Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
This is my 4th day of vaping. I've smoked cigs for almost 50 years and really, really really need and want to quit. I woke this morning and for the first time in I can't remember when, my lungs didn't hurt too bad. That didn't last too long when I took my first vape, here comes the cough. I nose hit the first few puffs and then sucked one in and cough, cough, cough. I'm hoping it gets better. I went back to my vape shop on Day 2 and they said that was not uncommon for long time smokers and switched out my juice for some all VG juice. I have to take small hits to avoid the cough, but I'm getting some nic nonetheless. I always make sure I have some cold liqiud before I start vaping and have a drink after every puff. This seems to help. I'm not going to give up and I know I need to get off the cigs. BTW, I'm using an Innokin ITaste VV for my delivery system.

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA
Hang in there BigCatDaddy! Every time you vape is a battle won. It's not always easy and sometimes can get frustrating when things don't work properly but it's the learning curve we all have had to accustom ourselves to and it gets easier.

You said it's getting a little better - where do you feel there's room for improvement? Flavor? Vapor? Consistency? Let us know!

Vape well, vape often :vapor:

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
You said it's getting a little better - where do you feel there's room for improvement? Flavor? Vapor? Consistency? Let us know!

Vape well, vape often :vapor:

I'm good with the flavors I've got right now, I'd just like to get a good vapor cloud in without blowing a lung out!! When I was at the vapor store, most of the customers and employees were inhaling and exhaling massive clouds of vapor. I have to take quick little hits to avoid the hacking. Maybe they were just all showing off!! I'm hoping this will pass as my body gets used to the vapor and no longer getting smoke. Even with all of that, this has been the easiest attempt I've had to quit cigs. I'm usually sneaking several cigs a day at this point. I've allowed myself a couple each day, but plan cutting them out entirely soon.

MoonLit_Water

We All Shine On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stuart, Florida
Welcome to the forum
All Your thoughts are on track, slowly backing off the ciggs is the way to go, it's different for everyone so set Your own pace and remember it's the ones that you do not smoke that are the important ones. One good trick is when smoking the stink sticks maybe only smoke 3/4 or 1/2 of it to help ween off them.

And You will want to increase Your water intake vaping does dehydrate You.

Your lungs will continue to heal and YOu will start to feel better, the big clouds of vapor are on there way, give it time and enjoy Your vape.

Any question You may have are welcome so do not hesitate to ask anything You mat be wondering about.

RBBR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
Fort Worth,TX, USA
Welcome to the forum! The first two weeks of vaping were rough for me, and I've heard others say the same. The first lung hit of vapor almost floored me. Like you, was taking tiny puffs and trying not to lose a lung. Believe me, it gets much better. I have read that a lot of nicotine is absorbed through the soft tissue in the mouth and nose, so full inhalation isn't neccesary to get nicotine in your system. Good luck, we are all rooting for you:D

Some things to think about to make sure things are correct. Does your juice taste the same in your device as they do when testing them?

Often times your delivery system is different than what you are using at the B&M store. I had the same issues when i started and came to find out i was testing juices out of a better delivery system.

And the other thing i did not knowing is cranked up the volts or watts thinking better vape and was actually making it a less smooth and harsher vape.

I also changed to VG and that helped tremendously.

If you are using a typical beginner head with top wick ensure you tip that sucker and watch the liquid go towards the mouth piece in the morning or you will get nothing but a burnt dry silica wick taste and it will make you cough.

The other item to remember is that coils are MASS produced and some last hours while others may last an entire week. That is why i asked about your testing vs. using your stuff.

Congrats Go for day 5

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
Try inhaling into your mouth like it was a cigar or a milkshake, and then exhale right through your nose. You'll get the same amount of nicotine, if not more, than from a lung inhale, and you're much less likely to cough. Of course if you do that with 100% VG you may feel a bit of a runny nose, it's just water condensing in your nasal cavity, that passed for me very quickly once I kept doing it. I vaped like that for a few weeks when I was sick with a cold, as my lungs were clogged with other crap and made it hard to do my natural lung inhale.. Of course I'm just as addicted to the lung-full of vapor/smoke, as well as the other physical sensations, so I do the lung inhale when I'm able. I also only smoked for three years, a pack or two a week tops, and I'm young, so my lungs are in good enough shape I can do full lung inhales when I'm healthy and not be bothered by it, if you've smoked for that long you're going to want to try the cigar-style inhales and out the nose until you give your lungs a chance to get all the buildup out, otherwise you'll choke on the vapor. Just my opinion on the matter, and something to consider trying. It's a weird feeling if you're not a cigar smoker, but it may make life easier while you transition.

XeniaMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Xenia, Ohio
Like you, I also had a bit of a reaction at first. I found the answer for me was technique. With cigs I just inhaled directly, but I've found with vapor I take a long slow drag into the mouth holding it there for a few secs and then slightly inhale but exhale through my nose. That give me the nicotine while not giving the lungs very much. It become 2nd nature after awhile. More like enjoying a nice cigar. Everyone is different, that's just what works for me.

I've reached the stage of lung healing where you have a tickle in your throat occasionally as they try to clear themselves out. Annoying.

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
Welcome to the forum
All Your thoughts are on track, slowly backing off the ciggs is the way to go, it's different for everyone so set Your own pace and remember it's the ones that you do not smoke that are the important ones. One good trick is when smoking the stink sticks maybe only smoke 3/4 or 1/2 of it to help ween off them.

And You will want to increase Your water intake vaping does dehydrate You.

Your lungs will continue to heal and YOu will start to feel better, the big clouds of vapor are on there way, give it time and enjoy Your vape.

Any question You may have are welcome so do not hesitate to ask anything You mat be wondering about.

Thanx for the info, much appreciated!!

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
Like you, I also had a bit of a reaction at first. I found the answer for me was technique. With cigs I just inhaled directly, but I've found with vapor I take a long slow drag into the mouth holding it there for a few secs and then slightly inhale but exhale through my nose. That give me the nicotine while not giving the lungs very much. It become 2nd nature after awhile. More like enjoying a nice cigar. Everyone is different, that's just what works for me.

That's kinda what I've been doing, just taking it in but not inhaling then forcing it out thru my nose. Thanx for the info and the reply!! Ooops, almost time for football!!

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
Try inhaling into your mouth like it was a cigar or a milkshake, and then exhale right through your nose. You'll get the same amount of nicotine, if not more, than from a lung inhale, and you're much less likely to cough. Of course if you do that with 100% VG you may feel a bit of a runny nose, it's just water condensing in your nasal cavity, that passed for me very quickly once I kept doing it. I vaped like that for a few weeks when I was sick with a cold, as my lungs were clogged with other crap and made it hard to do my natural lung inhale.. Of course I'm just as addicted to the lung-full of vapor/smoke, as well as the other physical sensations, so I do the lung inhale when I'm able. I also only smoked for three years, a pack or two a week tops, and I'm young, so my lungs are in good enough shape I can do full lung inhales when I'm healthy and not be bothered by it, if you've smoked for that long you're going to want to try the cigar-style inhales and out the nose until you give your lungs a chance to get all the buildup out, otherwise you'll choke on the vapor. Just my opinion on the matter, and something to consider trying. It's a weird feeling if you're not a cigar smoker, but it may make life easier while you transition.

Thanx for taking the time to reply and the input is noted and much appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread