I've noticed that many of my vtc4's and Vtc5's have been showing dark spots under the wrappings, i've not been too concerned due to reading online saying that it's due to the wrapping getting hot and nothing more. I'm not having any issues with batteries getting hot only issues just dark spots.. So i decided to take a look under the wrapper of one of my batteries that works fine but has alot of these dark spots, i wanted to investigate more. I've searched everywhere on the internet to try find someone that has had the same issue or knows what exactly is happening to create these dark spots, but can't find any info at all :(

Would someone who knows whats going on shed some light on the issue please.

this is what i found under the wrapper

2014-07-31 23.38.21.jpg

After a good clean i managed to remove about 98% of the marks that were on the surface of the bat after it looks like:

batclean.jpg

Can anyone shed some light on whats actually causing this to happen, those dark spots on the surface of bat in the first picture look a bit worrying. seems to show on many of my batteries.

Also just to add, ive been building coils for months with no shorting issues or cheap builds.. i do my best to ensure my builds are safe and all connectivity is done correctly. so i have no idea what could be causing these spots.

Last edited:

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Best on the market though, class...they are Sony's...

Op, were the dots on the outside of the wrap as well? Or was it that smearing that they all have? If it's the latter, the smearing is normal.

isn't that a sign of some kind of arcing going on tho ?

dubliquid

Apr 23, 2014
UK
Are you sure the batteries are authentic Sony VTC?, lots of re wrapped fakes on the market.

i've bought from well known sources on ebay. yes i know some ebay retailers should be avoided but I've bought from three different vendors on ebay and the issue is widespread. I purchased 2 vtc5's from a respectable vape shop in London and the issue is the same. :(

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I got nothing on this. However, I'll just say that Ebay and Amazon would be the last places that I would purchase mod batteries from due to the high number of counterfeit batteries being sold there. Not saying your batteries are fakes, but...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-how-identify-counterfeit-sony-batteries.html

"Battery counterfeiting ... is a growing problem and all APV users need to be aware of it.

This is what happens: the counterfeiters buy reject Li-ion batteries in bulk, strip the covers off, and re-cover them with labels that change them to look like popular brands. In this way they can take a cell bought for 10 cents, re-work it, and sell it as for example an AW battery with a retail price of $10. The profits are very high and this practice is growing. It means that you never really know what battery you have unless you buy from somewhere with a verified supply chain. For example, all AW batteries offered for sale on Alibaba are counterfeits, and possibly dangerous."
--- http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html

Last edited:

dubliquid

Apr 23, 2014
UK
I got nothing on this. However, I'll just say that Ebay and Amazon would be the last places that I would purchase mod batteries from due to the high number of counterfeit batteries being sold there. Not saying your batteries are fakes, but...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-how-identify-counterfeit-sony-batteries.html

"Battery counterfeiting ... is a growing problem and all APV users need to be aware of it.

This is what happens: the counterfeiters buy reject Li-ion batteries in bulk, strip the covers off, and re-cover them with labels that change them to look like popular brands. In this way they can take a cell bought for 10 cents, re-work it, and sell it as for example an AW battery with a retail price of $10. The profits are very high and this practice is growing. It means that you never really know what battery you have unless you buy from somewhere with a verified supply chain. For example, all AW batteries offered for sale on Alibaba are counterfeits, and possibly dangerous."
--- http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html

i'm very much confident that all the batteries i have are genuine. not only due to the prolonged battery life of the batteries but i can't see one sign of any of them being fake.

the dark spots issue is happening to most of the batteries, also to bats i've purchased from reputable suppliers at vape meets. As classwife said in earlier post it may be due to arcing, possibly.
ty for posting the fake battery info, it's sensible double check ;)

i've forwarded an email on to sony with images, hopefully they will get back to me with some clarity on the issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread