Determining accurate percentages in recipes when substituting different brands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt1285

Oct 31, 2018
So often I come across recipes that call for say cap sweet cream or a particular brand of strawberry or cap cake batter, or fw yellow cake instead of cap yellow cake, etc etc...just was wondering if anyone knew a good way to determine what percentage would be a close accurate percentage of you were to use cap yellow cake over fw yellow cake or tpa hazelnut over cap hazelnut or vice versa...this is one thing I never took the time to learn so if anyone could be so kind does anyone have any ideas. Is there a mathematical preference or is it just a go with it and guess determining on what flavors are stronger...what brands are stronger or weaker. Is there a chart??????? Lol...thanks in advance guys for any help and it's much appreciated

• Useful
Reactions: Izan

Matt1285

Oct 31, 2018
I mean so for example:
Cap strawberry 5%
Fw yellow cake 3%
Cap sweet cream 2%
Cap NY cheesecake 4%

Where as i would have tfa strawberry, cap yellow cake tfa sweet cream and tfa Graham crust cheesecake...wouldn't I have to alter the percentages to taste because I dont have the same brands? Or you think I should just leave them the same percent...aren't some flavor brands stronger or weaker than others

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I know of no formula. I have read on these boards of people's opinions in general, but that was awhile ago.

I have had to substitute brands. I "wing" it, but I do put it in the notes and when I finally try it, I add to the notes.

As soon as I am out of a recipe flavor I re-order immediately. I do experiment. I just take "complete" notes.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I mean so for example:
Cap strawberry 5%
Fw yellow cake 3%
Cap sweet cream 2%
Cap NY cheesecake 4%

Where as i would have tfa strawberry, cap yellow cake tfa sweet cream and tfa Graham crust cheesecake...wouldn't I have to alter the percentages to taste because I dont have the same brands? Or you think I should just leave them the same percent...aren't some flavor brands stronger or weaker than others
Hi and welcome Matt
If it is a new recipe, you do not know what it is "supposed" to taste like.
Do you have TFA Straw or Straw Ripe? (some folks, myself included, prefer a mix of strawberry from different vendors. I like 2/1 straw ripe/sweet straw) INA Shisha strawberry is also nice to have in the mixing box.

Mix up 15ml and see what needs adjusting.
The yellow cake, Graham cheescake and Sweet cream may benefit from a few weeks ageing and the straw may fade in that time. You can always mix the creams/deserts separately, age them and then mix in the fruit(s) later.

Have fun
I

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I agree with all respondents. Recipes are available, but there's wide variation in percentages and mixes in those who DIY. Everyone has their own taste and mixology preferences.

My best suggestion for mixing juice when you are starting out in DIY is to mix light and add flavor slowly. Some flavors are "Shake and Vape" and others grow in flavor as the juice steeps. Knowing the characteristics of a flavor is a valuable piece of info.

You can always add more flavor and wait, but removing flavor from an over-flavored mix requires the addition of more nic, pg, and vg to dilute flavor. So, start on the low side of flavor and wait for steeping to occur before adding more flavor. A big bottle of unflavored juice will come in handy for diluting over-flavored mixes. Lots of us vape unflavored juice a good portion of the day anyway, so that bottle of unflavored juice will come in handy.

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I mean so for example:
Cap strawberry 5%
Fw yellow cake 3%
Cap sweet cream 2%
Cap NY cheesecake 4%
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might like to read:
Woftam's "How I Sub A Flavor"
re: Google "E- Liquid Recipes: Woftam's How I Sub A Flavor" .

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
It's more than strength, though. Cap Yellow Cake might have a different flavour than FW Yellow Cake. After all, what does yellow cake taste like? It depends on the recipe and who makes it.

I don't mean you shouldn't try it. Experimentation is an essential component of DIY, and the results could be excellent. Or vile. Like everyone else has said, it's just a case of trying it out (in very small batches!) and fiddling with the results.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Hawise is right on. Flavors vary in strength and overall flavor between manufacturers. Individual mix percentage and flavor brand varies with the taste of the individual. That's why you might like a vendor mix from one juice seller better than the same flavor from another vendor. Most vendor juices will use multiple flavorings to achieve what they are targeting in their juice.

Experiment and keep notes on the results.

Last edited:

RandalMcdaniels

Nov 3, 2018
Hey guys i just registered and i can't make my own topic. Mind if i ask this here?

I just made my first eliquid. It vapes perfectly but it's too strong. It has that exact same bitter taste that JUUL pods have. (I read that juul pods have 58mg nicotine so i aimed for 60mg in my mixture)

I only made 10ML of ejuice but it is 60/40 PGVG. It has 60MG of nicotine.

How many more ML of nic-less ejuice should i add? 2ML? Id like 45MG

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hey guys i just registered and i can't make my own topic. Mind if i ask this here?

I just made my first eliquid. It vapes perfectly but it's too strong. It has that exact same bitter taste that JUUL pods have. (I read that juul pods have 58mg nicotine so i aimed for 60mg in my mixture)

Freebase nicotine or nic salts? If 58mg was too bitter why would you think higher would be better?

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada

3.3333 ml. You want 3/4 of the nicotine, so your 10 ml needs to be 3/4 of the final product. 10 / 0.75 = 13.3, so add 3.3.

ETA:
Why don't I try this again with an explanation someone might actually be able to understand?

You have 10 ml of juice with 60 mg/ml of nicotine.

Total Nicotine: 10 ml * 60 mg/ml = 600 mg of nicotine.

You want 45 mg/ml juice. 600 mg of nicotine divided by an unknown volume of juice will give you a concentration of 45 mg/ml:

600 mg / x = 45 mg/ml

x = 600 mg / 45 mg/ml = 13.3 ml

You have 10 ml, you want 13.3 ml, so add 3.3 ml.

A lot of people use online calculators for this sort of thing. I trust my own figures more so I don't have one handy. I'd look up one for you to use in the future, but I'm sure someone who's more familiar with them will stop by with a recommendation before long.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: IDJoel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread