Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Hey all, I'm a huge DIY noob so please forgive my dumbness lol

I've had DIY supplies for a while but haven't touched them till today. I decided to cut my 100mg down to something more reasonable. I am certain about my desired nic levels, but not the ratios, so I decided using pg nic base, to cut two big bottles of 18mg in both pg and vg separately so I could play with my ratios easily when mixing small testers.

First question, is that a bad way of doing it?

Second problem, the vg mix is very cloudy still after an hour of sitting, can I expect it to clear up?

Thanks for the help!

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
The nicotine in the VG will have to be shaken a lot and every time you use it. VG can leave pockets of high strength nicotine if it's not shaken well. Nicotine mixes easier with PG and is easier to work with. The only reason to have your nicotine in a VG solution is if you need your finished eliquid to be a high VG to PG ratio.

Chinner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Thanks for the responses!

I vape mostly vg juices like bobas at the moment, so I wanted to have a base in both of and vg to play with. I also had so much damn base that I'll never get through it all, so I went big. I think I'll start around 50/50 with about 15-20% flavoring and hopefully I'll hit my target of around 16mg strength. I guess my mistake was ordering my nic in pg base and mixing it rather then just getting vg base?

Anyways, aside from its somewhat unsightly appearance, I'm happy with my efforts as long as the cloudiness is nothing that will hurt me! So now I have close to 1200ml of unflavored to play with lol, what to make first?

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
The Ejuice Me Up app is a great tool for DIY. It helps with Nic VG PG ratios and has a few recipes, will also allow you to save recipes you've created. It's a quick and easy download and is contently being updated with improvements. You can find it up top in the sticky threads. Good luck and ask questions lots of people here are willing to help.

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
SO you cut all your 100mg nic to 18mg ? If so thats not a great way to do it . Makes mixing as well as options a lot harder . I think its best to just syringe it right out of the 100ml nic into the ejuice mix your making . That leaves you options to do a lot more stuff . If anything i would have cut it down to 50mg .

Chinner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Yeah I was thinking about that, but I really don't vape anything over 18. I thought it would be easy to start there and mix down farther if needed. The idea was to have identical strengths in both pg and vg so I could do really easy mixing without having to handle the 100mg base anymore lol.

The materials only cost me $60 so this is my first experiment into DIY and once I get the hang of flavoring things I can always start again. The only thing I'm truly unhappy with is how cloudy my vg base became. I made a huge batch so I figured it would mix properly.

Has anyone else had similar issues with clarity in the liquid after adding nic base to plain vg?

minigoat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
USA
Adding to what others have already said. Maybe to late for you but for future reference

I've found it convenient to decant the bulk Nic into smaller 50ml bottles. Then keeping a working 50ml bottle of the Nic out and freezing the rest. If you get bottles with the european stoppers an 18g syringe can be used to extract exactly what you need without even opening the bottle. I've found this to be very convenient.

Regards

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
Adding to what others have already said. Maybe to late for you but for future reference

I've found it convenient to decant the bulk Nic into smaller 50ml bottles. Then keeping a working 50ml bottle of the Nic out and freezing the rest. If you get bottles with the european stoppers an 18g syringe can be used to extract exactly what you need without even opening the bottle. I've found this to be very convenient.

Regards

Thats what i do as wel . I keep blue boston bottles for the nic i use out and store the big bottles in the fridge . Makes it much easier than syringing out of a big jug of nic .

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
Yeah I was thinking about that, but I really don't vape anything over 18. I thought it would be easy to start there and mix down farther if needed. The idea was to have identical strengths in both pg and vg so I could do really easy mixing without having to handle the 100mg base anymore lol.

The materials only cost me $60 so this is my first experiment into DIY and once I get the hang of flavoring things I can always start again. The only thing I'm truly unhappy with is how cloudy my vg base became. I made a huge batch so I figured it would mix properly.

Has anyone else had similar issues with clarity in the liquid after adding nic base to plain vg?

I meant other reason too though like say you want to fix or reduce a premade juice . That only works good with high mg nic since you only want to add a minimal amount of nicbase . There are bunch of reasons like that . Not that the way you did it wont work for you ,i just think its more convenient and give you more options on how you can use it when mixing juices by syringing out of high mg nic base . Another example is like if you use a flavor that needs a extra high percentage of flavoring its going to reduce the MG by a lot if your starting with 18 . ANything added to the 18mg is gonna dilute it down .

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US

I mix all my 100 mg nic base down to 36 when I get it. It's much safer to handle that way, and it's easy to mix up 18mg batches (or whatever) from there. I also get my 100mg nic in pg base, and mix that down to 36mg with pg as well. When I'm ready to mix up a batch of 18 mg juice, I use whatever flavorings, then add vg only to finish and it and it's always cloudy to start. That's the nature of vg...it's so thick that it doesn't mix readily, thus the importance of shaking...then shaking some more! I've noticed too since it's gotten colder here in NW Oh it's even cloudier (living in an old drafty house and all). Let it sit for awhile, overnight or so after you shake it up and the cloudiness should go away for you ;)

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
I would never recommend someone use 100mg directly to make their mixes! It's too dangerous and if you get some on you you're going to get pretty sick, if you get some on a kid or pet they could die. It isn't worth the risk if you have either in your home. I've been doing DIY for 2 years and it still scares me to use 100mg and I seldom do...only to add nic to a mix where I don't want to lose the flavor. I buy my nic in 48mg and syringe it out of the bottle. I mark my plastic bottles with a dot into 4ths using a magic marker and fill to the first mark with nicotine...that gives me a final level of 12mg. I then add my VG so I'll be at 75%PG/25%VG to the second mark. I use a glass flask to measure my flavorings and dump them in the bottle and fill the remainder with PG. Recipes I've made for a long time I don't need to measure any more and just use the bottle to measure not using the flask. But I don't have complex tobacco flavors to worry about the exact measurements. Most of my dessert flavors don't have to be down to the exact drop to taste just as good and I like to keep it simple.

Anyone new to DIY please read the stickies, especially on the safe handling of nicotine. It's highly recommended you start with a lower concentration until you feel comfortable working with it. All we need is someone spilling 100mg on them and ending up in the ER or dead and the anti-vaping people would have a field day. I started at 36mg and stayed there for quite a while. Back then the experts would have been alarmed to read about newbies using 100mg and I cringe when I see it now.

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
I would never recommend someone use 100mg directly to make their mixes! It's too dangerous and if you get some on you you're going to get pretty sick, if you get some on a kid or pet they could die. It isn't worth the risk if you have either in your home. I've been doing DIY for 2 years and it still scares me to use 100mg and I seldom do...only to add nic to a mix where I don't want to lose the flavor. I buy my nic in 48mg and syringe it out of the bottle. I mark my plastic bottles with a dot into 4ths using a magic marker and fill to the first mark with nicotine...that gives me a final level of 12mg. I then add my VG so I'll be at 75%PG/25%VG to the second mark. I use a glass flask to measure my flavorings and dump them in the bottle and fill the remainder with PG. Recipes I've made for a long time I don't need to measure any more and just use the bottle to measure not using the flask. But I don't have complex tobacco flavors to worry about the exact measurements. Most of my dessert flavors don't have to be down to the exact drop to taste just as good and I like to keep it simple.

Anyone new to DIY please read the stickies, especially on the safe handling of nicotine. It's highly recommended you start with a lower concentration until you feel comfortable working with it. All we need is someone spilling 100mg on them and ending up in the ER or dead and the anti-vaping people would have a field day. I started at 36mg and stayed there for quite a while. Back then the experts would have been alarmed to read about newbies using 100mg and I cringe when I see it now.

Oh sweetie, believe me, I've read all the stickies and then some! When I work with 100mg nic (I have since started purchasing 36mg btw) I make sure
1. it's a time of day that everyone else in the house is quiet. Dogs are sleeping, husband too probably lol!
2. I've got NOTHING else going on and can relax and finish the task uninterupted!
3. My mind is clear...I'm not tired, distracted, etc
4. I lay out ALL my supplies and everything I need (including large syringes for measuring, jars, pg/vg, etc) before I touch the bottle of nic!
5. When I'm ready for the nic (again, everything else is laid out and ready) I wear gloves, eye protection, and am PAINFULLY careful about every movement I make with the stuff.

When everything is finished, everything gets rinsed well in warm water thoroughly in the sink...sealed jars of base, empty nic bottle, everything. Afterwards, If it can go in the dishwasher it goes (prob not a good idea if you have kids around!) in, anything else after rinsing is left to soak in the sink until I wash (immediately after putting everything else away). The work area is thoroughly washed even though I've never spilled a drop.

Them last but not least, I wash my hands WITH gloves on and dry before I remove them.
Everything gets put away, and supplies that were rinsed thoroughly get washed and put away.

After doing that once, I pretty much decided that unless I become DIRT poor all of the sudden, I'm just better off going with 36 mg lol! I would also suggest to anyone THINKING about mixing your own, to at least TRY the process with 36mg first! I did. Bought a 120ml bottle of 36mg nic and a couple of small bottles of pg/vg to see if it was for me before I started investing in mass quantities ;) Vendors run specials all the time, and it's a great way to dip your toe in the water. :2c:

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
I hope you didn't think I was referring to you, Patti. The way you do it is the preferred way. I was referring to the post recommending using 100mg directly in recipes and not cutting it down first.

This is the statement that made me nervous, "I think its best to just syringe it right out of the 100ml nic into the ejuice mix your making"

Last edited:

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
I hope you didn't think I was referring to you, Patti. The way you do it is the preferred way. I was referring to the post recommending using 100mg directly in recipes and not cutting it down first.

This is the statement that made me nervous, "I think its best to just syringe it right out of the 100ml nic into the ejuice mix your making"

Nah, just agreeing with you ;)

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona

Agree whole heartedly, mixing ready to vape from 100mg nic is not recomended. We are human and humans will make mistakes, a mistake with 100mg is a hugh one.

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
I say that because when i started DIY'ing and buying stuff at least 20 or more people told me thats the best way to do it as well as every post i read when searching .It was always mentioned using 100 or 60mg and mix straight into the bottle .I was shot down nuerous times asking if i should cut it . I guess since the BE think everyone is a lot more cautious about everything . I ended up going with the 60mg and it hasnt been a issue so next time i will go with 100 . If your careful theres no problem imo .You do HAVE to be careful .Youd have to do something pretty stupid to run into danger though imo .I havent spilled a single drop or got any on my hands in the times mixing and it would be pretty hard to .I would almost have to intentionally try . A good trick to never having nic base even come close to you is using long 2" needles .With 2"ers my hand doesnt even come close to the bottle then it goes straight into my juice bottle ,then into a glass of water to be washed in the sink . I use VG nic as well . I would at least recomend cutting it down to 50mg like i said too. Cutting it down to 18mg is way to far imo since anything you mix in it is just gonna make it weaker and weaker . I like to use as little nic base in my juice as possible and have options of diluting my premade juice as well . .

He asked for a opinion and thats just IMO. Im not saying whichever way is wrong just not what personally like doing.If it works for you guys and you dont have issues than thats great.

Last edited:
I always cut my nic juice, to roundabout the amount of mg I use, not all of it. Just 100ml at a time.
Use a lot of highly concentrated flavors, and hardly ever get over 10% of flavoring, and if I will ever go over that, it wouldn't really be a problem to prep something with a slighty higher amount of nic. Since I still got enough of high nic in the fridge.

I find it extremely convenient using precut nicotine, I can just pour it into a bottle and add my flavoring. ABC and easy as 123. And then you just shake it shake it baby. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread