billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
The very first RY liquid was created in a single afternoon by two men: Ludo, one of the owners of Janty, and a Chinese flavor chemist, presumably working for Dekang. They started in the lab of a Dekang factory in China with some basic flavors they both agreed on and made various "test juices," tweaking the recipe along the way. After about four hours, they came up with the one they liked best, and they christened it Ruyan 4---"Ruyan" being Chinese slang for "cigarette-like" and "4" because that was the fourth version they made that afternoon. Soon after, the name was abbreviated to RY4.

Janty began marketing that formula in 2007 and still sells the original recipe as RY4 in their Elixir line. Dekang modified the original recipe (removing the slight sourness of the Janty original recipe and changing the proportions of flavoring for a slightly sweeter taste) and produced numerous variations of RY4 for their own label, including the now-mythic "lost" Dekang RY4, the recipe for which was stolen by a departing flavor chemist who was leaving to start his own juice company. That recipe remains missing to this day. The chemist was subsequently arrested, tried, and is serving a prison sentence in China.

RY1, 2, and 3 were all reverse-engineered much later by Dekang (and by Hangsen as well), but Janty RY4 was the first and original tobacco/caramel/vanilla blend called RY.

At any rate, that's the gist of the story we unearthed from Ludo and other inside sources on The Really Big RY4 Roundup thread.

The point is that RY4 came first. RY3, RY2, and RY1 were created afterwards, almost like "prequels" in the movies (think Star Wars).

chefjosh

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2010
Florida
You, my friend, are truly awesome. I searched high and low while writing this review and read a fair amount of that incredibly long "Really Big RY4 Roundup" thread, but never came across this much detailed information. Needless to say, my review will be updated, as soon as I can find the time, to represent the correct origin of the RY4. And I owe you a HUGE debt of gratitude. Thanks for setting me straight, it is much appreciated.

EDIT: Review corrected.

Last edited:

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
chefjosh,

Just so you know, no "correction" was intended. You're a heck of a good reviewer.

All I wanted to do was share the story we pieced together on the Big RY4 thread over a couple of months of sporadic but progressive revelations. Heck, I can't even tell you with absolute certainty that it's 100% guaranteed truth. But the sources who came forward to help us with the history did seem to me reliable, honest, and trustworthy. Plus, some of them were there at the time, so they were first-hand eyewitnesses or active participants. Most people on ECF and nearly everyone else in the big world of ecigs still don't know much if any of how the RY4 story went down, so I take every opportunity to share it.

At the very least, the history is quite entertaining.

chefjosh

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2010
Florida
Thanks for the compliment. It means a lot to me. I've put in hundreds of hours building the site and writing reviews so I really wouldn't feel good knowing that there is a glaring error regarding the origin of RY4. I hope that kind of dedication is going to be part of what makes my site a success and gives it the ability to continue to growing.

The history that you gave contained several bits I had heard before, but have never been able to piece together into a complete story. It's fascinating to hear it in it's complete form, particularly that the rogue chemist got what was coming to him in the end. Thanks for sharing it and thanks for taking a look at the reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread