Dec 27, 2013
United States

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
Very frustrating. Are they going to hold a town hall meeting? If not, can you request one?
It looks like it is a committee meeting right now. I did fire off an email to my councilman to let him know my thoughts. I haven't heard back yet, and don't know how far along they are in the process. I don't know if Denver does town hall meetings, but if anyone wants to send comments the email addresses for the council members are online.

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
Safety, Housing, Education & Homelessness Committee on 2017-09-13 10:00 AM - Sep 13th, 2017
The discussion of the ban starts about 1 hour into the video. The links to the presentation attachments are on the document on the split screen when I view it. Does @casaamedia or @JustJulie still monitor ECF to get a call to action started? The next meeting will be Oct. 11th. I'm going to try to put together an email to Mr. Brooks, but if others are interested and able to contact him that would be helpful.

@Letitia as far as the tourists, I think this is going to be really bad with unintended consequences. I used to work downtown and have to "run the gauntlet" of the street people to and from my transportation. It was especially bad on Friday evening commutes because at that time, there wasn't much activity on the mall and the people were more aggressive about panhandling to get enough whatever to make it till Monday morning. Most of the hotels downtown are no smoking/vaping inside the building, so the guests have to go out to the street if they need to smoke/vape. The area on the mall and close to the hotels will be well-lit at night, but if they send folks off to the alleys and dark corners, they are sending them right into the places that are not safe for anyone, especially if they are older and from out-of-town.

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
If I were a tourist and could not vape/smoke on sidewalk of mall I might cruise down the mall, but probably would not stay long enough to spend money.
The problem with 16th street is that they turned a city street into a pedestrian mall and it runs from one end of downtown to the other end. The only vehicles allowed on the street are the mall shuttle bus and law enforcement vehicles. If you were to come here for a convention or event at a downtown hotel, you would pretty much be trapped without a car, and parking is crazy expensive and scarce. If this law passes, you would be forced to move a block either way from 16th St. to streets that are pretty much dead after the workers go home, or into an alley with the dumpsters and other fun stuff that comes with life in the big city. As a vaper, you might get away with stealth in your room, but if you smoke, you are :censored:

I've refused to spend any money in Boulder or other local cities that ban smoking in public to avoid even giving them sales tax money. If I am forced to go somewhere with anti-smoking laws, I will spend as little money as possible, including brown-bagging meals if possible. If this law passes, I would recommend that folks find another place to stay and boycott Denver and any places along the mall if you can.

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
City council committee to consider smoking ban ordinance for 16th Street Mall

The committee is meeting again today. If anyone wants to send feedback to the city council, the links are above. I talked to my councilman's office and they said they have all been getting a lot of feedbacks on this issue. Even if you don't live in Denver, they want everyone to come spend their tourist and convention money downtown. Let them know what you think.

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States