Not open for further replies.

Bad_Habit

This is Bat Country
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2011
Fredericksburg Va/ FredVegas Baby
Just finished doing 1 of my 2 aga-t's

I think it turned out awesome - you may think I only did the knurled areas but to keep it uniform I sanded the entire unit down then polished it back out what do you think of this sweet baby :)

Picture53.jpg

Picture54.jpg

And this is on my provari used to be satin I took it apart and sanded and polished it all the way back to like chrome finish and they go together very well now :)
Picture55.jpg

Pretty much a mirror finish took about 30 minutes to do this only using a drill to hold it in place I never even had to touch my wood lathe - Not bad for 30 minutes and 12$ for the AGA-T

Bad_Habit

This is Bat Country
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2011
60 grit to get rid of the knurls then I went to 120grit with the top cap back on the aga-t and went all the way up to 3000 no polish used -

The brushed was as simple a 60 grit to take down the knurl which took about 10 minutes and then I just used 120 grit for the brushed look just keep the sandpaper still and let the drill do the work - no up and down just sand the entire piece at one time and switch to newer paper as needed to keep the whole aga-t brush look consistent -

Bad_Habit

This is Bat Country
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2011
a 8/32 x 2" screw and nut to hold them together and the extra bit of the screw into the chuck to hold in place

Just use a clamp to keep the drill going and clamp the drill down to keep it in place while you sand away - a lathe would be easier but didn't feel like messing with it today

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
Just finished doing 1 of my 2 aga-t's

I think it turned out awesome - you may think I only did the knurled areas but to keep it uniform I sanded the entire unit down then polished it back out what do you think of this sweet baby :)

Nice! That was the first thing I wanted to do when I got mine - the knurling is pretty damn ugly. How is it to screw/unscrew without the knurling? My cap is quite a beast to get on.

I thought that since it was stainleess, you would need to put it on a lathe, but aparrently not. Maybe I will try it using my drill press.

Last edited:

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
Ok, here is my deknurling project so far...

deknurl1.jpg

deknurl2.jpg

Pictures are from my web cam at work, so they are not that great. The top one is the Birkshire(Rev 2 of the AGA Tiamat) and the second one is the original Rev 1 AGA-T from Discount Vapors.

The top cap on the Rev 1 has coarser threads and no recess at the o-ring, so it is difficult to screw/unscrew the top cap from the body; therefore I left some knurling on. You can also see that it has a much larger knurling pattern and the domed top cap is not as tapered. I 'framed' the tank with knurling and just removed a portion on the bottom.

I have 1 more Birkshire to do and I think I will try the satin finish to more complement my Zmax. The polished ones do look nice on my chrome Provari.

I did not take any stock off the caps - the Birkshire cap is already fairly thin walled and I didn't want to overdo it. The look is still pretty fluid.

Last edited:

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
yea looks nice :)

Thanks, I owe you one for the technique! I didn't think I would be able to do a very good job without using a lathe, but...

I finished my third one and put the satin finish on it to match the Zmax stainless - I used a Scotchbrite pad instead of 150 grit emery and it came out pretty nice.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
Here's the satin finished one.

DSCF0027.jpg

Keep in mind my camera isn't great - can you see that the center post is a bit on the yellowish side? Seems that this is the only part (aside maybe from the pos post) that isn't stainless. I tried polishing it on my wheel and that faint glow of brass started to peek through. I stopped polishing as soon as I noticed it. It's chrome plated brass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread