Diary of a noob buying my 1st e-cig

Status
Not open for further replies.

jghunter1

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Denver, N.C.
Hello all noobs! I hope documenting my experience might be helpful for others trying to navigate the wide world of vaping.

First, a little about me: I've been smoking regularly for about 21 years now and have tried many methods of quitting-the patch, gum, cold turkey, chantix, stepping down methods, switching to cigars, etc. The only thing that ever got me off cigarettes for more that a week was a really bad case of bronchitis (sick for 3 weeks, quit for 3 months then started again gradually). Whenever I try to quit I have major anxiety issues. I get panic attacks, cry constantly, and am generally a wreck. I can deal with the cravings but not the panic and anxiety. I talked to my doctor about trying wellbutrin or other meds. He didn't think they'd work for me but suggested I take Xanax (which I currently take for sleep issues) to help quit. BUT he recommended I take up to 1mg every 6 hours!!! It's hard to function normally on that dose, and with my addictive personality I'm afraid I'll get hooked on the Xanax.
Sooo, I'm buying a Joye 510. I did a lot of research on the forum and I think it will be the best choice for me. I got a manual type battery and I'm a little worried that having to press a button will be weird but I think it also gives more control. I ordered 1 starter kit (with 2 complete "personal vaporizors", a PCC (for charging batteries on the go) and a car adapter for the PCC (I REALLY don't want to run out of charged batteries). Since I currently smoke Marlboro lights I also ordered 30 ml of "Marvelous marbelo smoke juice". Here's what I spent:

PRO 1 Joyetech 510 (Manual Batteries)-MarbeloPRO 1 JOYE 510 Electronic Cigarette Starter Kit1(49.95)Cartridge Flavor: Marbelo HighPRO Charger BlackPortable PRO Best E-Cig Charger Case1 (23.95)Marvelous Marbelo-24mgMarvelous Marbelo Smoke Juice / E-Liquid (Large 30ml Bottle)1(15.95)Nicotine Strength: 24mg Extra High

Shipping and Handling:0.00Order Total:89.85

I think I did pretty good on cost but maybe others know of better prices out there?

So I'm looking forward to getting my Joye 510!

However, I do have some concerns. I'm pretty sure I ordured juice that's too high in nicotine. I smoke about 1 1/2 packs a day of lights and, since reading more on the forum and elsewhere I think I should have gotten juice with about half the nicotine of what I actually got. I'm gonna be jacked!!!!! I guess I'll have to order some very low or zero juice to mix with what I've already ordered.
I'm really excited about recieving my Joye 510 but I'm not sure I picked the right seller. I looked at A LOT of websites and finally settled on VaporPro because they are located in in eastern U.S. (as am I) and they had BOTH the Joye 510 starter kit AND PCCs currently in stock. Plus the price for the starter kit seemed to be lower than most in the U.S. AND shipping was free since my order was over $80. But I'm a little apprehensive right now about getting my order. I ordered late Tues. Nov. 10 The seller e-mailed me on Nov. 11 saying my order had shipped, but according to USPS they just recieved notification on Nov. 12th that my order was READY to be shipped. To me that means it hasn't been shipped yet and probably won't go out till tomorrow at the earliest. This makes me very unhappy!

That's all for now! I welcome comments and advice. I will update this post when I recieve my order (or earlier).

DinosaurVapor

Moved On
Nov 11, 2009
Spokane, WA
Hello all noobs! I hope documenting my experience might be helpful for others trying to navigate the wide world of vaping.

First, a little about me: I've been smoking regularly for about 21 years now and have tried many methods of quitting-the patch, gum, cold turkey, chantix, stepping down methods, switching to cigars, etc. The only thing that ever got me off cigarettes for more that a week was a really bad case of bronchitis (sick for 3 weeks, quit for 3 months then started again gradually). Whenever I try to quit I have major anxiety issues. I get panic attacks, cry constantly, and am generally a wreck. I can deal with the cravings but not the panic and anxiety. I talked to my doctor about trying wellbutrin or other meds. He didn't think they'd work for me but suggested I take Xanax (which I currently take for sleep issues) to help quit. BUT he recommended I take up to 1mg every 6 hours!!! It's hard to function normally on that dose, and with my addictive personality I'm afraid I'll get hooked on the Xanax.
Sooo, I'm buying a Joye 510. I did a lot of research on the forum and I think it will be the best choice for me. I got a manual type battery and I'm a little worried that having to press a button will be weird but I think it also gives more control. I ordered 1 starter kit (with 2 complete "personal vaporizors", a PCC (for charging batteries on the go) and a car adapter for the PCC (I REALLY don't want to run out of charged batteries). Since I currently smoke Marlboro lights I also ordered 30 ml of "Marvelous marbelo smoke juice". Here's what I spent:

PRO 1 Joyetech 510 (Manual Batteries)-MarbeloPRO 1 JOYE 510 Electronic Cigarette Starter Kit1(49.95)Cartridge Flavor: Marbelo HighPRO Charger BlackPortable PRO Best E-Cig Charger Case1 (23.95)Marvelous Marbelo-24mgMarvelous Marbelo Smoke Juice / E-Liquid (Large 30ml Bottle)1(15.95)Nicotine Strength: 24mg Extra High

I think I did pretty good on cost but maybe others know of better prices out there?

However, I do have some concerns. I'm pretty sure I ordured juice that's too high in nicotine. I smoke about 1 1/2 packs a day of lights and, since reading more on the forum and elsewhere I think I should have gotten juice with about half the nicotine of what I actually got. I'm gonna be jacked!!!!! I guess I'll have to order some very low or zero juice to mix with what I've already ordered.
I'm really excited about recieving my Joye 510 but I'm not sure I picked the right seller. I looked at A LOT of websites and finally settled on VaporPro because they are located in in eastern U.S. (as am I) and they had BOTH the Joye 510 starter kit AND PCCs currently in stock. Plus the price for the starter kit seemed to be lower than most in the U.S. AND shipping was free since my order was over $80. But I'm a little apprehensive right now about getting my order. I ordered late Tues. Nov. 10 The seller e-mailed me on Nov. 11 saying my order had shipped, but according to USPS they just recieved notification on Nov. 12th that my order was READY to be shipped. To me that means it hasn't been shipped yet and probably won't go out till tomorrow at the earliest. This makes me very unhappy!

That's all for now! I welcome comments and advice. I will update this post when I recieve my order (or earlier).

Thanks for that post!!!!!

DinosaurVapor

Moved On
Nov 11, 2009
Spokane, WA

I actually dont think itll be that bad. I smoked Camel lights 99's and i have 16-18 mg and its actually not enough

jghunter1

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Denver, N.C.
I actually dont think itll be that bad. I smoked Camel lights 99's and i have 16-18 mg and its actually not enough

Thanks for the quick replies!!! I'm reassured by dinasaurusrex's comment. Hope you are right! And thanks also to DVS:

I would recommend you try some of the ejuice starter samples till you find a juice that suits your needs

I do plan to try a variety of samples. I'm most interested in tobacco flavors right now. I've been searching the forum for the best recommendations.

KermieD

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2009
Oshkosh, WI
JG, your experience is very similar to my own, except I am (was) about a pack a day non-filter smoker. I'm now about 52 hours into being just about completely cigarette free. Here are a couple of thoughts:

1. Careful when you get it. Just by playing, you're going to give yourself one hell of a nicotine buzz. You may wish to wait until a Friday night if you work early in the morning. I promise you will not sleep well that first night. ;)

2. When you're first quitting, think of it like you did the gum or whatever. If you get a craving, take a drag. It will be sooo much better than when you popped a piece of gum in your mouth.

3. You think you're most interested in tobacco flavors. When you go with your sample packs, at least grab a sample of a fruit flavor, a candy flavor (chocolate, caramel, etc) and a booze flavor. I bought bottles of 2 tobacco flavors and after getting a wonderful gift from Angjen from the forums here of a couple of samples that were too strong for her (some strawberry from nHaler, RY4 from nHaler and Chocolate Cram from Cignot), I am looking to place an order for some flavors at lower strengths for fun and holding the tobacco ones for when I get hard cravings.

4. I'm 50 hours analog free right now. I took a puff off a friend's analog at lunch today out of curiosity and realized that is NOT what I wanted.

Travis798

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Oklahoma
Good deal. I think you will like it. I just got my 510 yesterday and so far I am loving it. I wouldn't worry too much about the strength of the juice. Different people seem to absorb nicotine in different ways. I smoke about 2 packs or a little over a day of camel/pall mall lights, right now vaping about 3ml of 36mg liquid a day along with 5-6 analogs and have no symptoms of too much nicotine at all.

JG- Our stories are almost identical. I also was 1 ½ pack a day for 15 yrs. I went with the 510 and truly believe it saved my life. It takes some patience and maintenance but no more than getting up at 6am to drive to the store to buy more analogs. I don't think you ordered too strong Nic. Most need that high or higher to actually quit without falling back on analogs.
I was so excited about mine that I quit on day 1 and never looked back. I started with the Marlboro also and quickly began exploring with better flavors. It won’t be long be long before you start to think …. “Wow, I could be vaping cappuccino or pina colada, or whatever your favorite flavor is.”

*** Caution - The 1st few days are still hard! I tell everyone I know that I’ve tried everything in the world to quit and with e-cigs, my cravings were at 2 out of 10. The first two days of vaping, I was dizzy from all of the nicotine (24ml) just trying to kill the cravings for cigs. Don’t worry if you still need a couple analogs in the first few weeks. This is a learning curve and will take some time. Eventually you will prefer the flavors and hit from your PV more than you did with any cigarette.

Last edited:

jghunter1

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Denver, N.C.
Diary update-Sunday
Thought I'd be updating sooner but power was out yesterday!
I got my Joye 510 Sat. afternoon. I was sooo excited and ready to start vaping. I read the instructions, and discovered I would NOT be vaping right away because you have to charge the d*#n thing for 8 hours the first time!!!! That is not info I had run across in the forum so I was extremely bummed. Put in on the charger, went to work, came home and the power went out! Finally got to try it out today (Sunday).
First Impressions:
PROS
I love the look of the Joye 510-I got the all black one with blue LED (I prefer something that NOT look like an analog since I'd like to use it in restaurants etc)
I REALLY like the way it feels -maybe that sounds dumb but it's a good thing for me since that's part of the appeal of analogs for me.
Produces a nice amount of vapor.
Using a button is not as weird as I expected-got used to it right away.
I don't thing 24mg nic was too high for me after all. Actually got a bit of a buzz at first while trying to figure out how to use it/inhale. I guess I thought I needed to use it differently than an analog but settled on pretty much using it exactly the same. Since my battery is manual a "primer puff" seems unneccessary.
Best advantage: watched a movie while snuggling next to my husband on the couch tonight. I was occaisionally vaping. (He told me earlier to go ahead and use it in the house and he'd let me know if he minded it.) Well, I'm sitting RIGHT next to him vaping and he looks over at me so I asked if it was bothering him and he says "No, I didn't even realize you were doing it." How awesome is that!
CONS

THE FLAVOR SUCKS!!!!!!!
I got my cartridges prefilled with "marlboro" juice and also a bottle of the same from Vapor pro. I don't like it. In fact, after using it all day I'm beginning to really hate it. It seems weak and has an unpleasant sweet taste and reminds me of some horrible "smokeless" analogs a tried a while back (they "warmed" the tobacco rather than burning it.)
Is all "marlboro" juice the same or does it taste different from different suppliers? Are there any good tobacco flavors out there with NO sweet flavor?
I guess I'll be search the forum tonight to find out!

Other than the taste I really like the Joye, BUT I was not able to go analog free today. I AM smoking much less than I usally would though so I think if I could find the right flavor I could switch over completely. I'm going to order a variety pack of tobbacco flavors-probably from myfreedom or esmoker and I'm going to go ahead and get at least one sample of a non-tobacco flavor (I was planning to wait but now I'm willing to try anything). I think I might try sour apple (a flavor I love in candy) or maybe redhots (it might give a bit of "sting" in the back of the throat and on the tongue that seems to be lacking. I wonder if there is something like a black pepper flavor? Adding something like that to the juice I've got might add a little kick and detract from the nasty sweet taste. I KNOW I'm not going to get anything that tastes just like my "analog lights" but I sure would like to try to come close.

Overall I'm slightly discouraged. I REALLY wanted to be one of you lucky people who got their PV, tried it, loved it, and never wanted another analog again. I'm not giving up though. The Joye really is great, it provides everything an analog provides as far as how it feels to use- I JUST NEED A BETTER FLAVOR!

Travis798

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Oklahoma
Diary update-Sunday
Thought I'd be updating sooner but power was out yesterday!
I got my Joye 510 Sat. afternoon. I was sooo excited and ready to start vaping. I read the instructions, and discovered I would NOT be vaping right away because you have to charge the d*#n thing for 8 hours the first time!!!! That is not info I had run across in the forum so I was extremely bummed. Put in on the charger, went to work, came home and the power went out! Finally got to try it out today (Sunday).
First Impressions:
PROS
I love the look of the Joye 510-I got the all black one with blue LED (I prefer something that NOT look like an analog since I'd like to use it in restaurants etc)
I REALLY like the way it feels -maybe that sounds dumb but it's a good thing for me since that's part of the appeal of analogs for me.
Produces a nice amount of vapor.
Using a button is not as weird as I expected-got used to it right away.
I don't thing 24mg nic was too high for me after all. Actually got a bit of a buzz at first while trying to figure out how to use it/inhale. I guess I thought I needed to use it differently than an analog but settled on pretty much using it exactly the same. Since my battery is manual a "primer puff" seems unneccessary.
Best advantage: watched a movie while snuggling next to my husband on the couch tonight. I was occaisionally vaping. (He told me earlier to go ahead and use it in the house and he'd let me know if he minded it.) Well, I'm sitting RIGHT next to him vaping and he looks over at me so I asked if it was bothering him and he says "No, I didn't even realize you were doing it." How awesome is that!
CONS

THE FLAVOR SUCKS!!!!!!!
I got my cartridges prefilled with "marlboro" juice and also a bottle of the same from Vapor pro. I don't like it. In fact, after using it all day I'm beginning to really hate it. It seems weak and has an unpleasant sweet taste and reminds me of some horrible "smokeless" analogs a tried a while back (they "warmed" the tobacco rather than burning it.)
Is all "marlboro" juice the same or does it taste different from different suppliers? Are there any good tobacco flavors out there with NO sweet flavor?
I guess I'll be search the forum tonight to find out!

Other than the taste I really like the Joye, BUT I was not able to go analog free today. I AM smoking much less than I usally would though so I think if I could find the right flavor I could switch over completely. I'm going to order a variety pack of tobbacco flavors-probably from myfreedom or esmoker and I'm going to go ahead and get at least one sample of a non-tobacco flavor (I was planning to wait but now I'm willing to try anything). I think I might try sour apple (a flavor I love in candy) or maybe redhots (it might give a bit of "sting" in the back of the throat and on the tongue that seems to be lacking. I wonder if there is something like a black pepper flavor? Adding something like that to the juice I've got might add a little kick and detract from the nasty sweet taste. I KNOW I'm not going to get anything that tastes just like my "analog lights" but I sure would like to try to come close.

Overall I'm slightly discouraged. I REALLY wanted to be one of you lucky people who got their PV, tried it, loved it, and never wanted another analog again. I'm not giving up though. The Joye really is great, it provides everything an analog provides as far as how it feels to use- I JUST NEED A BETTER FLAVOR!

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the old 8 hour thing is just left over from previous battery types. Lithium Ion batteries do NOT need a primer charge. It's been touched on here a bit. The DO need an initial charge since they only come partially charged, but that takes hardly any time at all.

As far as the flavor, I believe there are different marlboro flavors depending on who makes the juice, but I can't be any help there because I really like the flavor of mine, and it does have just a very slight hint of "sweet" to it. I can say that I did not notice any hint of "sweet" in the Pall Mall juice I had a couple of carts pre filled with.

There's no need to get discouraged, smoke all the analogs you want for now. I'll bet your not going to smoke as many as you were, and that number will probably dwindle. I've been smoking about 5 a day still, but have only had about 2 drags today from one. This "vaping" really grows quick on you!

Robertogee

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
Every story's different. Mine? 2-3 pack a day smoker, 40+ years. 100mm Full Flavor. LOVE smoking!

I haven't had (nor wanted) an analog since the day I got my V4L kit 11 days ago.

Key? Somebody showed me one and invited me to try it. I'd read about e-cigarettes. Thought, "another gimmick."

One puff. One vape. Came home -- read everything I could -- including this forum (GREAT INFO!).

Placed my order. Received a call from Steve at V4L next day, asking what I smoked and how much a day. He decided what to send me in the kit, based on that.

I really had no intention of quitting. Just thought I'd try e-cigs to see if they'd help me cut back.

From the minute they arrived I've smoked nothing else.

Friends say they're "proud" of me. I don't know why. It's been no effort at all. I get EVERYTHING from e-cigs I got from analogs.

EXCEPT tars and 4000 carcinogens in harsh smoke.

First night? Went to bed . . . and DIDN'T hear the lung rattles!

That's just the first night!

No more "out of breath" taking the trash out. Full daily nicotine and vaping satisfaction.

NO withdrawal symptoms!

Cost? Everybody asks.

I've been buying my smokes from a Palm Springs Indian reservation for $2.20 a pack.

I'm a 2-3 pack a day smoker. $5 a day, or more.

E-cigs? Refilling carts, it's about $0.87 a day for the same satisfaction.

I've already reduced the nicotine concentration in my cart / liquid reorder. AFTER ONLY 11 DAYS!

No side effects, no nothing. Far as I'm concerned, I'm still a happy smoker only I can breathe again.

For me, the e-cig experience has (so far) been as simple as changing brands of analogs -- without the adverse effects.

Amazing!

Last edited:

jghunter1

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Denver, N.C.
Well, I ordered a 10 flavor sample pack last night ($10 from BESTECIGGY.com plus an extra $5 to ship since that's all I ordered) It shipped today so I will hopefully find a flavor I like soon. I got a bunch of tobacco flavors plus menthol, rootbeer and cherry. Hope it arrives soon! I'sd welcome any advice on the best way to try new flavors. Should I just drip a drop or two directly on the atomizer or use a cleaned cartridge for eac new flavor? PM me or post here if you want to give me your opinion on this.
I'm still using my marlboro cartridges/juice even though I don't like it much. I'm certainly not off analogs but so far have only smoked 5 so far today (=1/2 to 1/3 as much as usual since I usually go through almost 1 1/2 packs a day).
I've been feeling a bit light headed/jittery today. I've heard this is pretty common and most likely means I'm gettin too much nicotine. It probably didn't help that I skipped breakfast and lunch today (was running errands and didn't feel like I had time to stop) so I probably would have felt that way regardless!
One interesting thing that happened today: did a demo of my Joye 510 in front of several doctors! I go once a week for allergy shots and showed my PV to the nurse who always gives me my shots (she always encourages me to quit the analogs). She told several of the doctors about it and they asked me to show it to them and demonstrate how it works. Only one of the doctors had even heard of e-cigs/PVs before, my G.P. had not heard of them but was very supportive of my trying it. All the doctors seemed pretty interested and positive about it. One doctor initially backed away from the vapor but later commented that there really is no odor or unpleasantness to it.
Speaking of odor, when I came home today I noticed a very faint (but non-offensive) odor in the house. It's definately the e-cig. Anyone else notice it leaves a slight odor? (I'm super sensitive to odors and my husband hasn't said anything so maybe it's just me.) It doesn't bother me but I wonder if it would be noticible to visitors to the house?
Overall a pretty good day since I expect to finish the day at under 1/2 pack of analogs. Tomorrow maybe I'll try for 6 or less! Can't wait to try some new (hopefully better flavors!

Beer Man

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2009
Wonder Lake, Illinois USA
does vapeing help with anxiety issues? Just curious because I have alot of them and im curious how it helps.

I find it helps in the same way analogs do. Just healthier. plus I adjust my nic levels to where i need them to be for any particular moment.

PM me with anxiety concerns.

maxxdog

ECF Veteran
Hi JG,
Your story is not unlike most of ours. I was a pack a day smoker. I got the 510 and loved it the second I tried it. Don’t worry about the analogs. Everyone is different in that regard. I went three days without trying one. It sucked “yuck”.
Then I went a week and had to try one….YUCKKK!! That one was 3 puffs and made me sick. :p
What I have found is that I need more mg strength than what is advertised. I was irritable and light headed and thought I was over nicing but it was the opposite. I need more. Puff as much as you need to. Your body will tell you when enough is enough. Your probably not absorbing as much as you think. There are some really good threads on this.
Half the fun is the experimenting. It is a fun hobby and with a lot of people to bond with here. This is a great support network. Hang in there it will work out. Trust me. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread