Deleting the bridge, and a confirmation on the iso alcohol cleaning method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
So, after seeing one too many of Ourei's glowing reviews about direct coil dripping, I had to try it. Even though I don't drip that much.

I have a non-Joye 510 atty that happens to only work on one battery - a manual, regular 510. My other 510 stuff (eGo and PT) is automatic, so I won't drip with those anyway. So I figured this was a good atty to delete the bridge on.

Prior to doing this, I cleaned the atty with the isopropyl alcohol method. Set it to dry in front of a fan, and when it was dry, I went to work.

The bridge and wick removal went fairly cleanly. I decided to put it on my batt and fire it up... just to see if it still worked, and, on the off chance there was still a bit of alcohol in it, burn that off. I normally don't dry burn for fear of frying the wick, but now, well, there is no wick.

The indication that an atty is clean is that the whole coil goes orange, right?

Well, the whole coil went orange within about 5 seconds, and almost no smoke came off the atty. So I think that is a pretty good sign that the isopropyl alcohol method works to clean atomizers effectively.

I've had this atty in rotation for about 1.5 months, and it's gotten a fair bit of use. So it's no spring chicken, as atties go.

But the real question - does it vape?

I followed Ourei's instructions to drip 2-3 drops on a freshly dry-burned bridge-less atty, and 1-2 drops thereafter. Bridgeless atties reportedly don't hold quite as much juice.

Oh yes. It vapes alright. The taste is fantastic. Just wonderful.

I may not be the world's most prolific dripper, but if you're going to go to the trouble to drip... go to a little more trouble, and try it bridgeless. Try it on an old, lagging atty after a good alcohol soak, and with a quick 5 second dry burn. It's just... ohmygod.

Here's a vid on the alcohol cleaning method I mention:
YouTube - E-Cigarette Atomizer Maintenance

...And how to remove your bridge:
YouTube - Removing The Bridge

Last edited:

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
I couldn't agree with you more. Removing the bridge is the way to go. I do it on all my attys.

I think I'm going to stick to just this one - I'm mostly a carto girl, and I only have one other 510, one 901, and a 306, and I mostly use carts when I use atties. Obviously a de-bridged atty is pretty useless with a cart.

But, this is now my designated dripping atty. And it just rocks the casbah.

If you're gunna do it, go all the way, right?

Last edited:

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
"Obviously a de-bridged atty is pretty useless with a cart."

So, if you're not using a cart, are you using a drip tip?

Yup. Makes things much easier. :)

With no bridge, there's no way for the atty to wick juice from the cart. So you can't use carts with them. Well, you can, but you'll still need to drip, lol.

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
Yup. Makes things much easier. :)

With no bridge, there's no way for the atty to wick juice from the cart. So you can't use carts with them. Well, you can, but you'll still need to drip, lol.

I figured you were, but I thought it might be good to mention it for people who are new to this (and haven't heard about drip tips yet).

One of these days, I'm sure I'll try it.

I finally remembered about the Taryn spin earlier this morning, so I tried it for real this time, and OMG! what a difference.

Shan B

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2010
Latrobe, PA
www.Vapecore.com
Nomad,

hey dude! Wanted to let you know I have a used 901 coming in this week sometime. I'll let you know on the debridging those, if you haven't messed with it yet. I also have a couple 808's coming as well gonna see what I can do with those.

I wound up de-bridging my 1st atty I got like uhm maybe 5 or 6 days ago. And doing my friend's today. I made a short video on my 3 min de-bridging. Found a super easy fast method to it. :) Might post the YT link later :D

Anyone who drips should own atleast 1 de-bridged/de-wicked atty. The vapor is better, the quality of flavor/taste is better, and you can tell when you need to clean it or run a quick dry burn vs waiting until it feels clogged.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Silly Shan. :) The more info the better. I am by no means a one-woman show.

Great vid! And thanks for adding the point not to pick at the mesh around the cup. The vid I linked to didn't really make that clear, and was the only one I knew of. So my first debridging, I was picking away at that mesh. Thank goodness I realized it's not supposed to be taken out before I destroyed the atty.

Those skinny tweezer/hemostat things are also a good idea. I was doing it with broader tweezers, and it's hard to see what you're doing with those things.

Another great resource! I love this place. :) Lemme know how the 901 goes. I still haven't done mine yet since I've been on a 306/LR kick (I know, me of all people!).

I suspect it will work similar to the 306, which also has a kind of metal plate around it. I found it a little harder to wiggle the bridge out because of that, but it's certainly do-able. And there's less risk of pulling the atty out because of the plate, so you can be a *little* rougher with it.

Shan B

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2010
Latrobe, PA
www.Vapecore.com
I have a few 808's and 901's coming either later this week or early next week. I'll see what I can pull out of my magic hat :D Yeah I tend to be silly at times, hahaha. I know ur not a 1 way show, but it's your thread and I know you love doing vids, just didn't know if you had one in the making or not. :p

I agree about the mesh, the 1st time I did 1 I was like "okay now do I dig it ALL out or what?".... "naaah I'll just leave some in there" and GLAD I did. I also want to mention, you don't have to be so delicate with it that you can't get the mesh to break up, just enough force and wiggle that it does it on it own :) I got my surgical tweezers/hemos @ a local Flea Market/Swap Meet for 2.00 << not bad given they are 100% Surgical Steel. I couldn't imagine trying to do it with norm tweezers... I would for sure mangle an atty. LOL Avon also sells those fold up tweezers (yep i have those too) it's normal on 1 end and needle nose at the other. Throwing that out there for anyone looking for 2 in 1 tweezers.

Nomad vaping a 306 LR?? woah! great to see you too are expanding your vaping horizon. I tend to vape way too often and heat my atty up til it's biting me back, so LR isn't something I should invest in, unless I can teach myself.. 1. Vape 2. let COOL 3. repeat. right now my steps consist of 1. Vape 2. REPEAT. I try avoiding being an atty killer, I've killed MANY Cartos doing experiments, but have yet to totally kill an atty. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

I just know I really need to invest in 510 to whatever adapters. Where would be the cheapest place? I have 3 sites bookmarked and so far the cheapest I've found is I think 4.00 each adapter and they offer 4 different ones.

I just need to expand my atty horizon so I can see what is what then move on to their matching carts and then cartomizers.

VAPE ON!

Silly Shan. :) The more info the better. I am by no means a one-woman show.

Great vid! And thanks for adding the point not to pick at the mesh around the cup. The vid I linked to didn't really make that clear, and was the only one I knew of. So my first debridging, I was picking away at that mesh. Thank goodness I realized it's not supposed to be taken out before I destroyed the atty.

Those skinny tweezer/hemostat things are also a good idea. I was doing it with broader tweezers, and it's hard to see what you're doing with those things.

Another great resource! I love this place. :) Lemme know how the 901 goes. I still haven't done mine yet since I've been on a 306/LR kick (I know, me of all people!).

I suspect it will work similar to the 306, which also has a kind of metal plate around it. I found it a little harder to wiggle the bridge out because of that, but it's certainly do-able. And there's less risk of pulling the atty out because of the plate, so you can be a *little* rougher with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread