The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

De-Knurled and Polished AGA-T

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by Bad_Habit, Nov 18, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Bad_Habit

Bad_Habit This is Bat Country Verified Member ECF Veteran

Just finished doing 1 of my 2 aga-t's

I think it turned out awesome - you may think I only did the knurled areas but to keep it uniform I sanded the entire unit down then polished it back out what do you think of this sweet baby :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is on my provari used to be satin I took it apart and sanded and polished it all the way back to like chrome finish and they go together very well now :)
    [​IMG]

Pretty much a mirror finish took about 30 minutes to do this only using a drill to hold it in place I never even had to touch my wood lathe - Not bad for 30 minutes and 12$ for the AGA-T

2. Bad_Habit

Here are both side by side just finished the 2nd in a brushed finish

[​IMG]

Think Zmax brushed stainless I got it almost identical to it :)

3. Bad_Habit

4. Soulfree

Soulfree Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 1, 2012
    S.F Bay Area, Ca
    Very nice. I'm getting a couple in a coop that's still live. Interested in doing this as well. Did you file it down before sanding? Also what polish did you use. Looks great.

5. Bad_Habit

60 grit to get rid of the knurls then I went to 120grit with the top cap back on the aga-t and went all the way up to 3000 no polish used -

The brushed was as simple a 60 grit to take down the knurl which took about 10 minutes and then I just used 120 grit for the brushed look just keep the sandpaper still and let the drill do the work - no up and down just sand the entire piece at one time and switch to newer paper as needed to keep the whole aga-t brush look consistent -

6. Bad_Habit

a 8/32 x 2" screw and nut to hold them together and the extra bit of the screw into the chuck to hold in place

Just use a clamp to keep the drill going and clamp the drill down to keep it in place while you sand away - a lathe would be easier but didn't feel like messing with it today

7. Soulfree

Soulfree Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 1, 2012
    S.F Bay Area, Ca
    Very nice I'll try this when I get mine. What polish did u use?

8. robocog

robocog Full Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Gosport UK
    Looks fab- you should be well pleased with the result
    Esp like the brushed (less of a finger print magnet)

Regards
    Rob

9. Bad_Habit

I did not use any polish -

10. horton

horton ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 11, 2010
    Left Side of Florida
    Beautiful work, Bad_Habit. You are a true artist. I can't get over the fact you got that beautiful finish using no polish.
    I'll look forward to seeing more of your creative modifications in the future!!

11. asdaq

asdaq Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Looks great and I like the methods too. Is your 3000 grit well worn? I've got a piece of 2000 much used that puts on nice shine as well. Are you using wet/dry or emory cloth for certain grits?

12. orion7319

orion7319 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Wonder if this will work on a vivi nova mini... Don't know if they are solid aluminum or just plated.

13. dsy5

dsy5 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    New York

Nice! That was the first thing I wanted to do when I got mine - the knurling is pretty damn ugly. How is it to screw/unscrew without the knurling? My cap is quite a beast to get on.

I thought that since it was stainleess, you would need to put it on a lathe, but aparrently not. Maybe I will try it using my drill press.

14. dsy5

Nov 18, 2010
    New York
    Ok, here is my deknurling project so far...

deknurl1.jpg

deknurl2.jpg

Pictures are from my web cam at work, so they are not that great. The top one is the Birkshire(Rev 2 of the AGA Tiamat) and the second one is the original Rev 1 AGA-T from Discount Vapors.

The top cap on the Rev 1 has coarser threads and no recess at the o-ring, so it is difficult to screw/unscrew the top cap from the body; therefore I left some knurling on. You can also see that it has a much larger knurling pattern and the domed top cap is not as tapered. I 'framed' the tank with knurling and just removed a portion on the bottom.

I have 1 more Birkshire to do and I think I will try the satin finish to more complement my Zmax. The polished ones do look nice on my chrome Provari.

I did not take any stock off the caps - the Birkshire cap is already fairly thin walled and I didn't want to overdo it. The look is still pretty fluid.

15. Lentulusbatiatus

Lentulusbatiatus Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 19, 2012
    Wakefield
    Nice work they look really good, this is something on my to-do list.

16. Bad_Habit

17. dsy5

Nov 18, 2010
    New York
    Thanks, I owe you one for the technique! I didn't think I would be able to do a very good job without using a lathe, but...

I finished my third one and put the satin finish on it to match the Zmax stainless - I used a Scotchbrite pad instead of 150 grit emery and it came out pretty nice.

18. Bad_Habit

post a pic of the brushed / satin finish

19. dsy5

Nov 18, 2010
    New York
    Here's the satin finished one.

DSCF0027.jpg

Keep in mind my camera isn't great - can you see that the center post is a bit on the yellowish side? Seems that this is the only part (aside maybe from the pos post) that isn't stainless. I tried polishing it on my wheel and that faint glow of brass started to peek through. I stopped polishing as soon as I noticed it. It's chrome plated brass.

20. sllanham

sllanham Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 21, 2012
    Martinsburg,Wv
    That is really cool, very good work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.