Diacetyl in butterscotch and caramel

Status
Not open for further replies.

J**2

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Medical Lake, WA, USA
Hi guys and gals,

I recently contacted Natures Flavors about a disturbing rumor I heard mainly that their buttery or caramel or creamy flavors contain diacetyl.

Natures flavors confirms my suspicion. Their flavors that are buttery or caramel or creamy DO contain diacetyl.

Inhalation of diacetyl may cause serious irreversible lung damage.

While I have no direct evidence Cloudpure products have Natures Flavors in them and would never make an unsubstantiated claim as such several DIY people have suggested to me this is the case.

If COV products have NF flavors I would have a concern. I wrote Bruce but have received no reply.

Anyone know any more info.

Thx

Jeff

GG, Provari, iatty2, DIY wannabe chef

Bigbuyer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
Florida, USA
Just to be sure and to show how serious I am about heath and vaping....
I have removed, Butterscotch, Vanilla Cream, Caramel Cream, Caramel Corn, Bananas Fosters, Kona Cream and Vanilla until I know for sure.
As I said, my whole concept of organic and healthy vaping means everything to me.

Last edited:

Snus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2012
Massachusetts
Just to be sure and to show how serious I am about heath and vaping....
I have removed, Butterscotch, Vanilla Cream, Caramel Cream, Caramel Corn, Bananas Fosters, Kona Cream and Vanilla until I know for sure.
As I said, my whole concept of organic and healthy vaping means everything to me.

Irreversible lung damage???? OMG! The creams are my favorite flavors....

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
N. California
www.ci-studios.com
I'm not saying that people should just go ahead and inhale diacetyl freely, but to add some perspective... It's my understanding that the lung damage came from people in a factory inhaling large amounts of the stuff all day long, day after day. NF said that there are trace amounts of it (naturally occurring) in some flavors.

J**2

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Medical Lake, WA, USA
When I called NF they said that it was in all their flavors. I think Bruce is a hell of a guy and a very responsible businessmen.

The problem with diacetyl is that it can cause really serious lung damage which is potentially irreversible. Don't take my word for it Check out some of the threads here on the board. There is one alleged case of a guy who was damaged from eating microwave popcorn for 15+ years.

This really sucks since I LOVE butterscotch. There is also info on the Tpa site.

Again Bruce is topnotch and a heck of a guy.

GG, Provari, iatty2, DIY wannabe chef

J**2

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Medical Lake, WA, USA

MrWarspite

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
North Carolina
after reading a bunch of the osha articles it seems like this stuff is in just about everything. Its generally considered safe if ingested. The problem is inhalation of it in vaporized form...which is, of course, exactly what we, the vaping community, is doing all day.

Popcorn workers are exposed to 3ppm of diacetyl at all times according to the epa study.
The guy who got the lung disease from popping heavy buttered microwave popcorn was exposed to the same levels but only directly after popping the popcorn in his kitchen. Keep in mind, every persons lung resistance to polution/chemicals and ability to repair from exposure is going to vary greatly.

So the real question is, in the case of eliquid with diacetyl based flavoring, what is ppm of diacetyl in the vapor we are inhaling and exhaling(important to those around you). Sadly, we wont know the answer to that unless we as a community fund an independent test. I dont even know where to begin to get that done.

The replacement's for diacetyl are more dangerous than the diacetyl itself.

Almost every one of my favorite juices has at least one of these flavorings. Lovely.

Digital-Dragon

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Thanks for continuing to talk about this j**2!

Awesome attitude bigbuyer. I've always enjoyed shopping with you (though my wallet hasn't...) Great to know that you are really trying to be as safe as possible.

On that note, is thier a list of the "safest" juice and diy flavoring companies? Like do we know if cap/tpa/fa contain any diacetyl, or other stuff to avoid?

I loved nature's flavors, oh well...

Last edited:

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
N. California
www.ci-studios.com
On TPA's site they give a warning when I flavor has it (or one of the similar chemicals). Not sure about the others.

Thanks for continuing to talk this j**2!

Awesome attitude bigbuyer. I've always enjoyed shopping with you (though my wallet hasn't...) Great to know that you are really trying to be as safe as possible.

On that note, is thier a list of the "safest" juice and diy flavoring companies? Like do we know if cap/tpa/fa contain any diacetyl, or other stuff to avoid?

I loved nature's flavors, oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread