Dead rabbit rdta help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChutneyMyles

Nov 6, 2018
Hello fellow vapers! Calling out professional vapers to help me understand / find best coils for the dead rabbit rdta by hellvape. Now i currently use my smok pro colour mod and up top I have dead rabbit . I bought some ohms science coils 5 in 1 but only 1 set of these work. Little disappointed . The rest say ohns too low. Can i do something to change this? Batteries? Or coils?. I love flavour but love vapour a little more! If anybody out there would like to help out i would really appreciate it!!! ChutneyMyles!!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What is the ohm measurement on the coils that say "ohms too low"? Not what they are "supposed to be", but what do they actually measure out to be on an ohm reader or digital multimeter?

My guess is the coils are too low in resistance for your mod to fire them. The protection circuitry has kicked in. I don't know what the lowest resistance that the SMOK Procolor will fire.

You do know that coil resistance becomes "halved" when using dual coils? Example: Two identical 1.0 ohm coils used together will result in a total resistance of 0.5 ohms.

Another possibility is the coil has a short. Some regulated mods will say "ohms too low" while others will say "atomizer short" when there is a coil short.

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hello fellow vapers! Calling out professional vapers to help me understand / find best coils for the dead rabbit rdta by hellvape. Now i currently use my smok pro colour mod and up top I have dead rabbit . I bought some ohms science coils 5 in 1 but only 1 set of these work. Little disappointed . The rest say ohns too low. Can i do something to change this? Batteries? Or coils?. I love flavour but love vapour a little more! If anybody out there would like to help out i would really appreciate it!!! ChutneyMyles!!
Hi and welcome,
.1Ω is the lowest the pro color will fire. (.06 in TC mode)
The nichrome coils you have should work in a single coil build.
If you want to use two coils in the DR, you will need to stay above .2Ω per coil, .25Ω per coil will give you a bit of wiggle room.

HTH
I

ChutneyMyles

Nov 6, 2018
Hello. Thank you both for getting back in touch. The ohms are reading out at 0.76 or 0.86. I tried to wiggle them about but nothing worked. I have a duel clapton coil build at the moment are there reading out as 0.246. They are 0.45 ohms. I got the idea to buy the ohms science coils from youtuber rip triipers. Great youtuber. I just want a great set of coils that I can vape 80 to 90 watt and get great results from . Dont like changing about with them. If I don't find a solution I think I'm going to get German resin artisan edition tank. Thanks again for all the help!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hello. Thank you both for getting back in touch. The ohms are reading out at 0.76 or 0.86. I tried to wiggle them about but nothing worked. I have a duel clapton coil build at the moment are there reading out as 0.246. They are 0.45 ohms. I got the idea to buy the ohms science coils from youtuber rip triipers. Great youtuber. I just want a great set of coils that I can vape 80 to 90 watt and get great results from . Dont like changing about with them. If I don't find a solution I think I'm going to get German resin artisan edition tank. Thanks again for all the help!
A few ways I can think of that could make that be reading as ohms too low:
1: there’s a short somewhere. A rouge bit of wire would be the standard one with Claptons, but it could be carbon buildup reaching a post.
2: the mod in question is simply not capable of firing at .24ohm. This is unlikely but not impossible in this day and age. It also would never have worked on that particular mod
3: your batteries don’t have enough oomph to fire the mod after they drop too low. This one is a bit disturbing because it means your batteries may not be in a good way.
4: some mods read “ohms too low” when they should read “no atomizer found”. This would mean your center pins aren’t making contact

ChutneyMyles

Nov 6, 2018
Hello Bombastinator. Thanks for the feedback. I think it's to do with the coils and maybe the batterys as I have to charge them quite a lot. When the tank is off the mod it reads no atimiser so I think the pins are good. I want to stay with the dead rabbit. Would it be worth checking to get a new mod ? And if so what ones would you recommend to with the dead rabbit??. Or should I just play it safe and go back to sub ohm tank?? Thanks again for the help.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hello Bombastinator. Thanks for the feedback. I think it's to do with the coils and maybe the batterys as I have to charge them quite a lot. When the tank is off the mod it reads no atimiser so I think the pins are good. I want to stay with the dead rabbit. Would it be worth checking to get a new mod ? And if so what ones would you recommend to with the dead rabbit??. Or should I just play it safe and go back to sub ohm tank?? Thanks again for the help.
Re: batteries: Having to charge your batteries constantly does not bode well.
Re: new mod: since it says SMOK on it chances are you won’t have a choice about that one fairly soon in any event. SMOK build quality is famously terrible.
Re: atty: if the atty worked once chances are it is not the problem to begin with. Honestly the mod probably isn’t either though with SMOK you just never know.
I would say your most likely culprit is an error in the build itself and there is a hidden short somewhere. The battery thing is another good possibility.

Ways to check: a build like that should still fire and vape ok well below 90w. Maybe turn the mod down to 40w and see if it works. If it does you need better batteries. Buy high drain name brand batteries from a reputable dealer. Or you could just vape the thing at a lower wattage and accept that your batteries can’t handle 90w.
For that very high wattage level (yes I know the thing claims it will do 200w. 90w is still really really high for a wick and wire build) I would strongly suggest a 3 or 4 battery mod. You will be worked by each battery much less hard and you will get a lot more life out of them

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Could you recommend a mod that would suit the dead rabbit? I'm at a loss and dunno what to do.
Any mod with a 510 would suit it. The question is what mod will hold enough power to fire it for any length of time at 90w? I mean if you filled it with a pair of 2ohm coils instead of a pair of half ohm coils you could vape it at 15w and a single battery would last all day. It’s not the atty it’s how you are using it.
There are a few choices, iirc, but I don’t vape anywhere near that power level so I don’t need a mod that big and I really haven’t looked lately. Others may know though so stay tuned I guess. The simplest thing to do imho, is to figure out how to get a vape quality you like at a lower wattage. That way you can use the 2 battery mod you got, assuming it isn’t broken already. Personally I kinda doubt it.

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Just got one today and the clearance between the inner chimney and the posts is very tight. If your coils are really thick, this could be causing the screws to short out.

You might be able to get round this by twisting the legs of the coil 90 degrees, taking up less horizontal space inside the post holes and allowing the screws to tighten up more.

I'd definitely check the DR with an ohm meter or similar onse it has been re-assembled.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
With the dead rabbit being top mounting, you gotta keep the legs fairly short so the coils dont touch the inside of the chimney. That being said, the dead rabbit is a great RDA( not rdta). Sounds like the problem you are having is in the mod. Get a voopoo drag, you wont be disappointed. I was a fan of smok but ive learned better. Their tanks are ok but im not so sure about the rest. At any rate, get a good mod, better batteries and the dead rabbit will be awesome.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
If the legs are long enough you could try adding a wrap to the coil. That should bring your resistance above the ,1 threshold. I have SS triple fused claptons in mine and 7 wrap coils fit just fine. It produces huge clouds at 65W and has a resistance of .21. The DR isn't the problem it's the coils. On a regulated mod there is no real need to build that low. You can build for higher resistance and more surface area and get the same vapor production with a bit less power. I have 2 DR RTAs and have had no complaints except the notches at the bottom were a bit of a PITA at first. I have put some pretty massive builds in them.
20181005_133143.jpg

Quad core FC SS .12 ohms. Still above the minimum for your mod to fire.
20181020_120814.jpg

Dual core FC SS triple coil .19 ohms.

My advice would be stick with rebuilding. Once you get it figured out it is so much better. Get a spool of triple core FC if you want big builds snd wrap your own coils. You will be able to customize your setup till you gind what is perfect for you. Stick with the DR RTA. it is easy to learn on. Other tanks can br a bit trickier to build and wick. Once you get through the frustration of learning to build, you will find a much more enjoyable experience than you can get with premade drop in coils.

Reactions: bombastinator

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might like to read some commentaries on sub-ohm vaping:
What Ohms should I choose?
How is sub-ohm vaping dangerous?
https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
https://spinfuel.com/sub-ohm-vaping/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread