Darnit- Broke A New Tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dekalbave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA, United States
I got some new tanks today, and filled a Boge 2.0 mini sub tank with some cherry flavored e-liquid. At 3.7 volts, I wasn't getting enough vapor. So I then took it up to 3.9 volts and heard a sharp "crack". I quickly took it back down to 3.7 volts, but the mouthpiece kept gurgling, and I kept getting juice in my mouth.

So am I correct in assuming that 7.6 watts is too much for this tank? Could it have been the liquid? Don't know, but what a bummer. Oh well, live and learn...

Last edited:

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
Frank's ford, in the Caintuck
The tank just holds the juice. If you don't see a crack in the polycarbonate, then the tank isn't broken. On the other hand, there's nothing the tank could do to make the cartomizer gurgle. Were you still getting heat and vapor after the crack? It sounds to me like you may have popped the coil--even though 2 ohms should be able to handle 3.9 volts easily, the cartos are still mass-produced and subject to variations in quality.

If a tank breaks, the result will be leaking of juice outside the tank--a mess is the worst (and only, really) result of breaking a tank. If the holes are too big, or there are too many of them for your vaping style--or you happen to over-fill the carto--that could flood it and result in less vapor. If the coil is not firing it will not burn off the juice and so the carto will eventually get enough juice in it (syphoned from the sucking) and could result in juice in your mouth.

The tanks can break, but the problem you describe is somewhere in the carto. And I regularly use these tanks with 1.6 ohm cartos at 5 and 6 volts, so 7.6 watts is definitely not "too much" for the tank or the carto. As long as the tank is not leaking eternally, just try replacing the carto and see what happens...

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
In a tank system the cartos still do all the work, the tanks just hold extra juice so you don't have to refill as often.

It's like a car. The carto is the engine, the holes/slots are the fuel pump and carburetor, and the tanks is the gas tank. If the engine won't fire, or is weak and gives poor performance, it's not a hole in the gas tank. The fuel line may be clogged or the fuel pump defective (holes/slots too small or too few); the carburetor may be flooding (holes slots too big or too many) or there may be a problem in the engine (the coil and/or connector post). If the tank is faulty, all you're going to get is leaking gas (juice), but that's enough of a problem on its own that it does need to be fixed/replaced.

I think a lot of the misunderstanding with tanks comes from video reviews. Every single one of them has a "let's see how it vapes" segment, but the tank does absolutely nothing as far as vaping itself is concerned. Vaping is entirely a function of the atty/carto/PV combination. The only thing a tank does is hold juice. It can leak or not, it can slide around on the carto or not--but even delivering juice to refill the carto is a function of the holes/slots cut into the carto and not the tank itself. The only thing those segments show is how well the carto and PV work together, assuming the reviewer has filled the carto correctly in the first place; since it's the initial fill that's shown in the reviews the vaping demonstration is functionally identical to using the carto without a tank attached at all.

Whew, okay, didn't expect to get on a soapbox ;) Just some quick notes: I personally punch all my cartos myself, and the main reason is that I have never found a pre-punched carto that worked well for my vaping style. I don't know what I do differently since most people can find pre-punched cartos that work for them, but I can't. I only punch one hole because more than that consistently floods the carto for me.

1. If you are using a grommetted tank (like Mom and Pop's) and find them flooding, try scooting the bottom grommet up to partially cover the hole(s) and restrict the flow of juice. If you have the carto occasionally run dry, give a suck/draw/drag without firing the PV--this will pull a little more juice into the carto and "prime" it. Also, the viscosity of your juice will affect how big/many holes/slots you need. You can find the perfect balance, but if you change your juice you may need to adjust your feed system smaller for thinner juices or larger for thicker ones.

2. Tanks are designed to keep the carto full until the tank runs dry. One of the signs of a full carto is a slight gurgling--if you are not using a tank you will only get this on the first draw or two, if at all, so people are not used to hearing it as the tankless carto is using up juice as it is vaped. With a tank, the expended juice should be replaced as it is used so that the carto is always full. This means that with a properly working tank a slight gurgling should be expected. As long as your vapour production and flavour is good, a slight gurgling is a good thing (means everything's working).

3. If your vapour production is poor, there is little or no flavour, and/or you are getting juice in your mouth, the carto is flooded. The coil may not be firing or the holes/slots may be too much for your vaping style or you may have over-filled the carto or any number of things. Roll up a napkin or paper towel and slide it into the carto and up against the filler to absorb excess juice. If the top of the filler looks a bit dry, that's fine--it means your carto is no longer flooded. Vape a drag or two--if the problem goes away you're fine. If it doesn't go away, or is initially fixed but returns, there is a problem in your system somewhere.

4. If you've never used tanks before, it can seem a bit complicated. This is a matter of something being more difficult to describe than it actually is to do. There is a learning curve, though, just like there is for vaping. If you have problems, don't be discouraged--most people love tanks once they get them working. With that in mind, though, some people prefer attys and some cartos; some people prefer dripping, some people like cartos/tanks and some people can only be satisfied by bottom feeders. The only thing that matters in the end is what works for you. Tanks are simply a way for cartos to hold more juice--if you prefer cartos then tanks will be heaven once you get your groove going, but if you prefer dripping or bottom feeders to cartos then tanks will not change that for you.

:thumb:

Last edited:

BrotherFrankie

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2012
WinterGarden Fl
great post pwyll
.. i jumped on the TANK band wagon using mom and pops mini.. took a few minutes but fell in love.. (fill screw hole on side is a nice touch)

like all things there is a learning curve.. i had problems with the CE2's and still do..

drip tips also, im finding juice type determins how many drops b4 i umm, leak?

appreciate the post either way pwyll

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
I can't get CE2's to work for me, either. Cannot get them to wick decently, even if I hold the thing on its side and have the juice nearly touching the coil. Guess I just suck too bad :laugh:

If my post helped you I'm glad. I tried tanks and didn't like them (back when the JonboyUSMC tank was fairly new and all the rage and a cheap tank was $35). I stuck with bottom feeders and cartos, but the cartos didn't last long enough to be convenient so I really wanted tanks to work. Wanted to try them again, but it was too expensive. Then Stormy started selling her Notta tanks (based on the same grommetted design Mom and Pop's are based on) and they were cheap enough give another go. It was being able to fiddle around with those that I discovered that most of my assumptions about tanks were based on misunderstandings. If a tank is not leaking juice, it's working--any other problem is somewhere else, and it was fiddling with the tank to fix other problems that was my initial downfall.

And that does remind me of another point--I need to go edit the numbered list...

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
Originally called the "Cartomizer, Edition 2" it was touted as a revolution in vaping. The CE2 puts the coil at the top, so the vape is warmer, and uses string to wick the juice from the fillerless tank beneath it. It was supposed to give you the convenience of a cartomizer with the flavour and performance of an atomizer. People that like them swear by them, but most people can't get them to work reliably enough to find them usable. "Most" in this case is largely technical, though--atomizers and cartomizers with filler outsell CE2's, but enough people like them to not only keep them in production but to keep driving innovations.

510CE2-2.jpg

BrotherFrankie

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2012
WinterGarden Fl
i have some that work well, and others that dont.. i still use them but switch between the tanks and cartos as well..

i am new to vaping (a few month's almost) but have spent hours and hours and hours and $100 and $100 of greenbacks to satisfy my OCD and nic cravings..

the CE2's are pretty good when they work. i paid too much for them at 10 bucks each.. (should get at least two weeks b4 they taste ick or wick slow..

I have the apollo Tanks and they are tempermental to say the least... never leak but very airy at times.. when i vape certain tobacco types in them they rock..

I was dripping my whole tobacco alkaloid from aroma but now mix it with ry4 and use the mini tank from mom and pop...

i need a holster for three different PV's and a holder on my pulpit when i preach (kiddin, i only vape during baptisms)

blessing folks, its bike week here and this ol grey bearded biker is a busy man this week sharin the love with those that may never known any b4..

Frankie

oh yeah, still smoke free..

Last edited:

VaVaunt

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
Florida, USA
Good information Frankie. Also seems like a great thread to ask questions. Even being new, you seem like you've got a handle on it. And so good to hear you're remaining smoke free. Me too. 10 weeks without one lousy drag on a cigarette. Even the thought of them now makes me sick. And that's a good thing.
Have a great time at Bike Fest!!!

P0P

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
C'Ville Virginia
momandpopvaporshop.com
In a tank system the cartos still do all the work, the tanks just hold extra juice so you don't have to refill as often.

It's like a car. The carto is the engine, the holes/slots are the fuel pump and carburetor, and the tanks is the gas tank. If the engine won't fire, or is weak and gives poor performance, it's not a hole in the gas tank. The fuel line may be clogged or the fuel pump defective (holes/slots too small or too few); the carburetor may be flooding (holes slots too big or too many) or there may be a problem in the engine (the coil and/or connector post). If the tank is faulty, all you're going to get is leaking gas (juice), but that's enough of a problem on its own that it does need to be fixed/replaced.

I think a lot of the misunderstanding with tanks comes from video reviews. Every single one of them has a "let's see how it vapes" segment, but the tank does absolutely nothing as far as vaping itself is concerned. Vaping is entirely a function of the atty/carto/PV combination. The only thing a tank does is hold juice. It can leak or not, it can slide around on the carto or not--but even delivering juice to refill the carto is a function of the holes/slots cut into the carto and not the tank itself. The only thing those segments show is how well the carto and PV work together, assuming the reviewer has filled the carto correctly in the first place; since it's the initial fill that's shown in the reviews the vaping demonstration is functionally identical to using the carto without a tank attached at all.

Whew, okay, didn't expect to get on a soapbox ;) Just some quick notes: I personally punch all my cartos myself, and the main reason is that I have never found a pre-punched carto that worked well for my vaping style. I don't know what I do differently since most people can find pre-punched cartos that work for them, but I can't. I only punch one hole because more than that consistently floods the carto for me.

1. If you are using a grommetted tank (like Mom and Pop's) and find them flooding, try scooting the bottom grommet up to partially cover the hole(s) and restrict the flow of juice. If you have the carto occasionally run dry, give a suck/draw/drag without firing the PV--this will pull a little more juice into the carto and "prime" it. Also, the viscosity of your juice will affect how big/many holes/slots you need. You can find the perfect balance, but if you change your juice you may need to adjust your feed system smaller for thinner juices or larger for thicker ones.

2. Tanks are designed to keep the carto full until the tank runs dry. One of the signs of a full carto is a slight gurgling--if you are not using a tank you will only get this on the first draw or two, if at all, so people are not used to hearing it as the tankless carto is using up juice as it is vaped. With a tank, the expended juice should be replaced as it is used so that the carto is always full. This means that with a properly working tank a slight gurgling should be expected. As long as your vapour production and flavour is good, a slight gurgling is a good thing (means everything's working).

3. If your vapour production is poor, there is little or no flavour, and/or you are getting juice in your mouth, the carto is flooded. The coil may not be firing or the holes/slots may be too much for your vaping style or you may have over-filled the carto or any number of things. Roll up a napkin or paper towel and slide it into the carto and up against the filler to absorb excess juice. If the top of the filler looks a bit dry, that's fine--it means your carto is no longer flooded. Vape a drag or two--if the problem goes away you're fine. If it doesn't go away, or is initially fixed but returns, there is a problem in your system somewhere.

4. If you've never used tanks before, it can seem a bit complicated. This is a matter of something being more difficult to describe than it actually is to do. There is a learning curve, though, just like there is for vaping. If you have problems, don't be discouraged--most people love tanks once they get them working. With that in mind, though, some people prefer attys and some cartos; some people prefer dripping, some people like cartos/tanks and some people can only be satisfied by bottom feeders. The only thing that matters in the end is what works for you. Tanks are simply a way for cartos to hold more juice--if you prefer cartos then tanks will be heaven once you get your groove going, but if you prefer dripping or bottom feeders to cartos then tanks will not change that for you.

:thumb:

Holy vapor pwyll I fill tank to read this one wow. scuba how you do sticky?:):banana:

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
Bottom feeders are a vast subject. There are at least three different feeding methods that involve two vastly different "styles"--all of which have their supporters and detractors. The two main "styles" of feeding are the squeeze method (often called "squonking" after a term developed by the REO crowd) and the "tilt and shoot." Bottom feeders have a tube running through the hole in an open connector to a reservoir bottle of juice. The tube may or may not extend past the connector to enter the atty. If the tube stops at the top of the bottle, you have to turn the mod upside down to get juice to the tube to squeeze it into the atty; if the tube extends to the bottom of the bottle then you simply have to squeeze it to feed juice into the atty.

Wooden bottom feeders currently available include the Hog's Mod, Red Sky Mods, The Grip Feeder, and occasionally the REO Woodville. The only metal one I am aware of is the REO, both Mini and Grande. Old Goat has stopped making his plastic-box bottom feeders, but others are available (they just come and go to quickly for me to keep up with), and the VMod is a chinese-manufactured available from Vapage (and now others). That's not an exhaustive list, but it's what I can think of off the top of my head and all of them can be found here on ECF.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread