The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Diacetyl in butterscotch and caramel

Discussion in 'Clouds of Vapor' started by J**2, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. J**2

J**2 Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 14, 2012
    Medical Lake, WA, USA
    Hi guys and gals,

I recently contacted Natures Flavors about a disturbing rumor I heard mainly that their buttery or caramel or creamy flavors contain diacetyl.

Natures flavors confirms my suspicion. Their flavors that are buttery or caramel or creamy DO contain diacetyl.

Inhalation of diacetyl may cause serious irreversible lung damage.

While I have no direct evidence Cloudpure products have Natures Flavors in them and would never make an unsubstantiated claim as such several DIY people have suggested to me this is the case.

If COV products have NF flavors I would have a concern. I wrote Bruce but have received no reply.

Anyone know any more info.

Thx

Jeff

GG, Provari, iatty2, DIY wannabe chef

2. Bigbuyer

Bigbuyer Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Sep 5, 2009
    Florida, USA
    My thanks to Jeff. I am working with my flavor company to find out if there is any diacetyl and if there is any risks.
    My Organic Juices are made to be pure and free of chemicals. That is my main concern here.

3. J**2

Feb 14, 2012
    Medical Lake, WA, USA
    Awesome Bruce. Thanks.

4. Bigbuyer

Sep 5, 2009
    Florida, USA
    Just to be sure and to show how serious I am about heath and vaping....
    I have removed, Butterscotch, Vanilla Cream, Caramel Cream, Caramel Corn, Bananas Fosters, Kona Cream and Vanilla until I know for sure.
    As I said, my whole concept of organic and healthy vaping means everything to me.

5. Rowdy

Rowdy Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 27, 2010
    Georgia
    Noooooooo! not Butterscotch!!. It's not fair, I just found this flavor...

Rowdy

6. happ

happ Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    MN
    Bummer just finished the last of my butterscotch and to hear this bums me out. I was also thinking about diying some and natures flavors was what I found and I guess I have to cross them of also. Please keep us posted Bruce.

7. Bigbuyer

Sep 5, 2009
    Florida, USA
    Will do. The flavors may need to be reformulated. Whatever it takes, I will do it as long as its safe for all of us to vape.

8. MrWarspite

MrWarspite Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 20, 2012
    North Carolina
    I just got in vanilla cream and botterscotch...should i toss them bruce?

I think its a standout thing your doing here, not often a buisiness chooses transparency and customer safety first.

9. Snus

Snus Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 16, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Irreversible lung damage???? OMG! The creams are my favorite flavors....

10. Leothwyn

Leothwyn Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 7, 2011
    N. California
    I'm not saying that people should just go ahead and inhale diacetyl freely, but to add some perspective... It's my understanding that the lung damage came from people in a factory inhaling large amounts of the stuff all day long, day after day. NF said that there are trace amounts of it (naturally occurring) in some flavors.

11. J**2

Feb 14, 2012
    Medical Lake, WA, USA
    When I called NF they said that it was in all their flavors. I think Bruce is a hell of a guy and a very responsible businessmen.

The problem with diacetyl is that it can cause really serious lung damage which is potentially irreversible. Don't take my word for it Check out some of the threads here on the board. There is one alleged case of a guy who was damaged from eating microwave popcorn for 15+ years.

This really sucks since I LOVE butterscotch. There is also info on the Tpa site.

Again Bruce is topnotch and a heck of a guy.

12. J**2

Feb 14, 2012
    Medical Lake, WA, USA
    When I said all their flavors I ment to say all buttery, creamy, and caramel flavors.

13. J**2

Feb 14, 2012
    Medical Lake, WA, USA
  14. J**2

Feb 14, 2012
    Medical Lake, WA, USA
  15. billyapd21

billyapd21 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 26, 2011
    New York
    Wow, this is really scary stuff.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

16. MrWarspite

MrWarspite Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 20, 2012
    North Carolina
    after reading a bunch of the osha articles it seems like this stuff is in just about everything. Its generally considered safe if ingested. The problem is inhalation of it in vaporized form...which is, of course, exactly what we, the vaping community, is doing all day.

Popcorn workers are exposed to 3ppm of diacetyl at all times according to the epa study.
    The guy who got the lung disease from popping heavy buttered microwave popcorn was exposed to the same levels but only directly after popping the popcorn in his kitchen. Keep in mind, every persons lung resistance to polution/chemicals and ability to repair from exposure is going to vary greatly.

So the real question is, in the case of eliquid with diacetyl based flavoring, what is ppm of diacetyl in the vapor we are inhaling and exhaling(important to those around you). Sadly, we wont know the answer to that unless we as a community fund an independent test. I dont even know where to begin to get that done.

The replacement's for diacetyl are more dangerous than the diacetyl itself.

Almost every one of my favorite juices has at least one of these flavorings. Lovely.

17. Bigbuyer

Sep 5, 2009
    Florida, USA
    Working now with the chemists and our objective is a safe diacetyl free vape.
    As I stated before. I want my juice to be safe since we gave up our unsafe addiction!

18. Digital-Dragon

Digital-Dragon Super Member ECF Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Thanks for continuing to talk about this j**2!

Awesome attitude bigbuyer. I've always enjoyed shopping with you (though my wallet hasn't...) Great to know that you are really trying to be as safe as possible.

On that note, is thier a list of the "safest" juice and diy flavoring companies? Like do we know if cap/tpa/fa contain any diacetyl, or other stuff to avoid?

I loved nature's flavors, oh well...

19. Leothwyn

Leothwyn Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 7, 2011
    N. California
    On TPA's site they give a warning when I flavor has it (or one of the similar chemicals). Not sure about the others.

20. J**2

Feb 14, 2012
    Medical Lake, WA, USA
    I think Bruce is one of the most honest and sincere guys out there.

I now only need one more piece to complete a GGTS.

We should all spend the money we would have spent on the pulled juice and buy a GGTS

Jeff. Vape on safely

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.