De-wicking atomizers, would it make sense for RES use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slo Ryd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2009
City of Trees
www.innovapor.com
I keep reading that for dripping de-wicking has considerable advantages. What about an Alpha with RES?

I think it definitely helps. I never knew what de-wicking was until not too long ago. Now that I know I always de-wick any atomizer before I use it. I notice the RES has a much better draw if you de-wick. Just seems like the liquid can travel from the RES to the atomizer much faster if the wick is removed. Not to mention you get much better flavor out of your liquid.

Slo Ryd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2009
City of Trees
www.innovapor.com
That's a really straight answer. I love those!

Hmmm... Got some learning ahead of me. Any good instructional videos that anyone might share? I have both 510 and 306 LR Cisco attys coming my way.

I dont know of a video, but I can explain how to do it, its very simple. The 306 is the easiest because its an exposed atomizer. All you need is a pair of fine point tweezers. If you look under the bridge you will see the wick (a bunch of clear looking strands). Grab them with the tweezers and just pull them out. They wont all come out at once, you will have to do it a few times. For the 510, you will have to look down inside the atomizer to find them. It is just as easy as the 306, just harder to see what you're doing. I hope that helps, sometimes I suck at explaining how to do things. Let me know if you figure it out.

Do you debridge as well?

I do not debridge. I have only heard of a few people that do that. Like someone said, they only debridge as a last resort when their atty is just about to die. To me it just seems to ruin the atty. I would not recommend it.

Slo Ryd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2009
City of Trees
www.innovapor.com
Thanks for the answer :)

I was thinking... Due to the RES way of feeding juice, can the alpha be considered a bottom feeder? If the juice comes from the bottom there should not be a reason to debridge at all. Could you confirm my theory?

And the explanation was crystal clear, thanks!

Yes I suppose in a way it is a bottom feeder. But the difference is instead of having a tank where juice just sloshes around, it is contained in the ceramic. The alpha is more like a bottom feeder and super cartridge combined, but the best of both worlds. So yes you are correct, there is no need to debridge your attys. Like I said before, debridging is more of a last resort for a dying atty. One really bad side effect of debridging is you get lots of hot spatters of liquid in your mouth, and that really sucks. So I would definitely stay away from debridging.

HaloFan

Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
Orange County
There is a pretty good video on you tube on de-wicking,, it's easy enough to do, but i found the video extremely helpful just by getting a visual, before trying to do it... just enter "how to remove your Wick (mod)" and the video is from phee303, who also has a couple of other vid's that are very informative to say the least.....................Happy Vaping
That's a really straight answer. I love those!

Hmmm... Got some learning ahead of me. Any good instructional videos that anyone might share? I have both 510 and 306 LR Cisco attys coming my way.

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
Do you debridge as well?

General rule of thumb (that I've learned from speaking with other suppliers via Skype) is that debridging for the purpose of dripping can be fatal to the atomizer if you drip room temperature juice onto a "just vaped" atomizer. It can cause the exposed coil to shrink together and potentially cause a short or just cause the coil to break.

However, debridging would not be an issue with the RES as the RES also acts somewhat as a heatsink in which it absorbs some of the heat when vaping. Just remember, if you debridge, to let the atomizer cool for a couple minutes PRIOR to dripping/filling the RES. Also, be extremely cautious not to tap/maim/move the coil when debridging as the atty life will be shortened or non existent.

Jackass69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Sweden
Any one tried the new Hybrid 510/306 atty? There is a Bottom feeder model and a standard. I have the standard 1.5ohm and it works well (runs a little hotter than other 1.5ohm attys) but I'm curious if the RES would wick the BF model.
Forgot to mention the Hybrid doesn't have any wick or bridge.

Last edited:

ChuckBell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2011
Chicago, IL
My dewicking tool for a 510 atty. It's called a Flossup and you can get them at Walgreens. Worked better than a toothpick. Use the pointy end!
mail_copy.jpg

Slo Ryd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2009
City of Trees
www.innovapor.com
Any one tried the new Hybrid 510/306 atty? There is a Bottom feeder model and a standard. I have the standard 1.5ohm and it works well (runs a little hotter than other 1.5ohm attys) but I'm curious if the RES would wick the BF model.
Forgot to mention the Hybrid doesn't have any wick or bridge.

Where do you get those from?

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
Yes, as loft says. COV
Could it be something similar you have been working on TmeisT?
If I understand it correctly an atty with a sealed center post will still work on Ultras?

There are a couple vendors now making atties without wicks. IkenVape (in beta), Cisco, COV, and one other that's slipping my mind. Yes, sealed Atty (bottom post) will still work providing it has breather holes on the sides to pull juice and air through. Similar accessory among that theory is the 306DCA. Not a part of the Apex or InnoVapor lines so I won't discuss it here.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread