Definition of "chain vaping"...how much rest do atomizers need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
I had a fairly long thread going before because the vertical occ coils don't last long in my kanger subtank - thanks to all that made suggestions as I've extended the life some. But still not close to a week. I've started to think that in addition to the sweet, 70VG juices I'm using, my vaping style is also murdering the coils.

I like to vape like I smoked, which was several in a row and relatively short (I guess) intervals in between draws. I know I can sit back and watch bubbles coming up after a draw, so clearly waiting for the wick to re-saturate is important, but how often is too often? Do you need to wait like 10 seconds between draws to let the wick re-saturate?

Also, on the .5 coils I've been trying direct lung which I'm starting to like. But how hard do you pull when you inhale? I learned on the emow mega to take long gentle draws and those coils last a long time now, but I still can't quite get the subtank coils down.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I had a fairly long thread going before because the vertical occ coils don't last long in my kanger subtank - thanks to all that made suggestions as I've extended the life some. But still not close to a week. I've started to think that in addition to the sweet, 70VG juices I'm using, my vaping style is also murdering the coils.
I agree with your observations. Your vaping style may well cause your coils to not last as long. High Vg juices, as well as sweet and darker flavors, tend to gunk up coils faster.

I like to vape like I smoked, which was several in a row and relatively short (I guess) intervals in between draws. I know I can sit back and watch bubbles coming up after a draw, so clearly waiting for the wick to re-saturate is important, but how often is too often? Do you need to wait like 10 seconds between draws to let the wick re-saturate?
You'll figure this out from experience. You might need to do a couple of "primer puffs" if you're a chain vaper; this is when you suck on the tank as if you were vaping, but without power. This draws more e-liquid to the wick/coil without vaporizing the liquid.

Also, on the .5 coils I've been trying direct lung which I'm starting to like. But how hard do you pull when you inhale? I learned on the emow mega to take long gentle draws and those coils last a long time now, but I still can't quite get the subtank coils down.
Again, you'll learn from your experience. Most tanks perform better when you take long, gentle draws as opposed to short harder puffs. I will say that the lower the resistance (lower ohms), the hotter the coil burns --> the more juice is vaporized --> and the more e-liquid you will consume.

Tanks which have air control will allow more options as to the amount of force required to inhale (mouth to lung = tighter draw; direct lung = looser draw) in general.

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
I agree with your observations. Your vaping style may well cause your coils to not last as long. High Vg juices, as well as sweet and darker flavors, tend to gunk up coils faster.

You'll figure this out from experience. You might need to do a couple of "primer puffs" if you're a chain vaper; this is when you suck on the tank as if you were vaping, but without power. This draws more e-liquid to the wick/coil without vaporizing the liquid.

Again, you'll learn from your experience. Most tanks perform better when you take long, gentle draws as opposed to short harder puffs. I will say that the lower the resistance (lower ohms), the hotter the coil burns --> the more juice is vaporized --> and the more e-liquid you will consume.

Tanks which have air control will allow more options as to the amount of force required to inhale (mouth to lung = tighter draw; direct lung = looser draw) in general.

Thanks Baditude. I sometimes suffer from leaking tanks, sometimes from burnt taste. Problem is I've been flailing around trying different things quickly as it seems that the leaking tanks are from pulling too much juice in, and the burnt taste is from not pulling in enough. I just need to settle in and find the zone I guess.

Using the subtank mini (as part of the subox btw), what wattage do most people use for the .5 coils/RBAs? I'm getting a lot of loud popping on those (and still a short life).

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
kanger occ's are very inconsistent. your subtank mini came with a rba section. it's really worth it to learn to build on that, your coils will last a lot longer and be much less expensive to replace. you'll also get better flavor and cloudage.

Thanks. I tried the RBA yesterday for the first time. It worked pretty well...for a few minutes and then it just stopped working. Was almost happy it worked at all since it was my first shot. I'm going to try again this eve...but is there an ideal wattage? Is the LOUD popping normal, or does that mean I have to boost wattage?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

If you vape at 1 watt you don't have to stop at all.

If you want to chain vape, you have to have your setup made for it;
not too high power
enough wicking
enough airflow.

Often with a tank, if I am chain vaping I might find the wick going dry, so I just reduce the wattage

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
you want your coils pretty close to the bottom airflow hole. there are some good vids on youtube about building and wicking the subtank, but it's pretty easy. rule of thumb with that deck: less cotton is better. as far as wattage, it really depends on your coil and wicking, for now i'd suggest just finding what works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread