Dead Rabbit Kanthal a1 0.4ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
If you're just going for simple round wire I'd recommend just making your own - its not difficult at all and you can see how the vape changes adding/removing wraps, increasing/decreasing the inner diameter, using thinner/thicker wires, different materials and placement of the coils. It will do you better for getting into the groove of things and save you money.

Exotic coils yeah...I just buy them because I have no other reason to buy a drill nor clamp and would have to make hundreds of coils before coming even financially, let alone the difficulty of some of the crazier looking builds!

Trixir

Feb 10, 2018
If you're just going for simple round wire I'd recommend just making your own - its not difficult at all and you can see how the vape changes adding/removing wraps, increasing/decreasing the inner diameter, using thinner/thicker wires, different materials and placement of the coils. It will do you better for getting into the groove of things and save you money.

Exotic coils yeah...I just buy them because I have no other reason to buy a drill nor clamp and would have to make hundreds of coils before coming even financially, let alone the difficulty of some of the crazier looking builds!
yeah i think im gonna get into building, but just wanna buy some first just to see if i like rda heh ^^ but do you think the one i mentioned would be fine?

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I’d start with just one of em myself. 2 .4ohm coils will give you a .2ohm build which may be a bit low for you. It will need more wattage. Likely close to or over 40w and not knowing your rig I don’t know if it will have trouble with it or not. @Violetti Usva has a point though. Round wire is easy.

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
I was waiting for Don to throw some salt on the Rabbit haha! I haven't tried it myself but I know Don loves the lucid which I personally hate with almost as much passion as he hates the Rabbit to give an example of how subjective it all is - hopefully you'll find joy in it :) The voopoo should provide enough of a range of wattage for almost any build, just start low and work your way up. Those coils will work fine - as will almost any coil - but the fun of an RDa in my opinion is the tinkering. Best of luck :)

Trixir

Feb 10, 2018
I was waiting for Don to throw some salt on the Rabbit haha! I haven't tried it myself but I know Don loves the lucid which I personally hate with almost as much passion as he hates the Rabbit to give an example of how subjective it all is - hopefully you'll find joy in it :) The voopoo should provide enough of a range of wattage for almost any build, just start low and work your way up. Those coils will work fine - as will almost any coil - but the fun of an RDa in my opinion is the tinkering. Best of luck :)
Thanks! Really informative! :D

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I can understand that about the Lucid. It's definitely not for everyone. Did you get an authentic or a clone? I pocked up a Lucid clone to compare it to the authentic. They look almost the same but that's where it ends. Yes It's no secret I dispise the Dead Rabbit but there are so many better RDAs on the market for beginners. The Lucid is not for beginners. Also agree about the Voopoo Drag. It's a nice mod. I don't have one but I know a couple people that do.

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
I can understand that about the Lucid. It's definitely not for everyone. Did you get an authentic or a clone? I pocked up a Lucid clone to compare it to the authentic. They look almost the same but that's where it ends. Yes It's no secret I dispise the Dead Rabbit but there are so many better RDAs on the market for beginners. The Lucid is not for beginners. Also agree about the Voopoo Drag. It's a nice mod. I don't have one but I know a couple people that do.

It was a clone I'll admit but since trying it out the design definitely doesn't seem like my cup of tea so I can't justify buying a real one. I don't mind a fiddly deck if it is because of a lack of space resulting in a dense plume of vapour but instead its a fiddly deck with waaaaay too much space left over and airflow that can't really be tamed to my liking. I'll admit I gave up after a few attempts because the screws kept popping out when trying different builds and getting the clamps back in place drove me absolutely mad - its been sitting on my work top for a few weeks now :p I haven't tried the Rabbit but in all honesty the fact that someone can hate it as much as you do is enough reason to put me off giving it a go really.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
It was a clone I'll admit but since trying it out the design definitely doesn't seem like my cup of tea so I can't justify buying a real one. I don't mind a fiddly deck if it is because of a lack of space resulting in a dense plume of vapour but instead its a fiddly deck with waaaaay too much space left over and airflow that can't really be tamed to my liking. I'll admit I gave up after a few attempts because the screws kept popping out when trying different builds and getting the clamps back in place drove me absolutely mad - its been sitting on my work top for a few weeks now :p I haven't tried the Rabbit but in all honesty the fact that someone can hate it as much as you do is enough reason to put me off giving it a go really.
Yeah the clone I got was horrible too. It looks close but is just different enough to cause problems. I gave the clone to my kid after I built it for him.

Figs

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2017
Granbury - Texas - USA
Assuming you have the 24mm single or duel coil version your .4 will be fine. As a single it will give you the straight.4, and with two you will get .2. Just build it the way that fits you best.

I have the SQ model that is 22mm and single coil only. Your .4 would work fine on it as well.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
I have never tried a single coil setup in my 24mm Rabbit. I also have the 22mm SQ which is set up to run a single coil. i have a big clapton on it @ .24 I have it on a Pulse and I love it. I wanted an atty dedicated to single coil for the mech squonker. i like the fact that the coil sits in the middle and it still has dual airflow. I have the 810 on it for dtl but it comes with 2 different 510 tips for mtl. I have the Rabbit 24 set up with dual aliens @.1 and 80w on my Minikin and it is great.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't own the setup, but I will state, you can completely experiment (the benefit to wrapping some round wire coils is two fold, however). With an exotic build it can be hard to vary as much as you can with single coiled wire (e.g. coil placement, coil diameter, what wire gauge you enjoy, etc.) and you can vary all that much easier with single coils (whether premade or built yourself, although (IMO) installing a coil can be harder than wrapping one) so you also benefit yourself by knowing you can make your own wires in a pinch.

I would state, generally, that starting with round wire gives you the best chance of various "experimentations" with flavor in your build, while exotic coils have certain "built in qualities" as it were, that can muddy the waters.

I also wouldn't let other people's experiences dissuade you (or not) they are simply providing their experience with the mod, which is rather subjective and personal. If I'd listened to everyone who disliked the Siren V2 flavor (and there were some haters) I would have missed out on one of my very favorite RTAs (and, I did my *own* experiments with flavor). To be fair to the Siren V2 haters, it too can be "finicky" when it comes to flavor, and requires (for me) the correct coil placement airflow, and even juice. Etc.

Best of luck, and you can install dual exotics at a fairly low resistance in a regulated mod with the right set of batteries, provided you stay within your mod's safety tolerances as far as it can fire.

Generally though, the lower the resistance, the more "juice" it will take to heat up all the "mass" (not just the resistance) so keep in mind that even if your batteries are "capable" of that resistance, you don't want to overstress anything by having to much "mass of metal" in your tank to heat up and etc.

Best of luck,

Anna

RigBick

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
Hey, im looking to start with rdas and decided on a dead rabbit. my questoin is: would "coil master Prebuilt Kanthal A1 Coil 0.4 Ohm" be ok for it? new to rdas so i thought id just buy some prebuilt ones first just to get into the groove so to speak
I bought my first RDA about a month ago. A dead rabbit. I purchased some pre-made fused Clapton's and with a dual installation read about point for ohms on my mod. The flavor was amazing. Within one week I found myself purchasing some wire a coil jig and an ohmmeter and am now making some simple coils mostly Twisted 26 gauge. I may or may not buy a drill for more Advanced bills however these little twisted 26 is that I can make with a pen work fabulously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread