Deathwish Modz Crossbones "Black Raven" clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
I was intrigued by the Crossbones mod and the Unholy rda so I decided to pick up a clone of the kit. I wasn't a huge fan of the "Hanged" version so I searched and found a "Black Raven" version and got it in black as per the original. Unfortunately upon arrival I discovered that this clone, unlike others I have seen, didn't have the insulated spring - which was one of the reasons I wanted it in the first place. I also noticed that the Unholy rda deck was logoless and that the clamps were not grooved like the original. Disappointed I put it in its box and contemplated sending it back.

After sleeping on it and after waking up in a better mood (good old work pressures) I decided to give it a chance and lob a build in to see how it was. I am glad I did as despite it not being a 1:1 clone, it performs well and the machining is spot on.

I will get some pics up asap, but for those interested in the Crossbones mod, do take note that currently (unless someone knows otherwise) the "Black Raven" clone is only available without the insulated spring. However, after a day of use I haven't had any issues with hot button or misfiring.

Will report back after some use.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Just a quick in hand pic...
IMG_4111.jpg

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Well although the cloners didn't get the switch 1:1, it seems they cloned the paint to perfection as it is waring off already, just like the original did :D

Doesn't bother me in the slightest as ultimately I can polish it all off if I wanted, but for those that would annoy, I would avoid the black coated versions if I were you.

This set up has seen a lot of pocket time and really like the smoothness of the button and the Unholy RDA as a whole. The TVL has a similar styled button (although not recessed) and the Crossbones is much much better. Not a single misfire or hot button issue.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Considering the high performance of the devices, Deathwish mods are a bargain at their retail price. Only the Broadside offers more value for performance.

Why buy a clone, it's a false economy and hurts innovation.

I don't see how it is false economy? I have all the performance of the original at a far lower price. This is still a £160 set up. I'd agree with you if we were talking about a £50 mod here, but it's not.
Some people don't do clones and that's fine. I on the other hand am comfortable with it.

Reactions: Kprthevapr

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Considering the high performance of the devices, Deathwish mods are a bargain at their retail price. Only the Broadside offers more value for performance.

Why buy a clone, it's a false economy and hurts innovation.

A false economy is the $200 asking price for a threaded copper tube.

Donnie, we dont buy authentics for performance.
Copper is copper to a cell. It doesnt care how much you paid or who made it. All that matters to a cell is conductivity.
We buy authentics to have a legitimate piece of work from the modder that "designed" it.

And innovate what? A flashlight?
The logo? A horn switch?

Reactions: Ben85

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
A false economy is the $200 asking price for a threaded copper tube.

Donnie, we dont buy authentics for performance.
Copper is copper to a cell. It doesnt care how much you paid or who made it. All that matters to a cell is conductivity.
We buy authentics to have a legitimate piece of work from the modder that "designed" it.

And innovate what? A flashlight?
The logo? A horn switch?

Yes, totally hear you on that brother and wholly agree.

The innovation is pulling together a product that is fairly and in my opinion honestly priced in comparison to similar like for like authentics. Maintaining the quality but making it an affordable everyday beater.

For £150 UK you get an RDA with nice size juice well, innovative silver plated 2 post clamp design far superior (in my opinion) to a Goon in both flavour and vapour. As well as a quality made tube with a recessed copper switch with an isolated spring that hits as hard as a Rogue and is as smooth as hell. All for well less than the price of a Rogue. It's limited so will keep some of its value if I wanted to sell on. And the quality of the engraving is spot on as far as engravings go.

The Broadside which is cheaper hits harder, but this is more enjoyable to use because it's better made. I chain vape deep hard pulls and the device handles and dissipates the heat well. It's easy to clean and maintain, it's a pleasure to use.

Plus the designer took feedback from us customers from the Hanged and made improvements to the Raven. There are small differences in the switch design that make the Raven better than the Hanged edition.

I knew from early discussion that the fat Black Raven was designed to have a distressed look and the black was always going to fade. Which clone manufacturers take feedback from their customers to improve their products.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bad Ninja

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
I don't see how it is false economy? I have all the performance of the original at a far lower price. This is still a £160 set up. I'd agree with you if we were talking about a £50 mod here, but it's not.
Some people don't do clones and that's fine. I on the other hand am comfortable with it.

It's a £100 mod, taking into regard the RDA which would retail around £50

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

The innovation is pulling together a product that is fairly and in my opinion honestly priced in comparison to similar like for like authentics. Maintaining the quality but making it an affordable everyday beater.

For £150 UK you get an RDA with nice size juice well, innovative silver plated 2 post clamp design far superior (in my opinion) to a Goon in both flavour and vapour. As well as a quality made tube with a recessed copper switch with an isolated spring that hits as hard as a Rogue and is as smooth as hell. All for well less than the price of a Rogue. It's limited so will keep some of its value if I wanted to sell on. And the quality of the engraving is spot on as far as engravings go.

The Broadside which is cheaper hits harder, but this is more enjoyable to use because it's better made. I chain vape deep hard pulls and the device handles and dissipates the heat well. It's easy to clean and maintain, it's a pleasure to use.

Plus the designer took feedback from us customers from the Hanged and made improvements to the Raven. There are small differences in the switch design that make the Raven better than the Hanged edition.

I knew from early discussion that the fat Black Raven was designed to have a distressed look and the black was always going to fade. Which clone manufacturers take feedback from their customers to improve their products.

I understand, and I own a ton of authentics. However I normally use a clone.
I didnt buy the authentics for performance, or some imaginary level of superior craftsmanship.
I bought it to own an authentic example of the product.

Im owned a machine shop before I retired. Its a soft metal tube with metric threads. About $6 in common copper stock.
It doesnt even dull the equipment to mill.

This isnt really the place for this and I apologize for going off topic.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK

Out of curiosity, what changes were made to the Raven switch?

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
I understand, and I own a ton of authentics. However I normally use a clone.
I didnt buy the authentics for performance, or some imaginary level of superior craftsmanship.
I bought it to own an authentic example of the product.

Im owned a machine shop before I retired. Its a soft metal tube with metric threads. About $6 in common copper stock.
It doesnt even dull the equipment to mill.

This isnt really the place for this and I apologize for going off topic.

No problem brother, it's interesting to hear from your experience, teach on.

Reactions: Bad Ninja

Donnie Alexander

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
Out of curiosity, what changes were made to the Raven switch?

There was a major change made to the connection between the button and the contact. Which on the Raven is a solid block construction. And a minor revision to the contact itself. Replacement contacts were also offered for free for the original Hanged edition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread