The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Diacetyl in butterscotch and caramel

Discussion in 'Clouds of Vapor' started by J**2, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. hairball

hairball ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 17, 2010
    Other Places
    That's what I understand also. If you go to the health section on ECF, there are a few threads on it. No, I'm sure no one wants anything dangerous in our liquids but at the same time, I would think we would have to vape a ton for it to have an effect on our lungs.

2. Ember

Ember Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 29, 2011
    Tyler, TX
    ::sigh:: I'll miss you, Vanilla Cream. You were my only all day vape ever...
    Back to the drawing board.
    <3
    E.

3. Bigbuyer

Bigbuyer Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Sep 5, 2009
    Florida, USA
    All juices are back with the following information:

***This product contains a very small percentage of.diacetyl. A flavor molecule is found in buttery flavors***

Chemists tell me that is a trace amount. I am informing my customers and you can made an educated choice.

Side note:
    I am trying to get the juices reformulated and will work to this end.
    Also, I have been vaping Butterscotch and Vanilla Cream daily for 2 years. So, I am right there with you.

4. ukeman

ukeman PV Masher Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 22, 2010
    Kauai, Hawaii
    OVer a year ago my favorite all day vape was Kona Coffee, from, you guessed it, COV.
    Lately I've been getting a bit of Caramel Cream from Vaperite, which I believe, was (was) Bruce's supplier. I assume Vaperite uses diacetyl too as they are virtually the same imo...
    I have some Butterscotch and some Caramel Cream from Vaperite, and I am over it. I can only say that easily because Snickerdoodle is my all day vape now for a year.
    If I were to learn that there is Diacetyl in SD, I would be broken.... that would be big.
    I'll have to talk to those vendors who make mine, but I know I'd vape most of what i have now... about 90ml.

5. ukeman

Supporting member
    Aug 22, 2010
    Kauai, Hawaii
    I hope other vendors will follow your lead Bruce, but til then, you da man.

6. J**2

J**2 Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 14, 2012
    Medical Lake, WA, USA
    Kudos for you Bruce. At least you are working on this and up front on the issue. Hopefully the government will help you reformulate since there is some effort to ban it and remove GRAS designation.

GG, Provari, iatty2, DIY wannabe chef

7. Ember

Ember Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 29, 2011
    Tyler, TX
    Yay! Education is good. Now I can choose - and I choose to go reorder the VC next week as I planned, but perhaps diversify a bit more than I have been... I've literally ONLY been using the creamy goodness. It's been nice not to carry four bottles and chase the other sixteen around the house/car. Everything else has been living in a box.
    Thanks for carin' Bruce! I know when you reformulate, it'll be just as fantastic.
    <3
    E.

8. CanuckVapour16

CanuckVapour16 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2012
    Canada
    Being really new to the vaping world it makes me really happy that there are people like Bruce out there. You are a leader in the community sir and I hope others follow your lead. Great outlook and great job at keep the community updated. Thank you.

9. Digital-Dragon

Digital-Dragon Super Member ECF Veteran

May 12, 2011
    What are these "replacements," and what e-liquids/flavorings are they in?

10. Gloria

Gloria Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 2, 2011
    midwest
    Transparency is good! Kudos to Bruce!!!

It doesn't appear to be known yet what amount of diacetyl can cause harm to lungs. If anybody finds that info please post it?

Do some research folks. The disease caused by inhalation of diacetyl is not curable and is debilitating. At least be aware of the risk.

Popcorn Lung Disease FAQ | Frequently Asked Questions

11. ukeman

Supporting member
    Aug 22, 2010
    Kauai, Hawaii
    Does anyone know if there is D in Snickerdoodle?
    SD is a pretty unique recipe. To get it right, vendors have to "know" what's what (have the right ingredients) ... not all juice vendors carry it on their menu.

i do know there's no cinnamon oil in SD, they use a cin. water based flavor.

12. Rowdy

Rowdy Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 27, 2010
    Georgia
    Bruce, thanks for being upfront and honest about the presence of diacetyl in some of the Cloud Pure juices. It says a lot that you addressed the issue head on, with out hesitation, or any kind of meaningless rhetoric. I really appreciate that in the end you decided to inform me (the customer) about the contents of the product. This allowed me (the customer) to the make an informed decision about what I'm vaping. Just my $ 0.02, but I'm Fed-up (intentional Pun) with other people continuously deciding what's best for me.

Rowdy :vapor:

13. Digital-Dragon

May 12, 2011
  14. ukeman

Supporting member
    Aug 22, 2010
    Kauai, Hawaii
    good points, i like to be discriminating about my juices, it's the least i can do being 62 yrs old, and with kids and a grandkid + all that.
    Aside from health concerns, I am getting rid of all my juices that are or turn dark to save my attys.

15. Bigbuyer

Sep 5, 2009
    Florida, USA
    Chemists tell me there is less than 1/4 of 1% in a bottle of juice.

16. Leothwyn

Leothwyn Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 7, 2011
    N. California
    I know you said 'in a bottle of juice'... but, do you mean in the juice that comes from you, or in the flavor concentrate before you mix the recipe?

17. Teach

Teach Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 3, 2010
    Florida
    Thank you for being open and honest on this issue. You are, no doubt, an extraordinary person and a leader amongst your peers. To put your customer’s safety ahead of your own bottom-line speaks loudly and well of you. COV Butterscotch is the first (and only) commercial juice I’ve ever found that has become my primary juice – it has been my all day-every day vape since July of last year. ¼ of 1% doesn’t sound like much, but until we have some more definitive numbers, you have provided us with both information and the ability to choose.

I was in the hospital when this tread started and now find myself catching up. I had open heart surgery last week to replace an aortic valve – it was a congenital defect and, as with any open heart procedure, there was a great deal of scrutiny given to the lungs. Switching over to the heart/lung machine and back again gave the doctors no concern and being a nonsmoker aided in recovery. I did not vape for 2 or 3 days after the procedure – just a common sense decision. I still do multiple spirometer tests and exercises every day and lung capacity is well above the expected. This doesn’t prove for or against the diacetyl in juices, but does show how one decision you make as a vendor can effect a customer’s life.

Bruce, I thank you once again for giving us the information and for letting us make the decision based on our own situation.

Teach

18. Digital-Dragon

May 12, 2011
    Good question...?

19. Bigbuyer

Sep 5, 2009
    Florida, USA
    That is 1/4 of 1% in a 10ml bottle of juice. So the flavor is already diluted.

20. Teach

Teach Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 3, 2010
    Florida
    So that would be 0.0025 p/ml (?)... I should have paid attention in math. I'll ask my daughter when she gets home - she's smart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.