Difference in making high vg low nic vs. Low vg high nic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Hello all. This is my first post in the DIY forum. I have decided to make e liquid yay! I use 3mg nic with 70 to max vg, and I'm pretty spoiled on premium flavors. My wife uses 50 50 range liquid at 12 to 18mg nic. Is there any difference in general ingredients? I want to make some high quality juice. All suggestions welcome. I have yet to buy any equipment or ingredients.

Reactions: BrotherBob

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
If you want to make 100% VG juice and 50/50 juice, buy some VG, some pg, and some VG base nic, then use a calculator to get the specific numbers right. It is likely that you will want to measure by weight to get accurate recipes. If you buy a high percentage nic base you will still need to add additional VG to make a 50/50 juice.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I like a high nic base because that’s easier to deal with; takes less storage space. I use either 50/50 or 100% vg, depends on what I’m making- it’s easier to pour 50/50 but the 100 is for max vg juice.

There are a couple flavors I’ve adapted slightly from one ratio to another, but I’d have to search the notebooks for that information. Most, I either make one way or the other, or they’re just fine no matter what. Toasted almond is like that, it’s good at any nic at any ratio. It’s just easy.

My experience is that no matter how I mix it, some flavors are just better for one tank than another

But that’s all subjective. The most helpful tips I can give are start small, use a calculator, measure painstakingly, take notes, shake and test. And don’t tweak for a couple weeks. Let it bloom first.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I would order vg, pg, and 100mg or higher nic in pg base. What I have done is make my own nic bases. In your case one 60vg/40pg base and another 90vg/10pg base. Makes mixing more convenient and much faster with minimal clean up. I use 22oz condiment bottles to mix my bases in, around 600-650ml iirc. Get good no leak ldpe bottles if you go this route.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
My issue with making eliquid in the past has always been that I will end up with a bunch of juice that has a similar base flavor that I just don't care for. I'm sure we've all had brands of juice we avoid due to a general dislike of the overall taste of a whole line of flavors, like they are using some type of vg or pg that just seems off somehow. I've heard that some companies nicotine is better than others. When I did mtl (my wife still does and isn't picky on brands) juice quality did not seem to matter so much. Now I'm a low sub ohm dl vaper and I intake a lot of liquid, and some of the stuff out there is just straight up bad to me.
Is there a range of quality (or even just a range in flavor) with the base ingredients like vg, pg, and nic base, and if so is anyone with my style of vaping willing to elaborate?

Reactions: Letitia

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I would order vg, pg, and 100mg or higher nic in pg base. What I have done is make my own nic bases. In your case one 50/50 base and another 90vg/10pg base. Makes mixing more convenient and much faster with minimal clean up. I use 22oz condiment bottles to mix my bases in, around 600-650ml iirc. Get good no leak ldpe bottles if you go this route.
Do you mean you mix up bottles with just vg pg and nic, ready to add flavoring? Or just mix up a nic base in the percentage you want, ready to add to a bottle of liquid when making? I think I see value in both lol.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
My issue with making eliquid in the past has always been that I will end up with a bunch of juice that has a similar base flavor that I just don't care for. I'm sure we've all had brands of juice we avoid due to a general dislike of the overall taste of a whole line of flavors, like they are using some type of vg or pg that just seems off somehow. I've heard that some companies nicotine is better than others. When I did mtl (my wife still does and isn't picky on brands) juice quality did not seem to matter so much. Now I'm a low sub ohm dl vaper and I intake a lot of liquid, and some of the stuff out there is just straight up bad to me.
Is there a range of quality (or even just a range in flavor) with the base ingredients like vg, pg, and nic base, and if so is anyone with my style of vaping willing to elaborate?
Essential Depot vg works well for me. I don't add pg to my base but keep a base for my cousin and NR pg is what I use in her base. Meg has prime so have her order the vg for me to save on shipping cost. I use salts and get those from LNW or NR. I've switched to an unmentionable higher mg to take up less room in my tiny freezer. I would recommend 100mg or higher. Allows for less storage and more flexibility imo.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Do you mean you mix up bottles with just vg pg and nic, ready to add flavoring? Or just mix up a nic base in the percentage you want, ready to add to a bottle of liquid when making? I think I see value in both lol.
I mix around 600ml of base to add to the flavors as needed. I mix by weight and between the premixed nic base and the scales mixing goes much faster. I have to get to work. I'll send a link with the bottles I use for the nic base when I get to work.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Essential Depot vg works well for me. I don't add pg to my base but keep a base for my cousin and NR pg is what I use in her base. Meg has prime so have her order the vg for me to save on shipping cost. I use salts and get those from LNW or NR. I've switched to an unmentionable higher mg to take up less room in my tiny freezer. I would recommend 100mg or higher. Allows for less storage and more flexibility imo.
I know this is like a whole nother :pervy: conversation, but is there much difference between using (making eliquid with) nic salts? I've actually not tried any salt juices, and am curious about that in the low strength I use. I like a little teeny tiny bit of throat hit lol and find with 3 mg commercial juice I get that. I've heard salt nic is smoother, o will I lose my miniscule amount of throat hit? I don't want to compensate with more pg... Need the thick stuff.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I mix around 600ml of base to add to the flavors as needed. I mix by weight and between the premixed nic base and the scales mixing goes much faster. I have to get to work. I'll send a link with the bottles I use for the nic base when I get to work.
No rush, I can take some time on planning :)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I know this is like a whole nother :pervy: conversation, but is there much difference between using (making eliquid with) nic salts? I've actually not tried any salt juices, and am curious about that in the low strength I use. I like a little teeny tiny bit of throat hit lol and find with 3 mg commercial juice I get that. I've heard salt nic is smoother, o will I lose my miniscule amount of throat hit? I don't want to compensate with more pg... Need the thick stuff.
You will lose the th with salts. Would smooth out the higher pg mixes if that's what your wife would like. I only use use them because of lack of harshness. Out side of that I personally find no practical reason to use salts.

These hold more than 20oz; I mix 600ml and still have room to shake. Most importantly they don't leak. My previous ones from walmart did.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075KNBLW5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio

I’ve only used essential depot pg and vg, so can’t compare. But I’ve used 5-6 different brands of nic and they’re just too close in flavor for me to think it makes a difference. That said, all my nic is 100 mg/ ml, and there may be less flavor difference than lower concentrations.

My end results seem much more influenced by the flavor brands, I think. I can tell which is which most of the time with just a taste.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Is there any difference in general ingredients? I
Yes, mostly for Nic, and flavors, not so much on VG and less with PG.
I have yet to buy any equipment or ingredients.
Good move, you need to do quite a bit of reading to save money.
Recipes first:
The more you read the more enjoyable vaping/mixing will become. One tip: Before you place your first DIY flavor order, you might want to order only those flavors you will need to make 3 or more recipes. Order all the flavors for those recipes. Very few (2-3 flavors out of a 50 or more can be satisfying as single one flavor mix) flavors can standalone.
I know this is like a whole nother :pervy: conversation, but is there much difference between using (making eliquid with) nic salts?
Freebase vs. Salt Nicotine: What's the difference?
Juices with Salts Thoughts?
General recommended reading to start:
Could Goggle: Reddit DIY Beginners Guide
dannyv45's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
DIY e-liquids. learn how to make your own e-liquids
Help Bull City Flavors help those affected by Hurricane Harvey On Wednesday, Au… – E-Juice Makers
https://godofsteam.wordpress.com/2014/08/14/getting-started-diy-101-mixing-your-own-eliquid/
http://diyordievaping.com/category/latestnews/beginnertips/
https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic...ginners_guide_to_making_the_most_highlyrated/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...es-and-safety-for-the-first-time-juicer.5096/

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
It is likely that you will want to measure by weight to get accurate recipes.

What??? :?:
The method one uses to measure...doesn't determine how accurate the recipe is that's made. How careful the person is while doing the measuring determines it...no matter which method they use.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
What??? :?:
The method one uses to measure...doesn't determine how accurate the recipe is that's made. How careful the person is while doing the measuring determines it...no matter which method they use.
This is true, however I am assuming mingthe OP is interested in high accuracy because of his statement about flavor and weight accuracy is a bit more intuitive than fluid volume accuracy. You don’t have to worry about miniscus height and whatnot

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well I had to google the definition of that and wow trust me when I say that never even occurred to me. I must have not been paying attention that day in well what discipline would that fall under, IMMA gonna call it "science" yeah, I was not paying attention at all that day.

@bombastinator , I am going to say that I do know one thing for sure, and that's the fact that you are far more accurate than ME.

This may be one reason that I can cook, but not bake. Although, I think it's more that I'm CURSED because one day after I flipped out about my failure to bake bread (and I did, for some reason I felt it reflected badly on me that I cannot make homemade bread) and I totally trailed the husband several times and took notes, and then finally like, it was my "day to succeed" and the husband trailed ME and totally said I did everything EXACTLY how he did it and like, MASS FAILURE OCCURED, and I doubt it was due to meniscus failure to measure although WHO KNOWS.

Because that was the day when I was like, "Okay. Supermarkets. They can bake bread, I'm not going to have to worry about this until oh, say, AFTER the zombie apocalypse.

Anna

Reactions: DeloresRose

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I am assuming mingthe OP is interested in high accuracy because of his statement about flavor and weight accuracy is a bit more intuitive than fluid volume accuracy.

The only reference to flavors, that I see in his OP, that was posted right before your post is, "I'm pretty spoiled on premium flavors". That has to do with the quality of the flavors. That won't change no matter what measurement method he uses.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The only reference to flavors, that I see in his OP, that was posted right before your post is, "I'm pretty spoiled on premium flavors". That has to do with the quality of the flavors. That won't change no matter what measurement method he uses.
But it will make his mixing more accurate. One would assume that if he feels he must have the “best” premium flavors that he is going to attempt to to replicate complicated recipes. Does this mean that t will actually do him any good? Personally I doubt it. I don’t bother with complicated recipes myself nor do I use the apparently loathed weighing method. What the OP is going to want to do is what the OP is going to want to do though and neither I nor you are him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread