Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenLeaf

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
Texas, USA
This coincides with my Tank issue.

I have a new 5-pack of 3.0-3.2 ohm coils. The first 3 worked great. The fourth worked for awhile, then quit firing out of the blue, for NO reason what so ever. It just stopped working mid-vape. I did all the necessary cleaning and troubleshooting, as I stated in that thread. The fifth NEW coil gives me 3 flashing battery lights (which indicates a short?), but sometimes will kick on and work with no adjustment or alterations.

I know for a fact the 4th and possibly 5th coils are defective, as a working tank fires fine with the older coils, but not these last two.

My questions are:

A. Could the bad 4th defective coil cause a healthy functional tank to suddenly no longer work, with the working coils?

B. Am I going to have to d!ck around with customer service and pay to send these coils back for replacement? If it's going to require out of pocket expenses to replace 2 bad coils, I won't mess around with it.

Thanks a bunch.

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
A. Could the bad 4th defective coil cause a healthy functional tank to suddenly no longer work, with the working coils?

B. Am I going to have to d!ck around with customer service and pay to send these coils back for replacement? If it's going to require out of pocket expenses to replace 2 bad coils, I won't mess around with it.

Thanks a bunch.

A. No. Electrically, the tank is just an extension cord from the battery to the coil. The cicuitry in the battery is fast enough to detect a short way before any damage to the tank could occur.

Try taking the 5th "shorted" coil, disassemble by removing the condom, the top little piece I always lose and the top flavor wick. Look at the coil. It should NOT be touching either side. You can move the coil a little with small sharp tweezers.

The 4th? Take a toothpick or needlenose pliers. On the underside of the coil is the center button. Try GENTLY wiggling or turning a LITTLE BIT. There is a grommet between the coil housing and this button. And the legs of the coil go on either side of the button. There might be gunk or something preventing electrical contact.

B. I don't think coils are warrantied. You can take a shot with Customer Service. But if you are stuck with the coils, what do you have to lose by trying these "remedies"?

And if they still don't work, save the parts for the future. (like the little top!). And do an autopsy on the coil. You should be able to pull the center bottom button out, and see the grommet and coil legs. Why not. Learning is fun.

GreenLeaf

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
Texas, USA
I'd contact customer service. If they are defective they will replace them. I haven't had any bad coils but I guess it is bound to happen at some point. Sorry for your troubles Greenleaf. :)

I just checked the website, sadly, there is no coil warranty. I suppose they are expendables like ejuice which makes sense, but it is still defective hardware. I will email them anyways, as this is a let down when I paid for working parts and expect to receive them as such.

A. No. Electrically, the tank is just an extension cord from the battery to the coil. The cicuitry in the battery is fast enough to detect a short way before any damage to the tank could occur.

Precisely what I thought. What a strange coincidence that a tank would FUBAR the only time I install a pack of half-bad coils. :glare:

Try taking the 5th "shorted" coil, disassemble by removing the condom, the top little piece I always lose and the top flavor wick. Look at the coil. It should NOT be touching either side. You can move the coil a little with small sharp tweezers.

The 4th? Take a toothpick or needlenose pliers. On the underside of the coil is the center button. Try GENTLY wiggling or turning a LITTLE BIT. There is a grommet between the coil housing and this button. And the legs of the coil go on either side of the button. There might be gunk or something preventing electrical contact.

B. I don't think coils are warrantied. You can take a shot with Customer Service. But if you are stuck with the coils, what do you have to lose by trying these "remedies"?

And if they still don't work, save the parts for the future. (like the little top!). And do an autopsy on the coil. You should be able to pull the center bottom button out, and see the grommet and coil legs. Why not. Learning is fun.

Nothing goes in the trash. I'll try the biopsy/dissection. It's far less repulsive than the frogs and pig fetuses they made us cut into in high school. :facepalm:

FallenRawToast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2014
LA, CA, USA, NA, SOL
I would pm cinder ella, about it, she seems far more on the ball... than some of the CS types there.

Sure you wont get replacements for those 2 coils, but Ella seems the sort of gal, who will at least make some noise about it, and they might find out they have a batch that has bad Quality Control, and maybe save a bunch of others this annoyance. Other random CS people at Halo... some might do the same, and some might just read you the book, and consider their job done.

batman624

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm a new user, but have noticed a similar quality control type issue. Luckily, there hasn't been any failure, but on a new tank, I noticed a little extra gurgling than I did with my first tank. During a gentle cleaning and inspection, I noticed the coil wraps were very uneven.

Sorry I don't have any advice, but I'm certainly here for moral support. Good luck and keep us posted on any updates!

Had the same thing happen to me, had three of them dry burn on me after about a days use and two of them just completely stopped working after a few minutes. I was using halo juices and everything, burnt them black. The coils that came with it worked flawlessy, even after multiple cleanings until they eventually burnt. Sent an email to customer service and got a generic answer. Kind of a piss off when I spend 12 bucks on the coils and another 20 or 30 on shipping to Canada.

GreenLeaf

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
Texas, USA
I 'opted' out of that by puking all over the lab. Sister Anne Marie was glad to get me out of there! :facepalm:

It wasn't even the blood and gore (though that contributed) I have a pretty strong stomach.

It was the humanitarian aspect of them killing these animals for students and teachers to get their jollies' on. The curriculum teached little to nothing that videos couldn't. (I know some of the parts are sourced from slaughter houses.)

That's my psychology anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread