Dead? Or just waiting for AW IMRs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

badmotivator

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2012
Eugene, OR
I go my Provari in the mail today, and since I don't have the AW IMR 18490s yet I thought I'd just put in a charged Ultrafire protected 18500 to check it out. The Provari wouldn't light up, no matter what I tried. Is this a bottom cap spring problem, or is the Provari being snobby about batteries? Or something I haven't thought of?

narcosleepygirl

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2010
Seattle
We only recommend using the AW red high drain batteries because these cells have enough output current to handle the demands that the ProVari needs. While the trustfires and others with a button top will work, it's when you get into pulling more power those protected IC batteries will shutdown. This is because the protection circuit on the battery is turning off when it reaches its output max which is only about 2 amps. With the AW cells they can supply a lot more power to the unit.

MrWarspite

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
North Carolina
even if you had a nipple top ultrafire, it would only work intermittently. Only high drain batteries can discharge fast enough to provide the boost circuit with enough power. I tried this with a protected trustfire flame, it would work but at higher voltages the drain from the boost circuit would trip the protection circuit on the battery and it wouldnt fire again until i unscrewed it.

badmotivator

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2012
Eugene, OR
It's definitely because you have flat tops. The battery contact is recessed into the circuit board so the board prevents the flat tops from even touching the contact pin. It's part of the reverse battery protection that was designed to prevent catastrophic failure if a battery is put in backwards.

Perfect answer. Thanks for that explanation! (sigh) OK, I'll wait for the darn AWs. :)

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
yea, I tried using Trustfires with the nipple top and it would work for a little bit and then stop and give me errors. I'm sure once you get your AW's you will be in vaping heaven :) It stinks when we try to save money on batteries and have to wait for new ones when our brand new Provari is sitting by us. Been there, done that! lol.

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
yea, I tried using Trustfires with the nipple top and it would work for a little bit and then stop and give me errors. I'm sure once you get your AW's you will be in vaping heaven :) It stinks when we try to save money on batteries and have to wait for new ones when our brand new Provari is sitting by us. Been there, done that! lol.

imo Cells are the last place youd want to cheap out on. Trustfires =You can trust it will go on fire. Not worth blowing your face off over a 1 dollar bill difference in price. ALWAYS use the CELL the manufacturer recommends. Expecially because if something did happen youd be SOL since you went against what the manufacturer says. I personally will only use AW IMR's or Panasonic IMRs in any mod. Trustfires cant even get the mah written on the label right. The mah rating on them is much lower then what it says it is. They are not batteries like a AA they are li-ion cells which pack lots of power and are dangerous if not used correctly or using cheap china made cells.Imo you should never use a cheap CELL,or a cheap charger or go against what a manufacturer recomends. After all theres nothing chaep about a human life. Kinda harsh but its important to know this and not try to save money in this area.

Last edited:

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
Any charger that will work with 18650's will work with IMRs . I do recomend the PIla IBC charger. Its the best investment you can make and eliminated all worries about charging since it cuts off when the light goes on and doesnt continue to trickle charge like a lot of chargers. So even if you were to leave the cell in there for a week it wouldnt hurt the cell. The Pila is also the fastest and most reliable on the market. The one i bought 6 years ago is still working like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread