• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Did the Australian Government actually look into vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dartman

Sep 1, 2010
Melbourne
Please have a read of

Page 127

http://www.tga.gov.au/NDPSC/record/rr200810.pdf

If you've read this and understand better than I please pipe up. :glare:

As a 10 year veteran of smoking a pack a day I am truly astonished at the success I've had with the e-cig. Ive tried pills, patches and gum. Even tried another variety of 'dry' enhaler. Still nothing. Now that I have my e-cig I'm off the darts for 4 months now and gradually decreasing the frequency of my vaping and the nicotine level of my juice.

Did they really just give such an important issue to a bunch of vets and beurocrats?

Last edited:

anth

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Sydney
No they didn't. Nicola Roxon described them as insideous smoking devices in late 2008, and they were banned 1st Jan 2009. Labor parties ban/introduce anything without looking into what ever it is. Look this Govt then, and now!!
How many Aussies have quit smoking thanks to vaping and improved their health? Gotta be thousands, but they'll still let 3.5 million Aussies smoke/suffer/20,000 die each year and still collect their taxes at the same time.

anth

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Sydney
"For now at least it is still pretty easy to get juice into the country."
True, thankfully. But it wouldn't take much to change this. Just one email from an uninformed, amateur idiot in the "health dept" to customs recommending some sort of crackdown and we're f@#cked.
If one or two shipments are returned to China, they will stop shipping to us and it'll all be over.

tearocks

Verified Member
Aug 17, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Rather than banning e-cig hardware, nicotine is classified as a poison. Victoria was the last state to amend their legislation to make it illegal to supply nicotine as a retailer (as recommended in the report). There were various submissions (presumably from Big Pharma and/or the tobacco industry) wanting e-cigs classified as a therapeutic good. A number of submissions argued (somewhat successfully) that e-cigs don't fit in the TGA schedules so need not be sold only in chemists or on prescription, etc.
Currently you can import nic. juice for personal use. I don't know the exact limit per shipment but have had 200ml inspected by customs and cleared for delivery.
As vapers, the inability to classify e-cigs as a tobacco product, nor drug delivery device, appears to be working in our favour. I do suspect that more submissions will be made in an effort to ban e-cigs once their popularity increases to a point that the sin tax collectors notice a drop in revenue. Another problem is web-sites that proclaim e-cigs to be smoking cessation aids don't help our cause for freedom of choice.

(presumably from Big Pharma and/or the tobacco industry)

Yeh im not 100% sure but i also heard somewhere b4 that J&J Aka Johnson and johnson are one of the major players behind the scenes in the push for the ban.

Can understand why as they stand to lose billions from sales of there nicotine patches.

boz

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
I've imported 2 Lts. and had the box opened yet passed onto me. I have about 5Lts. at the moment in deep freeze and have ordered another 1/2 Lt. just to offset the postage costs on buying other consumables in my latest order. By the time they ban Nic (I always order 36mg or higher/I have a Lt of 100mg that got through customs) I think I will be easily able to use 0mg for vaping as I'm constantly cutting the strength because I believe now that I've been vaping for a while that nicotine is not addictive. Let me say now that I believe that the thousands of chemicals that BT put into tobacco is what is addictive and since vaping Nic juice I noticed that I feel less and less inclined to even use the vape. I'm simply forgetting to use it which means I'm no longer addicted to nicotine. BUT, whenever I smell someone's second hand smoke, I feel like having a real smoke which leads me to believe that the addictive substances are in the chemicals, not the nicotine.

I can vape 54mg Nic and don't get any cigarette type hit at all, yet one smell of cigarette smoke and my receptors go insane. Its not the nicotine it's the sh@t they put in them that is addicting and killing people.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Actually, it's the act of setting something on fire and inhaling the smoke that is the danger in smoking cigarettes. I'm not sure that tobacco smoke is any more or less harmful than any other smoke one might regularly inhale. The harmful chemicals in cigarettes are created after they are set on fire, just as the harmful chemicals from wood stoves, campfires, etc. are dangerous. If you ate a cigarette rather than smoked it, I doubt that you would be at risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread