Did it in public for the first time today!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stillalive

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
USA
I was super nervous about it, but I finally plucked up the courage. :D I was sitting outside at a local restaurant and it was fairly deserted. I pulled out the PV I brought with me (1300 mAh 016 batt with a stormy tank with virgin vapor chai tea) and took a few puffs while working on my netbook. I got some strange looks but luckily I had configured and practiced enough that I didn't have any embarrassing coughing fits. :laugh: I was a little paranoid the owner's wife was going to freak out on me and tell me to stop, but she didn't. I mean, it looked nothing like an analog anyways, but still.

Success! :vapor: I don't plan on vaping anywhere I wouldn't be okay with spraying perfume on myself, but it's still weird to do it anywhere with people watching me.

stillalive

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
USA
stillalive...congrats on taking the step ! Remember to be courteous !

No worries. Like I said, I try not to vape anywhere I wouldn't spray perfume on myself. ;) That ends up being inside most buildings except for ones I'm living in and crowded outdoor spaces, which is pretty much where you wouldn't want to smoke anyways. I guess you could say I don't vape anywhere I wouldn't smoke, but that's not really accurate since smoking laws are way stricter here and I shouldn't be allowed to smoke on a restaurant patio or inside my apartment.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
Lol i been vaping inside a bank , gasoline stop, macdonals, lol , never stop vaping if you can and wanna vape do it

I can see that point. If you know it's not expressly forbidden by local law and the place of business has no signs up about vaping restrictions then why not go for it and see what happens.

At the best you will help educate people and help onlookers become one step closer to 'being alright with it in public'.

At the worst an owner or manager tell you not to do it, and while your putting it away you can ask him to please correct his error by putting up a no vaping sign. You can also reason that if he would allow people with medical inhalers or nicotine inhalers to use them then you should be able to use your PV.

You can also try telling them what you have is a medical inhaler and see if he buys it. You may get away with this because according to the law you cannot even be arrested for using a substance you are addicted to, so it's like the PV is a medically needed device.

Dyanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2009
here :d
The problem I have is my PV looks nothing like ecigs anyone around here has seen. Cheapo gas station ecigs. Too many times I get asked if I am smoking a crack pipe.

lol, my boyfriend said the same thing to me: you look like you're smoking crack, makes me a nervous now when i bring it out...will def get some stares

Sandrita

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Ha ha I can imagine for the first time using your e cig in public with a battery that big it would make me feel a little self conscious as well but I have been smoking e cigs everywhere for two years now, Bars, Restaurants, buses etc. and like everything once you get used to it it is totally fine and you stop noticing the strange looks :)

MsTick

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2011
California
The office where I work in located on a corner that is a popular hangout for homeless people, drug dealers and the more colorful denizens of the city. I vape while walking from my car to the office, and it cracks people up. They see some harmless, business-casually dressed, middle-aged woman toking on a Riva with a clearomizer right out in the open and can't figure what to make of it. The double-takes are priceless. Last week, two men were staring and staring, then they started laughing. "Oh Lord, woman, we thought you was smoking a pipe!"

MsTick
Myself as well, I take double takes. When I see the huge units, it even sets me back for a second and I've been vaping for almost a year. I see they as showy and strange. What then does the general public think?

I disagree with the video. If something is that big and obnoxious looking in public, it is more likely they will consider that you are ""using drugs"". Screw the concerns about smoking. I don't want to draw the authorities in, especially when driving.

The standard cig sized (yet a different color) seems to get the least public reaction. Especially those with a blue light tip (since cigs don't burn blue). I use em nearly everywhere and never get reactions from them except from a few curious smokers who want more info.
Also since much e-juice does have an odor, I am cautious of vaping in a restaurant and conscious of others eating and having to smell it. It's just a courtesy .

So there is a learning curve we as vapers should be willing to show the general public, but this doesn't need to come with shock value.

Pig

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread