Difference between 316L and 302/304 stainless steel wire for vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Canada
I was wondering if anyone could give an 'educated' answer on the difference between 316L and 302/304 stainless steel wire as far as vaping is concerned.

My understanding thus far is that 302/304 wire might not do as well as 316L under corrosive conditions most likely present in a vaping environment without being mirror polished. Would that be correct?

I’m interested to know if 302/304 aircraft stainless steel wire (malin) might be considered a better/‘purer’ wire than 316L?

Thanks.

chefjoosie

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2013
Cincinnati, OH, USA
316(L) just has a bit of molybdenum in it. The only added corrosion protection it provides, is against chloride corrosion. Even if for some reason, your liquid contains salt, or you add tap water with chlorine in it for some reason, the amount in the liquid isn't going to affect the wire during the life of the coil. It will fail due to other reasons long before you have to worry about that.

As far as vapeing goes, you probably won't see any difference at all. If anything, 304 has a slightly higher TCR so you might need to set the temp a bit lower for 316 than for 304 at the same set TCR value.

Baddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Canada
Thanks Chefjoosie, I'm thinking about trying some 304. Do you know if there is some particular reason why 316L is universally the stainless steel wire of choice in the vaping world when 302/304 which does not contain molybdenum and a 1lb spool (934ft, 26 gauge) costs about $10. I would have presumed that the lack of molybdenum (even if the amount is small in 316L) would make 302/304 preferable, and it's considerably less expensive. Is there something I'm missing in this equation?

Thanks so much.

chefjoosie

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2013
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Thanks Chefjoosie, I'm thinking about trying some 304. Do you know if there is some particular reason why 316L is universally the stainless steel wire of choice in the vaping world when 302/304 which does not contain molybdenum and a 1lb spool (934ft, 26 gauge) costs about $10. I would have presumed that the lack of molybdenum (even if the amount is small in 316L) would make 302/304 preferable, and it's considerably less expensive. Is there something I'm missing in this equation?

Thanks so much.
The most likely reason that 316 is more popular is that it's called "surgical stainless steel" This could make folks feel safer in using it. I suppose they think, if it's good enough for surgery, it must be good enough for vapeing.

In reality, they're so much alike that whichever is cheaper, and easier for you to get will be your best option.

Baddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Canada
The most likely reason that 316 is more popular is that it's called "surgical stainless steel" This could make folks feel safer in using it. I suppose they think, if it's good enough for surgery, it must be good enough for vapeing.

In reality, they're so much alike that whichever is cheaper, and easier for you to get will be your best option.

I live in Canada so good deals on SS wire are limited at the moment but I can get quality 302/304 fairly cheap.
Excellent. Thanks!

Reactions: dj_g14

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
304 - I don't like it, after cleaning a couple of times it's turned a rust color and IMO has a funky taste, not as clean of a taste as other SS

316L - I like it, nice crisp/clean flavor, lasts well, good selection of sizes

317L - Currently preferred but limited sizes, smallest gauge I've found so far is 32g. I like it due to a slightly higher resistance, matters since I'm primarily using my Mech's, so one less wrap matters. Also seems to be better suited for Temp Control from what I've heard. But I rarely use my Regulated mod's these days.

430 - Tried it, not bad and it has zero nickel, limited sizes though

321 - I'm trying it out now, currently enjoying it with a basic build. It's used for high heat applications like Jet Engine, Furnace, etc. Has a bit higher heat tolerance so giving it a try. Good flavor, seems to have about the same resistance as 316L. But currently it seems to have a limited size, haven't found anything smaller than 28g.

My current go to builds are 317L for my core wire then use 316L as the wrapping wire, mainstay has been 28x2 317L/36 316L or 30x7 317l/38 316L fused claptons.

Baddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Canada
304 - I don't like it, after cleaning a couple of times it's turned a rust color and IMO has a funky taste, not as clean of a taste as other SS
Thanks r055c0. Mirror polishing the 304 might help but if you didn't like the taste of the wire in the first place polishing wouldn't change the taste. Where did you source your 304 from?

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Thanks r055c0. Mirror polishing the 304 might help but if you didn't like the taste of the wire in the first place polishing wouldn't change the taste. Where did you source your 304 from?
Even if I liked the taste, mirror polishing?

Why bother? Just get 316L or 317L [emoji57]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Where I sourced it was from Unkommen, they have good quality. I also got 316L, 317L and 430 from them, excellent quality wire.

Reactions: dj_g14

Baddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Canada
Even if I liked the taste, mirror polishing?
Why bother? Just get 316L or 317L
emoji57.png

Agreed! And Thanks again for your detailed post, as information on 316L alternatives is sparse at best ... Much Appreciated! I have some 302/304 on the way and I'm hoping to like it as it's so inexpensive ... but your post has encouraged me to try some of the other SS alternatives. Thanks r055co.

Reactions: r055co

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Agreed! And Thanks again for your detailed post, as information on 316L alternatives is sparse at best ... Much Appreciated! I have some 302/304 on the way and I'm hoping to like it as it's so inexpensive ... but your post has encouraged me to try some of the other SS alternatives. Thanks r055co.
I've been getting my wire lately from Kidney Puncher, good prices and very good selection of 316L, from 22g to 44g. For my 317L I get it from across the Pond in the UK at Crazy Wire, 317L from 22g to 32g. Both have excellent quality and very good prices, no cheap Chinese crap.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I bought a 100' roll of 316l in 28ga and 30ga from Temco for under $15 shipped. Likely to last me for years.

316L seemed to be the popular choice which is why I tried it. Temco is clean. Less springy than kanthal makes it easy to work with. Nice clean consistent vape to me with rayon wick in watt mode or mech.
Temco has good wire, but I found better price at Kidney Puncher. The wire is smelted in Sweden and milled in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread