Deeming - An absolute must read. How the FDA gagged the press

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Scientific American has today published a major piece on the FDA's behavior in the run up to the release of its first draft of the deeming regulations.

In a clear violation of its own ethics policy, FDA briefed a select group of reporters on the content of the regulations, but forbad them from seeking third parties for comment, using a so-called "close-hold embargo".

The net result? The only voice represented was those in favor of the regulations, and an American public deprived of hearing from those affected.

The article is a must read, with massive implications beyond this issue. I'll say no more, judge for yourself: How the FDA Manipulates the Media

See also Michael Siegel: The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: FDA Violated Ethics Rules to Censor Dissenting Opinions about Its E-Cigarette Regulations

H/T @DrMA

Last edited:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
It's not just the FDA. The press has been complicit in this as well, and has been for decades.

The press could have caused enough stink to where this practice would never be considered. But, as they want to be first to getting a story out, they agree to these conditions all in the name of "ratings".

Both the feds AND the press should be hauled before the court of public opinion and trounced soundly.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
“It's really inappropriate for a source to be telling a journalist whom he or she can and can't talk to” [says New York Times former public editor Margaret Sullivan.]

Snort. Wisconsin Public Radio asked anti-smoker Ira Sharenow if HE would allow me to be on a program with him. Of course the answer was no! And they handed Sharenow and other anti-smokers many forums to spew their vicious lies multiple times per year for decades, while I never got an equivalent chance once. And they got away with it, because smokers are evidently such credulous blockheads they never suspected their information was being censored.

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
I just had to make this pic. :facepalm:

70faf3797e1896440fe17cfef91898bd.jpg

Last edited:

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
It sure is nice to see in print what we knew was happening at the time. It was (still is) very obvious to us that we were only getting the "information" the FDA wanted us to have, with ZERO feedback from our own experts on the positive effects of vaping, but this article really helps shed some light on the creepy, underhanded way the FDA is handling the deeming regs. I really hope getting this information out there for the public to see will help our cause in court. We desperately need a win (or 2, or 10) next month and in the upcoming months!!

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
I've just read the piece and I must say I find it disturbing, but not surprising.

I'm from Canada and can't do a thing about this. It's up to the American people now and sadly, most don't care, are too busy to care or don't understand the implications.

(no malice or insult intended towards my neighbors to the south - it's pretty much the same or worse up here)

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
They care more about "First!" than the First. (fixed that for you)
Well, there's two parts to this. There's the gag order, don't talk to anyone else about this before the embargo is lifted, part. Then there's the, I want to get my story out as soon as I'm able so I'm not going to bother to contact anyone else for a dissenting view because that would mean I might lose an hour or two, part.

I'm not sure which is more horrifying, that the agencies are dictating to journalists in this manner, or that the journalists are going along with it.

wiredlove

Master Lurker
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2010
KY
Well, there's two parts to this. There's the gag order, don't talk to anyone else about this before the embargo is lifted, part. Then there's the, I want to get my story out as soon as I'm able so I'm not going to bother to contact anyone else for a dissenting view because that would mean I might lose an hour or two, part.

I'm not sure which is more horrifying, that the agencies are dictating to journalists in this manner, or that the journalists are going along with it.

The latter, I would expect any agency - private or governmental, to try and get away with what they can. It's up to the media to not put up with it.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
"...The FDA, like other sources of scientific information, are gaining control of journalists who are supposed to keep an eye on those institutions. The watchdogs are being turned into lapdogs. “Journalists have ceded the power to the scientific establishment,...”".

:facepalm:

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia

It is a seesaw, laden with horror on both ends.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
The latter, I would expect any agency - private or governmental, to try and get away with what they can. It's up to the media to not put up with it.
That's the way I'd lean too. Then I have thoughts of masses only reading headlines(if that) and only getting news from FB click bait sites, and I want to crawl into a hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread