DARWIN!! From EVOLVAPOR.COM – My Overview and First Impressions – Newest PRE-Production Prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
DARWIN!! From EVOLVAPOR.COM – My Overview and First Impressions – Newest PRE-Production Prototype

I have had over 20 mods & devices. I have also written what I consider more to be over-views/”First Impressions”, as compared to “reviews”, on only 3 of them. I do not consider myself to be a “reviewer” but I do enjoy sharing my perceptions when I am impressed. While I do include my opinions, the simple fact that I have written/posted on only three (prior to this one) is a pretty clear indicator that these devices impress me enough to spend the time to share. I try to be thorough about all aspects I see.

I have always purchased my devices. In one instance, I did receive a discount for prototyping a device and I was clear about that in my post. This is the first time I did not pay money for a device. However, there are 2 reasons (and only 2 reasons) I have this final version pre-production prototype. 1) I have no affiliation with Evolvapor (manufacturer of Darwin) or any other vape vendor or manufacturer. When I saw this device posted here in ECF, I PM’d IcaBod (Evolv) and offered an idea. I suggested that the folding atty connector could be a Master On/Off switch. IcaBod and the Evolv team looked into the idea and decided to put it into the device. 2) After then reading my other posts, the Evolv team decided they wanted my thoughts on the device before final launch. So, while I did not pay to use this prototype, I have already committed to purchase a full production unit. The following points are 100% my observations, perceptions and opinions complimented by a few facts provided by Evolv. This post is 100% of my own volition. I have never agreed or promised to post about any device and I never will.

So, grab your favorite vape and let’s get into it.

Darwin is unlike any other device on the market (so far). There is one other “smart” device presently on the market named ProVari. Many of you may have seen my “First Impressions” post on that device and it is very clear that I am very impressed with it. As ProVari is the only other device, so far, using a Printed Circuit Board (PCB), I really have no choice other than to use it for comparison. Eclipse is another coming “smart” device using a PCB but that device is a feeder and Darwin is not; so I will stick with non-feed comparisons. But, for what it’s worth, Eclipse – while variable voltage (with many impressive features) – appears to not adjust/set to watts (heat levels).

There is just no point in trying to compare Darwin to any device that is not using a PCB. “Smart” devices are the next evolution in e-cigs – there is just no way around this point. One can try to compare an iPhone (or Android) to a basic (“calls only”) cell phone but it is really comparing apples and oranges. I have many other non-“smart” devices and like them very much. There will always be those who enjoy non-“smart” ecigs but Evolv has taken the e-cig device to the next evolutionary step - beyond anything existing.

The device looks different because it IS different. As I mentioned, the atty connector swivels to an “up” (on) position, a “down” (off”) position and is “on” pretty much everywhere in between. This allows vaping with the atty at various angles. On the prototype, the power on/off connection is not in its final design so the atty needs to be in the full up position for consistent vaping. But, the design for production units has already been improved to allow us to vape with the atty at any angle above the full down position (can’t wait to use this).

CIMG1899.jpg

The LCD display provides readouts of the Watts (heat) setting, currently vaping volts, currently vaping amps, the current Ohms reading of the atty, and a battery level indicator (with bars – similar to a cell phone). The prototype I am using, being a pre-production unit, does not yet display the current Ohms but the final production devices will show this. The display also lights up when the button is activated.

There are two controls: the activation button, which only activates the atty for vaping, and an adjustment “wheel” (see pics). To make a change in the watts (heat) setting, just turn the wheel and see the setting change on the display. The range of settable watts is from 4.2 watts up to 12.7 watts. There is a sort of center stopping spot on the wheel at 8.5 watts (very convenient). The volts and amps indicators show “0.0V” and “0.0A” when the button is not pressed for vape activation. Right now, I have this one set at 8.5 Watts using a Joye 302 atty rated at 3.1 Ohms. When I press the activation button, the display reads “5.2V” and “1.6A”. If I turn the watts setting up to 10 watts and press the vape activation button, the display reads: “5.5V” and “1.8A”. On the production unit, the display will show Ohms reading consistent with the others ("0.0" until activated and then readout actual ohms).

We CAN change the watts (heat) setting during activation (while drawing vapor).

Darwin’s voltage range is from 3.7 thru 12.9 volts and Darwin’s batts are high “C” rated with the ability to push up to 3 Amps, possibly more.

I am told the final button is being custom molded and will the same size but solid, not the flat brass band you see on this prototype.

CIMG1905.jpg

CIMG1892.jpg

CIMG1894.jpg

To be very clear, I am Not an Electrical Engineer (EE) and make absolutely no claims to having any engineering credentials or qualifications. So, while I know there are several EEs who have been monitoring the threads and posting about this device (and they have definite positions about what is possible according to Ohms Law), I am not qualified to engage in those discussions. While I do have an elementary appreciation for some of the underlying principles of Ohms Law, it would at least appear that this device does (as it HAS TO) completely apply ALL aspects of Ohms Law. So, while I cannot address the “how” (as this device incorporates proprietary designs, programming and engineering - to which I am not privy), it is very clear that the device does do certain things differently from any other e-cig/mod/device.

Volts are variable but the device’s microprocessor does the controlling (voltage changes) automatically. The device constantly monitors the Ohms of the atty and constantly makes changes to the volts (even during a hit) in order to maintain constant watts (heat level). As the EEs have already posted, Amps are also part of the overall Ohms law equation. When we activate the device, we can see that the Amps level is also changing. While it seems to me that if Ohms are at a certain level and the device changes the volts to maintain a constant heat level, in compliance with Ohms Law - the amps have to change accordingly (as needed). But, the power management (microprocessor programming and functions) are part of the manufacturer’s proprietary design and, as I said, I do not have that information.

Those of us who have been vaping for a while know there are MANY variables contributing to the overall vape experience. Various batts have different voltages and max amps output levels, attys have different Ohms ratings (which can vary up to +/- .3 ohms), the various wiring and connections in each device, and even the components within the attys themselves can create variances between two of the same size/model attys. Airflow and juices are also variables. But, ultimately, as many know, heat (watts) is the primary factor in creating vapor. Variable volt devices, which allow us to set a fixed voltage at various set levels, was obviously the first step in trying to control the various heat levels. However, even though some devices can set various fixed voltage points (and some more accurately than others), the issue of ohms changing makes maintaining consistent heat level more difficult.

If we look at the only other digitally controlled (PCB) device, like ProVari, ProVari sets voltage points very accurately in .1 volt increments and digitally holds that voltage point stable. The engineers present, if I understand their points, atty ohms may vary during activation but the variations are very small. However, Ohms also appear to fluctuate in an attys resistance over the life of the atty. I have been using the Joye 302 (and other 801 series) attys primarily for a long time now so I have much less experience with the various 510s, 306s and 901s anymore. But, I have often put a brand new 3.1 ohms 302 atty on devices at 5-ish volts and seen the ohms reading drop to the 2.6 range in periods between 4 hours and 4 days. So, when this happens I start noticing my vape getting hotter and hotter and eventually getting a burnt taste. This happens because as the ohms start dropping, and the volts remain the same, the heat level (watts) increases.

ProVari has many wonderful features which include (but are not limited to) a built in ohms meter and digitally controlled voltage settings. As the first device to offer these features, I was immediately enamored with that device. However, when we compare those features (and how they function) to Darwin – there are some very significant differences. Taking the example of my 302 atty, I notice it getting progressively hotter over time. So, on ProVari, if I want to know and alter the details/settings – I activate the various meters and recalculate the volt setting for a different heat level. One could argue that we can just lower the volts settings but lets walk thru the process steps to compare to Darwin.

On ProVari:
- Active the Ohms meter = 13 button presses and wait 2 seconds to see the Ohms
- To reduce the volts = 7 more button presses to get to “Power Down mode”, then wait 2 seconds and then press/hold or press once for each .1 volt change
- Try vaping at new setting and if not “right”, repeat the last step to further lower or press 5 times to activate “Voltage Up mode”.

Now, please do not misunderstand my intentions, I truly like the ProVari. But, the simple facts are facts and ALL of this information is ALWAYS displayed on the Darwin screen – just look and it’s all there. If you want to change the heat level, turn the thumb wheel to a new setting and vape (takes about 2 seconds to adjust in either direction).

Now, the more important point – at least to me – is that Darwin’s microprocessor will maintain that set watts (heat) level regardless of changes in the atomizer ohms. So, as the 302 atty ohms drop over time (be that 4 hours or four days), Darwin is constantly reading the Ohms and making constant changes (automatically) to make sure we enjoy 100% consistent heat level of our vapor. If we watch the Darwin screen, we can see the volt settings change and the amps change correspondingly (as needed according to Ohms Law – I presume). Additionally, if we change to a completely different atty/carto style (with different ohms rating), Darwin reads the Ohms and makes the adjustments to keep the vapor at the set watts (heat level). As others have posted, once we know the heat level (watts settings) for any given juice – we can use that setting regardless of the atty/carto. There may still be slight variations but we are automatically right in the immediate range and adjustments take only a second or two.

Another factor: using a fixed voltage setting (ProVari or any other device), if we chain vape, power hit or multi-hit (which I often do) the atomizer continues to heat up progressively. Perhaps these changes are not huge fluctuations but they are enough to feel the heat level of the vapor increase and the flavor of the vapor also changes. It can sometimes even start to get that burnt taste (I notice this most if I triple or multi-hit in succession). Darwin is constantly monitoring and adjusting for watts (heat output) so the hits stay consistent until it is time to feed the atty (start getting dry atty taste).

The final outcome of this comparison, at least for me, is that on set voltage (any other VV device) I get heat and taste fluctuations in multi-hit mode and even more over time as the atty ohms change. Using Darwin – we enjoy 100% consistent vapor heat and taste hit after hit after hit throughout the life of an atty. We do not have to constantly go thru a series of menu/button presses to read anything or change anything (no screw drivers or external meters either) – all the readings are right on the display and the Darwin microprocessor does all the work and adjustments for us – we just vape smooth and consistent vapor and flavor throughout each hit and from first hit to last.

The first analogy that comes to mind is the manual heating systems in some cars compared to the fully automatic climate control systems in other cars. In the manual style, there is a slider or knob to set an approximate temperature and a separate knob or slider to set the fan level. The car will continue to pump those settings no matter happens to the temperature inside the car. If you want to change it, you have to manually adjust the temp and/or fan settings. Alternatively, the fully automatic climate control system you set for a specific temperature; the system monitors the temperature in the car and automatically adjusts the heat levels and fan levels accordingly to maintain that set temperature level.

Lets look at some size dimensions on Darwin:
Darwin’s main body (atty folded in the down position) is approximately 5.5” long, about 1.12” wide and barely over ½” thick (noticeably thinner than a standard 2xAA batt box - e.g. Bartleby). At the atty connector (swivel) the overall width is about 1.63”. Of course whichever atty or carto we use will increase the overall length with the atty/carto in the “up” position. See pics for size comparison to some other devices.

CIMG1896.jpg

CIMG1897.jpg

CIMG1891.jpg

While the 5.5” length is a bit on the long side when compared to other devices, the ½” slimness and overall shape of the body make the device very pocket-friendly. I love the folding atty and the device turning “off” when the atty is folded. It is so easy, just a flick of my thumb and the atty is folded and the device is turned completely off. A quick flick of my thumb and the device is “on” ready to vape.

Some other specifications:
Evolv will very soon be posting a full list of specifications and features on their web site Evolv, LLC and I am hoping we will see full production units available before the end of the month – if not earlier.

The body is double hard coat anodized aluminum leaving it extremely durable with a wonderful sort of silky feel to the touch and hand. It is a bit heavy, but less heavy than Provari with an 18650 batt – probably very close to ProVari with 18490 batt.

CIMG1910.jpg

The batteries are 2 lithium polymer cells – not prism (regular tube batts). These are very similar to the batteries used in iphones. The batts are rated 1800 mAh and, according to Evolv, lithium polymer cells are more true to mAh ratings than prism (other replaceable tube style) batts. The battery meter is displayed in bars (like a cell phone) and the gauge does not really show depletion until about halfway thru the battery charge. Then it starts dropping. I started today with a full charge. I have been vaping solidly on the device for over 5 hours and the gauge still shows full bars.

The device is charged by simply plugging in the included AC to mini USB wire and fully charges in 3 hours. Another wonderful feature is that Darwin incorporates “smart charging” technology so you can leave it plugged in and the device basically shuts off the charge cycle when charge is complete. So, when we go to sleep we can plug it in and forget it. If all this is not enough, we can use USB to mini USB cable and charge via USB. This all goes one-step further in that we can use the device (Passthru style) while it is charging.

While we cannot just pop out the battery and throw in a new one, these batteries seem to be lasting even the heaviest of vapors more than a full day and we can certainly recharge while we sleep. We can also plug into any AC or USB (including car sockets with the proper cig-lighter/USB adapter) and continue right on vaping. But, the USB to mini USB cable does not come with the device – I am told these are standard and available at most electronics stores. One final note on the battery system, the device automatically stops activating the atty when it needs to be recharged. The screen displays “VVV” to confirm this status. These batteries are rated for over 1,000 recharge cycles.

The Darwin comes with a full 2 year warranty on the device and 1 year warranty on the batteries (you won’t find 1 yr batt warranty anywhere else). We do have to send the device to Evolv to replace batteries (iPhone sytle). I am told replacement battery cost will be $25 and comes with a brand new full 1-year warranty on the new battery.

So far I have only used my beloved 302 atty on Darwin but you can bet I will run this baby thru its paces with every atty and carto in my arsenal. So far I am enjoying the biggest plumes of vapor (from any device and atty combo) and the absolutely most consistent heat levels and flavors from my juices. None of my other devices vape this well. Sorry to all my other devices, I will continue to enjoy them but Darwin is the one (at least so far) that will have to be wrestled from MY hands!

The ONLY down side to this device I have found so far is that due to the voluminous plumes of vapor – I am going thru much more juice :lol: More vapor equals more juice – there is just no way around THAT!

The Darwin device comes as a complete package: Device, batteries (installed) and charger (all inclusive) for $229. This makes Darwin the lowest priced total package of any of the “smart” devices out or coming in the foreseeable future. Before anyone objects on behalf of ProVari, add up the price of the device, batts, 18650 extension and warranty extension (to make it equivalent to Darwin’s 2 year warranty). Remember, Darwin’s batts have a full one year warranty – no other device (or batts) offers this.

Evolvapor has clearly invested tremendous amounts of time, engineering sophistication and RESOURCES to develop Darwin. This is clearly a precision manufactured device. I look forward to their debut announcements and seeing what they post to introduce themselves to us. Evolvapor may not be a well-known manufacturer in the vaping community – YET. But you can bet we will all know about Evolv VERY SOON and I cannot wait to see what else they have up their sleeves.

----------------------------------------
I will be traveling extensively over the next week, possibly longer. I will only have access to internet occasionally (possibly only once every other day). So, please be patient if my replies take time to post.

Happy :vapor:

Travis798

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Oklahoma
So why are we adding the 18650 extension to the ProVari price? Simply to make it more expensive than the Darwin since the Provari comes out on top if you simply add the charger, batteries and one year extended warranty?

I keep finding it very odd that the only people that seem to experience a huge change in resistance in an atomizer during use are those that are trying to build up the Darwin.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
So why are we adding the 18650 extension to the ProVari price? Simply to make it more expensive than the Darwin since the Provari comes out on top if you simply add the charger, batteries and one year extended warranty?

First, I hope you notice that I have, and clearly demonstrate, great respect and appreciation for ProVari. I posted a thorough "First Impressions" on that device as well as acknowledge how much I like it in this post. As to your question about the price of the extension, it is merely to make the two devices more equal in batt life on a single charge. The 18490 batt is 1100 mAh. The 18650 batt (which requires the extension), is 1600 mAh. Darwin is 1800 mAh.

Last edited:

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas

I keep finding it very odd that the only people that seem to experience a huge change in resistance in an atomizer during use are those that are trying to build up the Darwin.

I thought the extension was included to have the ProVari in maximum configuration; at least that how I read it. But, the extension is 20 bucks and if that gets under anyone's skin, simply deduct it and redo the math. Do a few bucks on either make or break anything?

Travis798

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Oklahoma
First, I hope you notice that I have, and clearly demonstrate, great respect and appreciation for ProVari. I posted a thorough "First Impressions" on that device as well as acknowledge how much I like it in this post. As to your question about the price of the extension, it is merely to make the two devices more equal in batt life on a single charge. The 18490 batt is 1100 mAh. The 18650 batt (which requires the extension), is 1600 mAh. Darwin is 1800 mAh.

The ProVari has replaceable batteries. The battery life does not need to be equal. I priced the ProVari as being cheaper than the Darwin with two 18490 batteries, which equals things out nicely IMHO. That brings us up to 2200 mAh vs 1800mAh Darwin.

I sincerely hope that the Darwin is as good as the few people that have used it claim it to be, but there has already been enough mis-information put out there in regards to the Darwin, and saying it is cheaper than the ProVari is, in my opinion, continuing down that road.

If you do not already have 18650 or 18490 batteries and a charger, the Darwin and Provari are pretty dang close in price, but the nudge goes to the ProVari, not the Darwin.

Joed

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2010
Western NY - US
The only thing that is keeping me from considering the Darwin as my next mod is the built in battery. From my understanding rechargeable batteries have a 1 year life or less and then they will not take or hold a charge anymore. I can not see myself shipping off my Darwin to have the batteries replaced or discarding it when the batteries reach the end of their life cycle. Can someone correct me if I am wrong here please.

On all other accounts I am impressed with the Darwin from the write up I have read about it's capabilities.

AngusATAT

Captain Tightpants
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
GA, USA
The only thing that is keeping me from considering the Darwin as my next mod is the built in battery. From my understanding rechargeable batteries have a 1 year life or less and then they will not take or hold a charge anymore. I can not see myself shipping off my Darwin to have the batteries replaced or discarding it when the batteries reach the end of their life cycle. Can someone correct me if I am wrong here please.

That's true if you are talking about Lithium Ion batteries, like what we have been using in other mods. The Darwin uses LiPo batts, which are the same as what they use in the iPhone, etc. They're designed to last much longer. You should get a good three years from these batteries, and even then, replacements are only going to be around $25.

IndustrialAction

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
Northern VA
Very nice, thorough review!

I do have an objection to the implication that watts and heat are synonymous but I guess we can leave that alone for now.

I also do not think that the price comparison is fair but I guess that depends on what you already have and what you decide to buy.

Even with the review, I, personally, am still not sold on the Darwin. The overall look of the mod is not for me and I will never like the atomizer connection. It is nice that it is an on/off switch but it is still an awkward design, IMPO.

Also, you mentioned that the device's range is from 3.7V to 12.9V. What happens when I want to vape at 8W and I attach a 1.5Ω atty? The device should lower itself to 3.46V (3.5) but it doesn't look like that is possible. If I'm a person that prefers a cooler vape but only have a low resistance atomizer sitting around, then the Darwin can't accommodate me. Furthermore, if the device's maximum wattage output is 12.7 and the maximum voltage output is 12.9, you don't really have as many options as it would seem.

I do think that what the Darwin does it really a great advance. I may have to try one out some day.

Thanks again for the review!

Sacker

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2010
USA - Honolulu, HI
great info and thanks for the review.

My only concern from a consumer point of view since the battery service was already answered in your review, what is considered wear and tear on the weakest point of this device. The swivel contacts for turning it in down position/up position.

I'm still kinda on the fence about any Propietary Battery, since consumers that want to change it will have to turn in. Maybe make it more serviceable where consumers can just go online to Evolv and buy the battery packs to replace themselves. Just an idea.

Of course it leads to more headaches about warranties/if consumers can actually replace such battery and install it correctly... LOL.

Overall this PV functions look outstanding, now it just needs a feeder on it :)

thanks

Its been said before, and I will say it again, the battery is NOT proprietary. A replacement battery will be available from Evolv or you can order it from a different source. You can replace the battery yourself or Evolv can replace it for you. From what I have been told, its soldered into place and anyone with basic skills can replace the battery.

While the unit is under warranty, I am sure that the smart thing to do would be to send the unit back and let Evolv do any and all replacements.

Mr.Self_Destruct

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2010
Queens, NY
Excellent review.

The Darwin is the only mod that actually got me excited. I have been very interested in this mod since mutt introduced it.

Saturday night I had an opportunity to try the Darwin and it is outstanding and very impressive.

I am certainly going to be saving my pennies for this device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread