Diabetes and VG use

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNZ

NZ Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
Are any forum members that use VG instead of PG diabetic ?

I'd be very interested to hear if using VG has in any way affected your blood sugar level seeing that VG is metabolised into glucose as opposed the lactic acid that PG breaks down to.

I have a friend that is type I and is also allergic to PG, I'd like to reccommend they try VG instead but want some more information on the possible downside before I do so

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Gotcha TB...

Hi MNZ...VG is a oily liquid which has a component for glycemic reaction..as the metabolism of oil whether ingested or inhaled still carries a glycemic values..(less known about the inhaled form so far) but I would erred on the caution side for any diabetics who wants to use VG as a replacement for PG..still a lot of work to be done and so far I am checking on my diabetics who is using VG as well as PG..so far no diferrence as far as I can see.... their Glucose reading is stable at the least...(don't forget normal dietary influences as well)..hope the info helps MNZ...

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
if PG is metabolised into lactic acid, does that mean that if smoked in large amounts could have the same effects as lactose would and therefore cause ........?

No, lactic acid and lactose is two totally diferrent things..one is a saccharide compound(like glucose , fructose and lactose) and lactic acid is by product(waste) from muscle or cellular usage(during exercise for eg)

Lactose can trigger diarrhoea in those with Lactose intolerance..but not lactic acid..it can trigger muscle cramps and soreness..some reported lethargy(like DevilFish).

BananaDoc

ECF Veteran
Gotcha TB...

Hi MNZ...VG is a oily liquid which has a component for glycemic reaction..as the metabolism of oil whether ingested or inhaled still carries a glycemic values..(less known about the inhaled form so far) but I would erred on the caution side for any diabetics who wants to use VG as a replacement for PG..still a lot of work to be done and so far I am checking on my diabetics who is using VG as well as PG..so far no diferrence as far as I can see.... their Glucose reading is stable at the least...(don't forget normal dietary influences as well)..hope the info helps MNZ...

Thank you my friend--i was planning to experiment with VG to replace/augment the PG... in fact was on the fence about which to try from our new SmokeJuice friends at the "creek"...

as a type1 diabetic--the glucose thing did concern me... I imagine it is something my glyburide should easily handle; however ya never know. i have gotten sore muscles from the PG after heavier "smoking" days.

Last edited:

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Thank you my friend--i was planning to experiment with VG to replace/augment the PG... in fact was on the fence about which to try from our new SmokeJuice friends at the "creek"...

as a type1 diabetic--the glucose thing did concern me... I imagine it is something my glyburide should easily handle; however ya never know. i have gotten sore muscles from the PG after heavier "smoking" days.

Hi ya Bro...it's been a while I have not seen you active...do you know there is a possible cure for Diabetic Type 1?.....

Take it easy with PG...try out Vg but check on your Fasting Glucose level and post prandrial levels as well....PM me if you need help, bro..I handled a lot of Diabetics cases here....

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
While looking for any and every test on glycerine, I found this, which should reassure diabetics further:

G L Y C E R I N
(also known as Glycerine, and Glycerol)
By Dr George Samra
An extract from Dr George Samra (2002),THE HYPOGLYCEMIC CONNECTION II, One Stop Allergies, Sydney. Australia Page 251.

"When given orally, glycerin is readily absorbed. It may be employed as a sweetening agent or vehicle in place of syrups. It may be used in diabetes and in Hypoglycemia Disease as a sweetener because its absorption and metabolism bypass the pancreas and insulin secretion. In this way it is able to act as a useful energy source in these diseases."

Route of entry should not alter this finding.

Hi ya Bro...it's been a while I have not seen you active...do you know there is a possible cure for Diabetic Type 1?.....

Take it easy with PG...try out Vg but check on your Fasting Glucose level and post prandrial levels as well....PM me if you need help, bro..I handled a lot of Diabetics cases here....

sorry my friend, your response slipped right past me.... i mistyped, i am Type 2... it came on after i got a cushy university job and started getting fat... i have been well controlled A1C<6.5 for more than 2 years now. thanks for your concern!

While looking for any and every test on glycerine, I found this, which should reassure diabetics further:

G L Y C E R I N
(also known as Glycerine, and Glycerol)
By Dr George Samra
An extract from Dr George Samra (2002),THE HYPOGLYCEMIC CONNECTION II, One Stop Allergies, Sydney. Australia Page 251.

"When given orally, glycerin is readily absorbed. It may be employed as a sweetening agent or vehicle in place of syrups. It may be used in diabetes and in Hypoglycemia Disease as a sweetener because its absorption and metabolism bypass the pancreas and insulin secretion. In this way it is able to act as a useful energy source in these diseases."

Route of entry should not alter this finding.

Thank you Robert-- this takes any reluctance i may have had off the table.

cheers!

Last edited:

VallyGrlOR

Feb 6, 2010
Oregon
Correct me if I am wrong someone, but isn't lactic acid the normal waste product of the muscles when they burn energy? It seems like I remember lactic acid is what makes you have cramps after extreme energy expenditure, like hard core exercise?

I have a question about PG, a little off topic but it is in relation to diabetes. I have read that PG is used to prevent Ketosis in dairy cattle. Ketosis, from what I understand is when the body burns fat VS carbohydrates. So in low carb diets, ketosis is the goal, to burn body fat.

I am a type 2 diabetic and on a modified low carb diet (taking in carbs but only from veggies and very limited fruit and dairy) I am doing it to control my blood sugar as well as to lose weight. However, if PG prevents ketosis then am I just spinning my wheels here?

I also read today that 2 tablespoons of VG contains 80 calories so if being used to sweeten food, diabetics need to take that into consideration.

I am a pretty heavy vaper, but there is no way I am vaping 2 tablespoons of anything a day much less in a short enough amount of time that it should affect my blood sugar.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

bkwendis

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2009
Indiana
I am also very curious about blood sugars with PG and VG. I have never had problems with my sugars and have had several blood tests. I started vaping last May and have had my blood tested twice with no problems. Sugar were fine. I have tried some different juices from diff vendors and never really paid attention to VG/PG levels. I had a blood test done a few weeks ago. Fasting. Dr called stating I am a diabetic?? Out of the blue! I do not eat sugar. I am a low carb eater and constantly watch what I eat. I look back at some of the juice I have smoked between the blood test of normal to diabetic. There is VG percent to all VG in all of them. Normally I use Dekang and think that is all PG? I am hoping this is the case. I will switch back to PG only and have my sugars tested in a few months. I also have nodules on my lungs. Dr says they are probably nothing. PET shows no CA but I am due for another CT in May, Yearly thing. I am very curious to see how it comes out since I will have also been vaping for a year by then.

VallyGrlOR

Feb 6, 2010
Oregon
Well, I did find out that VG has 88 carbs per teaspoon (when consumed orally) I am a pretty heavy vaper and I doubt I vape a teaspoonfull a day. The FDA recommended allotment of carbs per person per meal is 50ish and I believe the American Diabetic Association recommends 45 or less per meal. On my current diet, because I am not on medication I try to keep it under 50 a day.

I am not under a doctor's care at this time, so no A1C levels available pre- vaping or currently. But I just tested (ate about 1/2 cup of pistachios 2 hours ago) and my blood sugar is 106, which is pretty low for post prandial. I have been up for about 6 hours vaping right along with both PG and PG/VG mixed juice.

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes 4 years ago, and it has been well maintained with Glucophage/Metformin for all of that time. My A1C for the past 9 months has been completely normal, and I'm due for my next 3 month test in May. (I'm down to 250mg of Glucophage/Metformin 1x per day) I'm curious to see if vaping will affect my A1C results. I've been vaping about a month. When I get my results at the end of May, I'll post if there is any change.

This subject has me very curious!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread