Desire X-Mini 108W TC/TCR Box Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the X-Mini 108W TC/TCR Box mod from Desire Design. The X-Mini 108W TC/TCR Box mod was supplied for the purpose of this review by Kristina from Desire Design.

http://www.desiredesign.com/index.php/pr...id/45.html

In the Box

Contents:

1 * Desire X-Mini 108W Box mod
1 * 18650 battery adapter
1 * USB Charger
1 * User Manual
1 * Warranty Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The X-Mini comes in cardboard packaging and is tightly packed so the device should fair well in transit. I received the Red colour which is a very nice wine Red, it's also available in White, Black, Silver and Blue. The device is large for a single 21700 device and would be an average size if it was dual battery, it's also very heavy. The size and weight will divide opinion some people will think if i have a duel battery size device i might as well get a device that is duel battery but others really will just judge the device on it's merits and actually find the weight reassuring that they have a solidly built device. The device is a weird shape as both front, back, base and top are sunken in allowing the 4 corners of the device to protrude then these corners are angled and curved, it's on one of these curved corners we have the large rectangular fire button very nicely positioned to be thumb fired. Overall the device is pretty neutral in my opinion when it comes to ergonomics but i do like the position of the fire button. One side of the device has a raised geometric design with the Desire Design logo central in a White translucent material, the opposite side is flat and has a very large "X" etched into the metal and further down "DESIRE" also etched. The shapely spine is featureless, the front of the device see's the already mentioned White rectangular fire button on the top curved angle, towards the bottom we have White, round left and right buttons followed by the micro USB port. Housed centrally on the front of the device we have the 0.96 OLED screen and moving to the top of the device we have a 510 plate which is cradled by the raised corners of the device, the 510 is Gold plated and spring loaded. As i have touched on, the device has excellent build quality and the finish is very nice, there are no rattles whatsoever.

X-Mini Specs and Features:

Dimensions: 109mm x 53mm x 25mm
Material: Die Cast Zinc Alloy
Finish: Baking Paint & Pearl Powder, Abrasive Blast Treatment
5-108W Wattage Output Range
0.08ohm Min Atomizer Resistance
200-600F Temperature Range
Variable Temperature Control : Nickel 200 / Titanium / Stainless Steel / TCR
0.96" OLED Display Screen
Glowing LED Light
Large Fire Button
Ergonomic Curved Design
PMG (Power Multiple Graph) Power Curve Adjustment Mode
Requires (1) 18650 or 21700 High Amp Battery (Sold Separately)
Micro USB Charging Port
510 Threaded
Colours: White, Black, Red, Silver, Blue

Fitting the Battery

One side of the device is a removable panel which can be helped off via a notch at the bottom of the device. Once off we have a very neat and tidy battery compartment where you fit your 21700 or 18650 (with supplied adaptor), once again we have Black on Black orientation which i hate. There is an extra large battery strap with Desire printed on it in White and the panel secures firmly in place with 3 very large magnets, there is no movement with the panel whatsoever (very nice job).

Using the X-Mini

The X-Mini is a very simple device to use having the bare minimal features to operate fully in power and temperature control modes. Turning the device on and off is 5 clicks of the fire button and once on you are met with a bright screen which i had no problems seeing outside. The display has a battery status bar top left, next to this it displays Mini and the Desire Design logo. Below this we have a highlight strip which accommodates the mode you are in, underneath is your wattage or temperature when in temp control. Below we have a chevron shape highlight section that displays the voltage or wattage when in temp control. Finally at the bottom of the screen we have the subpara to the left and resistance to the right. To change mode is 3 clicks of the fire button which will cause your current mode to flash, now pressing the right button alters the display to a different mode with each click. The modes are VW, TC Ni, TC Ti, TC SS, TCR Memory slot and Power Curve. When in variable wattage clicking the fire button 3 times will as already explained cause the mode to flash but if you press left instead of right it will now cause the subpara to flash so you can choose between puffs or amps. When in temp control clicking the fire button 3 times and then pressing left will cause the wattage to flash allowing you to adjust wattage for temp control, pressing left again moves as in variable wattage mode to the subpara which again can be altered. When in a mode with nothing flashing pressing the left and right buttons alters your wattage or temperature when in temp control. There are some combination key presses, right and left together locks and unlocks the keys but the device will fire and finally right and fire together locks the resistance. The menu on the X-Mini is a big pro as i fail to see how it could be made any easier to use.

Desire Design Logo Lighting Up

On one side of the device as mentioned in the Aesthetics section we have a large translucent Desire Design logo. When vaping the logo lights up a really nice shade of pale blue and fades away after finishing your vape. Some people don't like LED's but i feel it's done on this device in a way that even they will like or at least not mind it which is a good job really as there is no option to turn the LED off (also the colour can't be changed).

Performance

As with most devices of late i couldn't notice any delay and the fire button is very well positioned and has a satisfying click. I have no idea if the device with a single battery does the full 108W but it certainly seemed accurate on all the wattage's i tried. As ever i don't do temp control so although i have heard nothing negative about the device in temp control if that's how you vape you need to sort out further information. The battery life also seemed very good to the point that i actually forgot i had installed an 18650 with adaptor and thought i had installed a 21700 because it seemed that good. The main issue i have with the device is the raised areas on top of the device, yes 26mm and 25mm tanks look really good with the sides cradling your tank but good luck adjusting a bottom airflow control ring luckily for me a few of my favourite RTA's are top air-flow. The device supports on board 1A charging and is fully firmware upgradeable.

Conclusion

Large device (relative) and awkward to adjust bottom airflow on tanks but if those 2 things don't bother you i can't find anything else to take issue with but plenty to like.

Solid built device
Unique design
Tanks look good with raised corners of device
Performed well in power mode for me
Custom power curve
Temp control
Very simple menu system
No noticeable delay
LED logo looks really good (in my opinion)
No button rattle
All buttons clicky
Position of fire button
Very bright screen
21700 or 18650 battery
On board charging
Firmware upgradeable.

Dislikes

Tanks with bottom airflow control rings will need removing from device to adjust
Tanks over 26mm will not fit on the device
Very large for single battery (some people will not like)
Heavy (again some people will not like)
No option to switch LED off or change colour (doesn't bother me but will some people)
Black on Black battery orientation

I would once again like to thank Kristina from Desire Design for supplying the X-Mini 108W TC/TCR Box Mod for the purpose of this review.

http://www.desiredesign.com/index.php/pr...id/45.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Tonee N
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread