Desperately In Need Of Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjodmir

May 13, 2015
Hey guys. I will try to provide plenty of information based on the hours of research I have already done. I have been vaping for about 6-8 months, on and off between cigarettes, and as of two weeks ago, I have been exclusively vaping. I have a big problem, though. The past few weeks, everything tastes terrible, every time. My equipment: MVP 2 and EVOD VV batteries, Kanger Mini Protank 3 and a new Aspire Nautilus (with BVC). I do my research. I prime my coils well, I keep my watts low at first, I take proper drags, I clean and dry between flavors, I don't chain vape all day. I have tried different vg/pg ratios (and adjust air flow accordingly) and good juice brands. I have been through countless coils and tried different setups with my equipment trying to figure this out. I just bought the Nautilus (with BVC) thinking it was the PT3 causing the issues. Nope, still bad. Could it be vaper's tongue causing everything to taste bad? When I do a mouth hit and exhale from my nose, it's unbearably harsh and plasticky no matter the setup. Lung hits aren't as gross, plenty of vapor, but have weak, off, flavor. Never had this problem when I first started vaping on a EVOD starter kit. The taste is driving me mad and I'm trying my hardest not to pick up some analogs. Thanks for any help.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
I'm sure someone will bring this up, but is it possible you're dehydrated? I know that it will definitely impact the flavor terribly. You could also be getting sick. It's also possible that you've gotten bad luck with your equipment. I'd say drink some more water, lots of it and try to go to a good brick and mortar and see if they'll let you try out some equipment.

Reactions: Mimikim1234

Mjodmir

May 13, 2015
I'm sure someone will bring this up, but is it possible you're dehydrated? I know that it will definitely impact the flavor terribly. You could also be getting sick. It's also possible that you've gotten bad luck with your equipment. I'd say drink some more water, lots of it and try to go to a good brick and mortar and see if they'll let you try out some equipment.
Thank you. I drink water all day usually. And I just got over the "quitter's cold" which lasted about 4 days. I still have a scratchy spot at the top of my throat but it feels like the vape is doing it as I am no longer sick...

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
You might try this. When you take your fist vape of the day, does your taste become unbearably harsh and plasticky?
1. "Unbearably harsh" to me means the throat hit has a almost burning sensation in the back of your throat. Sounds like your nic might be too high? Too much nic can make a big difference in the taste of a juice. You might want to try a juice with lower nic. This alone can be the main cause of your problem.
2. You might want to find a juice that is a totally new flavor, which sounds like you might like, with a lower nic count.
My first vape of the day is always the best with regards to any of my favorite juices. My favorite juices 6 mos. ago are sill good, but not at this time at the top of my juice preferences.
3. I see you are trying to keep the juice at lower wattages at first. Good idea. Then slowly adjust.

Reactions: cckayne

Mjodmir

May 13, 2015
You might try this. When you take your fist vape of the day, does your taste become unbearably harsh and plasticky?
1. "Unbearably harsh" to me means the throat hit has a almost burning sensation in the back of your throat. Sounds like your nic might be too high? Too much nic can make a big difference in the taste of a juice. You might want to try a juice with lower nic. This alone can be the main cause of your problem.
2. You might want to find a juice that is a totally new flavor, which sounds like you might like, with a lower nic count.
My first vape of the day is always the best with regards to any of my favorite juices. My favorite juices 6 mos. ago are sill good, but not at this time at the top of my juice preferences.
3. I see you are trying to keep the juice at lower wattages at first. Good idea. Then slowly adjust.
The throat is moderate but if I inhale and send it straight out of my nose, it's harsh and gross. First vape is still no good but I get slightly more flavor for about three to five hits, then it's back to little flavor and bad exhale. I have rotated flavors, but they were ones I've always used. I'll pick up a new flavor tomorrow with lower nic (currently using 12). What would be a good flavor to switch to for someone that vapes custard, vanilla, caramel flavored juices?

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Thank you. I drink water all day usually. And I just got over the "quitter's cold" which lasted about 4 days. I still have a scratchy spot at the top of my throat but it feels like the vape is doing it as I am no longer sick...
I had to start drinking about a gallon and a half a day lol. Chain vaping will do that (aand work). It might be a good idea to try out some unflavored juice and see if it also tastes terrible. Have you thought about switching to something with more airflow, suited to lung hits? By all means keep trying to get the best vape out of your current setup, but don't ditch the idea of a different tank.

Tokyosexwhale

May 12, 2015
What level of nicotine are you using? (Just saw you're using 12, I definitely recommend going lower) And which juices are doing this? I'm not knocking you on you selection of "good" juices, but taste is subjective, and there are several well rated juice vendors that use lower quality nicotine in their products.

Also, I don't think it's vapor's tongue. That may cause things to taste dull, but I wouldn't think it would contribute to harshness. Sounds to me like you're burning your wicks. I have a Nautilus and have found that with thicker VG juices, I have to let the wicks saturate for nearly 10 minutes. Also, some juices I can jump in around 10 watts and others can't go above 8, what's your usual starting point? Best of luck, stay off those analogs!

Mjodmir

May 13, 2015
What level of nicotine are you using? (Just saw you're using 12, I definitely recommend going lower) And which juices are doing this? I'm not knocking you on you selection of "good" juices, but taste is subjective, and there are several well rated juice vendors that use lower quality nicotine in their products.

Also, I don't think it's vapor's tongue. That may cause things to taste dull, but I wouldn't think it would contribute to harshness. Sounds to me like you're burning your wicks. I have a Nautilus and have found that with thicker VG juices, I have to let the wicks saturate for nearly 10 minutes. Also, some juices I can jump in around 10 watts and others can't go above 8, what's your usual starting point? Best of luck, stay off those analogs!
I'm using Vintage e-liquid's The Drifter, Halo's Tribeca, Suicide Bunny's Mother's Milk, Hold Fast's Jaws. All in 12 to 18 nic. I'll go for a light melon, lower nic and I guess a 50/50 ratio? Or even lower on the vg for better wicking?

Too much nic will do that every time: nicotine is bitter. 12mg/ml or less should lessen that effect. Also, easy on the VG levels - VG kills coils and doesn't wick fast enough to avoid burn and dry-hitting. I'd recommend 70/30 PG-VG or perhaps even 80/20 for the Aspire (which is great with plenty of PG). As many have counseled, keep that wattage low for best flavour. I personally vape at 5.7 - 6.0 W without any issues whatsoever. You don't need a higher power, unless of course you prefer the hot burnt taste that so many sub-ohmers seem to like. Be a normal vaper and you'll be ok. Vape cool. :)

Last edited:

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
I second the Kanger Subtank mini suggestion. I went from using a nautilus and a nautilus mini to a Subtank in December and it's been a night and day difference. I realized, however, after I posted my comment, that you might be using the new, cotton, nautilus coils, which I have never tried. I find a lot of juices to be strong on flavor, I often dilute with VG to taste. The RBA base in the subtank was the first rebuildable I tried, and now I haven't used a premade coil in months.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
RA-YellowroseMouse207-welcome_1_50.gif
to ecf Mjodmir. Nice to meet you and so glad you are here. I am sorry you are having this particular problem. I've never experienced it but I have read so many threads that did. It can come on at any time and go away just as quickly. I sure hope yours goes away fast. I know you have probably read a bunch about it but here is a site and maybe they have a suggestions for you.

Vaper`s Tongue: What it is, what causes it and how to cure it!
Connie_click-me.gif

Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing. We are a "caring" bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread