The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Dermatologists: Leaders in the ANTZ parade

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by oxygen thief, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. oxygen thief

oxygen thief Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    I was still smoking in 2009 when I had skin cancer removed from my nose by a specialized dermatologist and then a plastic surgeon to patch things up. Plastic surgeons do NOT want to work on smokers or vapers or patchers or anything else. I'm about to have another tumor removed in March. He says no nic two weeks before or after the procedure. I didn't stop smoking last time. I vape 24mg and I may try 3mg juice for a month. Haha, that's going to happen.
    If you go to a plastic surgeon for elective surgery like a facelift and you're a smoker, many will refuse to do the procedure. Some do a urine test for nic. So occasionally nicotine is still a pain.
    All of the pre-op and post-op stuff is a PITA. Anyone else had basal cell carcinoma on the face removed?

2. Rat2chat2

Rat2chat2 ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 16, 2013
    Fantasy Island
    I am so sorry that you are having to have another surgery. Been a while since I have had any operations or procedures but this concerns me because there is no way I would be able to stop in order to have something done. I understand that as far as quicker healing and a less chance of complications it would be the best but it is my opinion that the doctor should remove the cancer because he/she took an oath to help people. Period. So many things I just will never understand. I wish you well and I am sure others that have more pertinent information regarding your situation will help you but I just wanted to share my point of view and wish you well. :)

3. SissySpike

SissySpike Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2012
    San Diego CA
    Why wont they operate when you have nic in your system?

4. K_Tech

K_Tech Slightly mad but harmless Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Eastern Ohio, USA
    I think the concern is because nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, and good blood flow is pretty critical to postoperative healing, I think.

Although I could be wrong...?

5. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I think Nicotine acts as a Vascular Constrictor. I might also Interact with the Anesthetic they will prep you with.

But I'm not a Doctor. This is just what I have heard.

6. stevegmu

stevegmu Moved On ECF Veteran

There are clearly medical reasons why surgeons don't want patients with nicotine in their systems. I know when I had emergency surgery years ago I was told to stop smoking afterward or the healing process would take much longer- the difference between stitches and a wound vac. I was using BLU and smoking at the time, so was able to get by with just BLU for a month. They didn't want me using the BLUs either, but I told them it was that or smoking...

7. SissySpike

SissySpike Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2012
    San Diego CA
    I wonder if its the same for caffeine? Ive been blessed only had a tooth pulled so far and then I opted for just numbing, but yea people die all the time from being put under so makes since you have to be clean of other drugs.

8. K_Tech

K_Tech Slightly mad but harmless Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Eastern Ohio, USA
    According to the Internet, caffeine is also a vasoconstrictor, but I can't find anything (yet) that compares the two directly. I imagine that would be hard to do, because of the different dosages?

9. AndriaD

AndriaD Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    When I had that emergency appendectomy in June, all I told them was that I had been smoke-free for 110 days (at that time). They didn't ask anything else, and I was in far too much pain to volunteer anything. I had absolutely zero ill effects, got to go home about 2 hrs after the surgery. Healing progressed normally, except for the incision actually in my navel, where the surgeon actually removed the septic tissue -- she said the appendix was basically in tatters, it was so septic. I'm pretty sure that secondary infection was due more to not fully removing all the septic material, than to the fact that I was a vaper.

Andria

10. sacullen

sacullen Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 7, 2014
    Chicago, IL, USA
    OP is probably mad they'll make him take off his foil hat, too. I know it's hard to believe, but not everyone is out to get you.
    Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who think they know better and when the poop hits the fan the first action they take is to visit a lawyer. Lawsuits can be very damaging to a doctor's reputation. Also, treating BCC is an elective procedure and therefore not a medical emergency. Not all doctors take the Hippocratic oath, either.

11. LiquidElectron

LiquidElectron Account closed on request ECF Veteran

Jan 20, 2015
    Iowa, U.S.
    I had all my teeth out four years ago. Long story. It was mostly due to smoking, oh the irony. So the surgeon was like 'don't smoke for two weeks before' and I was like 'lol' and he was like 'lol'. So I was told to try my best. Being a smoker, I of course failed miserably at trying, especially when you add on the stress of your first OR surgery ever. After I was done and sitting up and bleeding out of the mouth like a drugged up zombie, the guy comes out and says 'don't smoke for like two weeks now' and I was like uh huh, and he was like, I know.

But yeah, some surgeons will refuse. My dad needed a disc mesh implanted in his back and he actually did have to stop for four weeks or they wouldn't do it. He stopped for...exactly four weeks. I'm not sure how...then he went right back at it for 20 more years. And is still going, despite my pleas.

12. Iffy

Iffy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Florida Suncoast
    Noper, you're correct. I could relate a long story... but suffice it to say you're right!

Dude/dudette, please remove your anti-manners foil hat and expose da rest of your posterior!

13. Papa_Lazarou

Papa_Lazarou MKUltra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I had precisely this done in Oct of this past year. I told the doctors that I vaped - they nodded and on we went.

Just had a second follow-up appointment last Friday - all good, healing nicely. They even commented how well it was doing.

The technique employed was MOHS micrographic surgery and it ended up being a 4 inch incision with about 15 stitches. Much of my cheek had to be sculpted, which sounds gruesome, but was done to allow the incision to follow and mimic my "smile" fold line. To be honest, people who don't know I had it done can't even tell at this point.

I mention the details only to say that this was no half-inch-two-stitch affair.

At no point was so much as a finger wagged at me regarding the nic use, and my recovery is right on schedule.

14. Maiar

Maiar Ultra Member ECF Veteran

They don't like you smoking before surgery because it can increase your heart rate and thus make your heart have to work harder to provide oxygen, which is competing with the carbon monoxide from the smoking in your body. Anesthesiology is a very particular thing and they're really touchy about anything at all interfering with the body during the process. And then there's also the part about smoking screwing up your immune system and a laundry list of other effects it can have on the procedure and post op healing. That was what they told me anyways. That said, they also said I should stop smoking a couple weeks before hand but I didn't have to. They we're very particular about not smoking in the 12 hours beforehand along with no eating and only drinking minimal amounts of water.

15. CMD-Ky

CMD-Ky Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    I would not say that the dermatologists are marching in the ANTZ parade. If i had facial surgery and if I wanted a successful outcome then I would also like a maximum blood flow to the operative area. Nicotine inhibits that blood flow especially in capillaries by acting as a vaso-constrictor. But that is just one old guy's opinion. Think as you will.

16. Racehorse

Racehorse ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    ANY kind of plastic surgery is very much influenced by oxygen to tissues, unlike most general surgeries. You do not want bad healing and/or scars, and nicotine is a vaso constrictor.

Back before there was such thing as vaping I did have to have something removed, and my plastic surgeon showed me some of the results he had, and some were on nic users, and as a result (bad results) he would not operate on nicotine users.

I did have to quit cold turkey, it was hard but not as hard as worrying what might have happened if I had not.

Plastic surgery is very different from other kinds of surgery and you have to have the very best oxygen flow to all those tiny tiny blood vessels which are in skin, esp. if on face.

Now, of course, they are ANTZ because they want the best outcome for their patients. :facepalm: sorry, but I don't get it. And don't agree with ya'll. I went to 4 different surgeons, and this was 10 years ago, and none of them could assure a good outcome if I was using nicotine.

That is based on their experience doing surgery thousands of times........sorry, but I don't believe there are any members here who have performed enough surgeries to really make a reliable comment......certainly not more reliable than my surgeon. :)

Just like aspirin will affect blood clotting.......nicotine does affect oxygenation to microscopic and small blood vessells......something in skin surgery on your face that you want to avoid.

17. Racehorse

Racehorse ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    Andria, Which is not plastic surgery, and does not involve small and also microscopic blood vessels on your face, where you are trying to prevent even the smallest of scars.

For my money, anecdotals from plastic surgeons who has actually performed thousands of surgeries and can show and tell the actual outcomes beats out anecdotals from members of a vaping forum. No offense to anybody, but that's just reality. :)

OP---------You may have very good results regardless. And I hope you do!

The point is that it increases risks.......in plastic surgery.

18. Nermal

Nermal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 8, 2013
    Farmington, NM USA
    Thanks for sharing that, Racehorse. It might actually influence me if there is a next time for skin cancer on the nose. My plastic surgeon not only had the personality of a long dead fish, he wore a little bow tie to work. I wouldn't believe a thing he said.

19. oxygen thief

Jun 26, 2012
    No, you're right. I said dermatologists but my dermatologist has no problem removing it, the plastic surgeon is the one that's concerned. I have a scar from the first operation that may have shown less if I wasn't a smoker. Also skin tissue can die (I don't know the right word for that) and could make for a followup operation. They are moving skin and cartridge around so it's tricky.

20. oxygen thief

Jun 26, 2012
    They have no concerns with caffeine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.