design of RTA and its effect on THROAT HIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammersmith

Aug 19, 2019
I'm from Turkey and as far as I see my fellow vapers are so much concerned about having satisfying throat hit comparing to most other countries. Here I really don't want to bother you with other factors like Nicotin and PG ratio, Power settings, wick and airflow.
I'm just and merely interested in design of chimney and the tank itself with their effect on throat hit, because this is what I hear from most local vapers. This can't be as easy as explaining it with the height of tank, shape of chimney and position of coils. Please don't hesitate to throw away your ideas in order to enlighten me and other misguided/misinformed vapers. Thanks in advance for all contributers.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome,
Don't forget PG content and nicotine content.
Try something like an "ACHILLES" for a bit more insight.
Atomizer «ACHILLES»

atomizer-achilles-full-titanium.jpg

Have fun.
I

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
I've noticed nic content is the biggest single factor regarding throat hit. No way your gonna get the same throat hit from 3mg nic compared to say 12mg nic. While the design of the hardware does come into play nothing can change that. In my experience anyway.

I get my throat hit now at 3mg nic, by making my menthols as 'cold' as I can and still enjoy it.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
I'm from Turkey and as far as I see my fellow vapers are so much concerned about having satisfying throat hit comparing to most other countries. Here I really don't want to bother you with other factors like Nicotin and PG ratio, Power settings, wick and airflow.
I'm just and merely interested in design of chimney and the tank itself with their effect on throat hit, because this is what I hear from most local vapers. This can't be as easy as explaining it with the height of tank, shape of chimney and position of coils. Please don't hesitate to throw away your ideas in order to enlighten me and other misguided/misinformed vapers. Thanks in advance for all contributers.

Well if ya disregard all those things in bold and insist on finding the ''missing'' link'' you may have a long search.

hammersmith

Aug 19, 2019
Well if ya disregard all those things in bold and insist on finding the ''missing'' link'' you may have a long search.
That is the reason I'm here to find out what I'm missing. All those factors of Nicotin and PG rate, High Power or Airflow regulation things that I can figure out. We may consider GG Tilemahos Armed Eagle as an example, how come it brings more throat hit comparing to others. Yes this is my question and hopefully I can have someone posting here to enlighten me, otherwise I'll kick myself continously.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
That is the reason I'm here to find out what I'm missing. All those factors of Nicotin and PG rate, High Power or Airflow regulation things that I can figure out. We may consider GG Tilemahos Armed Eagle as an example, how come it brings more throat hit comparing to others. Yes this is my question and hopefully I can have someone posting here to enlighten me, otherwise I'll kick myself continously.
Start kicking

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I believe the tilehamos TH might have something to do with the coil having walls nearby , creating more heat at the coil., I get a similar TH with the mark bugs Gem. Same goes for the confined ,chimney reducing caps that alot of the genesis attys adopted, so recess a coil area and gain TH. I think that's why chimneys in general produce more TH, but it's not that simple. I have some rtas with small chimneys , while some with larger and I dont feel that every one with a smaller chimney produces a bigger TH....I also feel the bore and height of the chimney tube plays a part, but gave up a while ago figuring out why and how. I am one that loves a big TH and tried many things to produce that with lower nic and nothing really worked. Wattages, pg, and all those didnt substitute the feeling of a high freebase nic. For me its rtas only at 24mg , as anything without a chimney seems too tame in terms of TH. Have you tried rayon? Again, not something that really makes a difference , but imo it does add a touch more compared to cotton, same with kanthal when comparing it to SS.

hammersmith

Aug 19, 2019
Start kicking
Not yet but will do it in a pleasent way :confused:.
It's maybe very early to say but have I asked something that must remain mystery or too difficult to comment, please don't take it wrong I'm not challenging just wondering why people talk about that certain RTA have great throat hit but other one is not enough or anything else.

hammersmith

Aug 19, 2019
I believe the tilehamos TH might have something to do with the coil having walls nearby , creating more heat at the coil., I get a similar TH with the mark bugs Gem. Same goes for the confined ,chimney reducing caps that alot of the genesis attys adopted, so recess a coil area and gain TH. I think that's why chimneys in general produce more TH, but it's not that simple. I have some rtas with small chimneys , while some with larger and I dont feel that every one with a smaller chimney produces a bigger TH....I also feel the bore and height of the chimney tube plays a part, but gave up a while ago figuring out why and how. I am one that loves a big TH and tried many things to produce that with lower nic and nothing really worked. Wattages, pg, and all those didnt substitute the feeling of a high freebase nic. For me its rtas only at 24mg , as anything without a chimney seems too tame in terms of TH. Have you tried rayon? Again, not something that really makes a difference , but imo it does add a touch more compared to cotton, same with kanthal when comparing it to SS.
This really helps, thank you. I have below notes with your help.
1. Positioning of coils, distance is longer to airhole gives you more TH. this is even more with walls.
2. Upward reduced chimneys brings more TH but probably less flavor. I may also consider curveness would positively effect on TH.
3. I guess size of Chimney should be proportional to height of RTA to get same result, this type of RTAs always good to me since I will inhale colder vapor.
Wicking material is also effective I know but I don't use and recommend anyone using inorganic cotton.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I kind of don't get why you are getting upset that people aren't pulling some magical "Throat hit" RTA that will deliver one without the addition of everything else. Because while it may be possible that a FEW RTAs are particularly "throat hit oriented" (I would not know) all the other variables matter quite a bit too. No one is trying to derail you they are trying to help.

Anna

hammersmith

Aug 19, 2019
I kind of don't get why you are getting upset that people aren't pulling some magical "Throat hit" RTA that will deliver one without the addition of everything else. Because while it may be possible that a FEW RTAs are particularly "throat hit oriented" (I would not know) all the other variables matter quite a bit too. No one is trying to derail you they are trying to help.

Anna
I guess I should choose correct words to express how I approach this, you are right. I've just got feeling that everyone talks about those other effects but not the one I'm wondering most. We have thousand of different designs available and I believe designers are concerned about throat hit as much as flavor, especially for MTLs. But when it comes to reviews I don't see reviewer explain possible reasons or anybody asks. Did I get too excited? Hope not.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I guess I should choose correct words to express how I approach this, you are right. I've just got feeling that everyone talks about those other effects but not the one I'm wondering most. We have thousand of different designs available and I believe designers are concerned about throat hit as much as flavor, especially for MTLs. But when it comes to reviews I don't see reviewer explain possible reasons or anybody asks. Did I get too excited? Hope not.
It seems the trend now is towards cooler vapes and less TH, at least that's what I see. With nic salts, overall lower freebase nic levels, etc , most seem like they dont like or cant handle warmer , big TH vapes. I could be wrong , but when I mention 24mg freebase in a mtl rebuildable rta, most kind of say, "that's how I started many years ago, but now am down to 3 or 6mg". I haven't had a smoke in over 8 years and tbh, i forgot the heat and TH of a Marlboro. When i started vaping 8 years ago, i basically went straight into rebuildables and 24mg and felt it was comparable to marlboros, but I could be wrong and what I'm vaping might be much more of a TH than the cigs I use to smoke..or perhaps over the years I have tweaked my vape to have more TH to when I started. Just seems that most dont like it as warm and as big of a TH, so perhaps a cig is more mello than what I remember...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
I find that a more reduced chamber builds more heat and that can help with the throat hit. ("The presence of walls" 1.)

Edit: Now I am kicking myself, I started talking about RDAs and heatfins/heatsinks. Heatfins on RTA's are a different beast...

A shorter chimney again contributes to more heat. If it is very open, this will however dissipate the heat. Openness is relative to chamber size.

I think trying to look at these factors in isolation is difficult. For example, airflow interacts with chamber and chimney dimensions. A doming inside the chamber roof above the coil makes airflow smoother and reduces the chamber size, leading to more heat.

I think you get my point, I think heat is a factor in throat hit and I think how chamber and chimney size affect this is relevant. As relevant as the airflow through the chamber, wattage to the coil, coil resistance, composition and volume and liquid composition.

Last edited:
Reactions: hammersmith

Vape Muppet

Apr 12, 2019
UK
Generally I find it's a combination of factors, very reduced chamber, restrictive airflow, narrow tapered chimney. But you really have to look at not just the design but quite often the country it's made in. The Titanium Mods atomizers are all about throat hit, simply due to the fact Ukranian vaper's expect something that delivers the equivalent of Russian cigarettes. Try an Achilles II, Prometey or Ataman with a good tobacco e-liquid and the effect is instantly noticeable.

Same story goes for the Turkish designs I own like the Troy RDA and the Troya RTA, or even the Spica Pro. Some Greek atomizers offer that kind of experience too such as the old GP Heron 1.5 and to an extent the Tilemahos V2 Plus which I would argue still has more throat hit than the Armed.

Belarusian designs like the KA-V8 have that throat hit too. Even some German designs have it, such as the Taifun GTR and almost certainly the Flash-e-vapor which is one of my best tanks for flavour, ease of use and above all throat hit. So the trick really is to work out what all those designs have in common.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I find that a more reduced chamber builds more heat and that can help with the throat hit. ("The presence of walls" 1.)

Edit: Now I am kicking myself, I started talking about RDAs and heatfins/heatsinks. Heatfins on RTA's are a different beast...

A shorter chimney again contributes to more heat. If it is very open, this will however dissipate the heat. Openness is relative to chamber size.

I think trying to look at these factors in isolation is difficult. For example, airflow interacts with chamber and chimney dimensions. A doming inside the chamber roof above the coil makes airflow smoother and reduces the chamber size, leading to more heat.

I think you get my point, I think heat is a factor in throat hit and I think how chamber and chimney size affect this is relevant. As relevant as the airflow through the chamber, wattage to the coil, coil resistance, composition and volume and liquid composition.
I agree on most except the lenght of chimney tube. I know it's not cut and dry and perhaps a shorter chimney tube in conjunction with something else might increase TH, but alone, I'm not so sure. I have some rtas with long chimney tubes and the TH seems just as potent as ones with shorter tubes....its hard to say for sure, so many little variables that plays little parts to a whole....reduced chimney size for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread