Different voltage necessary for VAMO 5 vs. eGo Twist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMaguire2013

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
So I have two Joye eGo C-Twists I've been using for a while, and I've found that with my 2.5 ohm heads, I get my best vape around 4.0-4.2V (or about 6.5 - 7 watts). It maximizes the flavor without worry of a burnt taste.

I just got the VAMO 5 and I'm loving it. However, I originally had it at about 7 watts and it hit incredibly hard, huge flavor, but got a burnt taste pretty quick. I turned it down to 6 watts and even 5.5 watts and I'd get a burnt taste after just a couple hits. So I turned it down to 5 watts and it seems perfect -- haven't gotten a burnt taste, but still way more flavor than the eGo C-Twist. It is a little cool feeling though.

Is there a reason why 5 watts seems to work better on the VAMO compared to 6.5 - 7 watts on the Twist? Is it due to RMS mode?

EDIT: Scratch that, now even getting a bit of a burnt taste on 5 watts. Maybe I just burnt my atomizer head when I first used it?

EDIT 2: Also, for reference, I'm using stacked 18350's from AW.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Dial and display settings should be viewed as estimates. I don't think any of the makers calibrate the devices. So if you put your Vamo (or whatever) in VV mode, identical settings on it and on your Twist may not actually be the same voltage. And yes, RMS mode may also be a factor.

You don't say what device the 2.5 heads are in, but it's possible you scorched the grommets in it with the overpowering hit.

And use the search feature above to find Baditude's blogs. Read what he has to say about stacking batteries. May make you decide to go to 18650 :)

JohnMaguire2013

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Dial and display settings should be viewed as estimates. I don't think any of the makers calibrate the devices. So if you put your Vamo (or whatever) in VV mode, identical settings on it and on your Twist may not actually be the same voltage. And yes, RMS mode may also be a factor.

You don't say what device the 2.5 heads are in, but it's possible you scorched the grommets in it with the overpowering hit.

And use the search feature above to find Baditude's blogs. Read what he has to say about stacking batteries. May make you decide to go to 18650 :)

I also have a single 18650, and may end up using my 18350's separately but I haven't decided yet so I'm keeping my options open by stacking them.

They are in a Protank II. I still find it hard to believe that an estimated 7 watts is an estimated 4.5 watts on the VAMO. Seems like a pretty huge difference to me -- especially since the same voltage works on both of my twists.

4.5 watts seems to work pretty well usually, but now I'm down to 4 watts cuz that started giving a burnt taste too. I might take apart the atomizer and see what I can see.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
when using a single battery the voltage has to be boosted and isnt as strong as it could be. when stacking batteries the mod will hit stronger because there is always more voltage then it needs and has to step the voltage down. then add in a regulator thats not very accurate or calibrated very tightly and the voltage will always be stronger then the actual setting.

then your comparing then to a twist which has always been a little light on the voltage settings as the battery sags under load. I dont care for clearos as i think they will burn to easily but i think i would probably trust the vamo a little more then the twist for figuring wattage. have you tried pulling some of the flavor wicks out of the PT so it can keep up?

Last edited:

JohnMaguire2013

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
when using a single battery the voltage has to be boosted and isnt as strong as it could be. when stacking batteries the mod will hit stronger because there is always more voltage then it needs and has to step the voltage down. then add in a regulator thats not very accurate or calibrated very tightly and the voltage will always be stronger then the actual setting.

then your comparing then to a twist which has always been a little light on the voltage settings as the battery sags under load. I dont care for clearos as i think they will burn to easily but i think i would probably trust the vamo a little more then the twist for figuring wattage. have you tried pulling some of the flavor wicks out of the PT so it can keep up?

I have not with the VAMO, because when I pulled one out when using a Twist, the atomizer head stopped working (maybe I didn't push the stem in tight enough and it flooded?)

JohnMaguire2013

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Removing the flavor wicks may cause the clearo to leak. If it failed to fire after, did you do it right? Wiggle the air tube off? If you just tried pulling the wicks out from under it, you may have broken the coil wire.

Flooding won't keep it from firing, just from vaping well :)

Right, it was firing, just getting very little draw from it. It was not broken, just not working well.

In any case, I've found I'm having to fiddle with the VAMO a lot. It seems like I can use a bit higher wattage when I use my 18650, but the stacked 18350s needs to be lower. In any case, I tend to have to fiddle with the wattage a lot. I can do 5 watts for about a hit or two before I start getting throat harshness (100% VG) and a bit of a burnt taste. I can do 4.5 watts for about 3-4 hits before the same thing happens. 3.5 - 4 watts typically works fine, but it feels very cool, especially if I have let the VAMO sit for a bit.

I would like a warmer vape but I don't want to damage my heads, and I'm not a fan of the sharp throat hit. Especially since I'm worried about burning the wicks and wasting an atomizer head. I've gone through a few just testing out different wattage.

This is quite frustrating because I love the flavor I'm getting off the VAMO (the Twists don't even compare) but it's taking a lot of effort and fiddling to keep everything working -- even with the wattage "set and forget" thing (since I can't seem to set and forget.)

JohnMaguire2013

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Maybe browse / ask in the Vamo thread: VAMO

Some (all?) models have a couple of regulation modes, but not having a Vamo I'm not much help with the specifics.

David, I can not thank you enough! I thought the RMS/AVG mode switch had been removed and it was RMS only on the V5. I had tried holding the minus button for 10 seconds previously but didn't get the switching message to pop up. Turns out it's about 15 seconds for the V5. Just switched to RMS and so far I'm vaping on 7 watts with no issues! Thank you soooooooooo much. Gonna have to try this out for a while to ensure it's really fixed but I think you just solved my problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread