Status
Not open for further replies.

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Hey guys, lately I've been seeing people building nickel wire on an atty for their temperature sensing feature on their DNA40 device, what I don't get is why do they need to have space in between each wrap and when using Kanthal doesnt ?

I am hoping someone will provide you an answer as to why nickel wire shouldn't be built into a microcoil. If you search nickel wire and read through posts multiple people state not to wrap the nickel wire into coils that are touching but do not say why exactly. ~~fingers crossed~~
I just bought some 32g nickel wire and wanted to try a build with it. Didn't pay attention to the non-resistance aspect until I got the stuff and non-resistance was emblazoned on the front of it. I just read about twisting Kanthal and nickel together, which I might try out. I'm curious as to how the two types of wire will interact. Positive it will lower the resistance of the Kanthal and pretty sure it will heat it up quicker if twisted with a lower, thicker guage. I hate how long it takes for my 24 guage to heat up. Might start there.

But thinking now, the resistance lowers with thicker wire. Anyone reading this thread twisted nickel and Kanthal or have an answer for the OP?

Last edited:

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
With nickel wire when the coils touch each other it effectively creates a short and the rest of the coil won't heat properly because of it.

Kanthal is resistance wire, the current will flow through the wire even in a microcoil configuration. Nickel is non-resistance, so the electricity will travel through the shortest path.

Reactions: dcfluegel

Scotticus93

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
With nickel wire when the coils touch each other it effectively creates a short and the rest of the coil won't heat properly because of it.

Kanthal is resistance wire, the current will flow through the wire even in a microcoil configuration. Nickel is non-resistance, so the electricity will travel through the shortest path.
So you have to build spaced coils when you use nickel? Furthermore what is the comparison between kanthal and nickel. Does 28g for instance have less resistance compared to 28 nickel or more? I'm about to get a tc mod and need a little help lol

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Because electricity takes the path of least resistance. (Ok, it's actually more complex than that, if there are multiple paths. It then takes the lowest *average* path. Parallel conductors of differing resistances will each carry current and voltage in inverse proportion to their percentage of the sum of resistances.) In the case of Ni or Ti contact coils, the short path is through the coil sideways, rather than going around and around the spiral. Thus spaced coils are necessary to make the current flow through the entire length of the wire.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hey guys, lately I've been seeing people building nickel wire on an atty for their temperature sensing feature on their DNA40 device, what I don't get is why do they need to have space in between each wrap and when using Kanthal doesnt ?

The thing with temperature sensing mods is that they are really sensitive to changes in coil resistance. The best performance with these devices is found when using the most stable resistance builds you can. With Kanthal at 0.50 ohms on a VW device if it changes to 0.60 ohms it doesn't make any noticeable difference to your vape. With a nickle build at 0.15 ohms that changes to 0.17 ohms it makes a big difference to the temperature the mod thinks the wire is at and that changes the vape a lot. Using contact coils means that as the contact integrity between the coils changes the resistance of the coil changes, sometimes a lot. That is one variable that is eliminated by using non-contact coils and that will make your setup that much more stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread