Difficulty breathing? Feeling like Something stuck in chest? What's going on here???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayZ33

Jun 8, 2017
Hello,

So I've been vaping for about 3 years now.

Different vapes, but using an alien device now. Was using steady 6mg nicotine and brought it down to 3mg, at 100% vg, but now a 70/30 vg/pg.

I was fine until about 3 months ago when I started getting chest tightness and difficulty breathing out of nowhere when vaping. I was unsure that it was the vape at first but I came to the conclusion that it is indeed the vape.

It began getting worse to where I was constantly taking deep breaths and felt super tight. Then a strange feeling of something stuck in my chest came in on the left side.

Got worse and worse until I couldn't breathe one night and went to the ER .
EGG came back fine and they couldn't find any problems. I then took more heart tests and it seems to be perfect. Asthma tests seem to be fine as well.

I stopped vaping for about a month and I got a bit better but not fully healed. I'm back in vaping and it's getting bad again. I really don't wanna have to quit.

I can't understand the problem behind this , please help!

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
well perhaps you are simply allergic to e juice ingredients. it's not out of the realm of believability. It's sad if so, but if you quit for a week and feel great, then it has to point to something like that.

Of course, no matter what, this should NOT be taken lightly, and you should be at your doctor stat having some tests done please, including a lung function test.. don't put it off.. were you ever a smoker like many of us? There could be residual damage. Just check yourself out as nothing is as important as your health, and do let us know how you go. We are here for you! Best wishes

Edit, i just noticed you had some tests.. I am not a doctor so i shouldn't comment further other than say.. logically you should be checking your lungs out..
if it took a month to feel a bit better, i have a suspicion the vaping may just be a minor catalyst/irritant for an underlying issue.. seriously, follow up with more medical visits, please.. look after yourself..

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Hello,

Different vapes, but using an alien device now. Was using steady 6mg nicotine and brought it down to 3mg, at 100% vg, but now a 70/30 vg/pg.

I was fine until about 3 months ago when I started getting chest tightness and difficulty breathing out of nowhere when vaping. I was unsure that it was the vape at first but I came to the conclusion that it is indeed the vape.

It began getting worse to where I was constantly taking deep breaths and felt super tight. Then a strange feeling of something stuck in my chest came in on the left side.

EGG came back fine and they couldn't find any problems. I then took more heart tests and it seems to be perfect. Asthma tests seem to be fine as well.

I stopped vaping for about a month and I got a bit better but not fully healed. I'm back in vaping and it's getting bad again. I really don't wanna have to quit.

If this started when you were on 100% vg, then go to a higher pg, try a 60%pg mix if thats the case.. see if that helps..

If vice versa and this started when you switched to a higher pg mix, then go back to the 100% vg.

Also, try unflavored... HHV has some unflavored called nada, if you don't DIY..

Nada - $6.00 : Heather’s Heavenly Vapes, Top Quality Custom E-Liquids

As it could be some flavorings messing with you too..

Since this took a month of not vaping to clear up somewhat, you are going to have to give your body more time than that to heal more fully. I would honestly suggest stopping vaping as long as you can to give your body some time to get better before you start trying to figure out what is causing this.. when your body is more healed, you can more quickly figure out what is helpful and what is not.

Reactions: Vesh

JayZ33

Jun 8, 2017
Thank you for your thoughtful replies.

It seems to have turned to a minor irritation at this point, and I still can't come to a direct conclusion. I have been to literally 7 different doctors and none of them can pin point it.... very frustrating.

Lung tests are fine, heart tests are fine. I have no cough and no other symptoms which further confuses me more. Wtf is causing this?

I will try the unflavored juice and hopefully I can get some sort of an idea of what I'm dealing with.

Any more ideas as to what is happening will be appreciated.

Reactions: Opinionated

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
you've actually had the full lung function test? Well if so, and it's fine, that's GREAT.

I think the vape simply irritates you then and may give you a bit of mechanical bronchial disease, i.e not caused by infections but chems in the vape.

Again I will ask, were you ever a smoker? and how were you then?

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017
You could also try a much higher nicotine, with a much smaller airflow tank.. vape cig style i.e MTL..
you will also be able to take much shorter drags and get twice the kick.. less puff time = less vapour = likely less irritation.. Use a temp control MTL coil like the mini triton 0.15 coils, in a nautilus or nautilus 2, 420 faranheit with high nic. I really don't think it's the nic level affecting you but the flavourings and the VG.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Your symptoms sound a lot like what I used to get.
For me the trouble was too much VG and running higher power levels.

So I stay with max PG (80%) and keep the power down around 30 watts. There are also flavours that added to my discomfort. Cinnamon, root beer, black licorice etc. I think it was because they are oil based flavourings. So I stay away from oils too.
Good Luck!

Mikeynomorevape

Jun 3, 2015
I seriously almost died from vaping. I tried the pg vg all different blends and mixes, spent a small fortune on all the different crap.

I got so bad at one point I could barely breathe at all. So many trips to the E.R. they started to know me. No doctors could ever figure it out and as soon as I mentioned vaping they all immediately blamed smoking whatever I was smoking or vaping and said stop.

My breathing problems lasted a year and a half before I felt somewhat normal. It's been 3 years now since vaping and I am still not 100% They gave me prednisone, antibiotics, breathing treatments with albuterol, I had albuterol puffers, was put on asmanex, advair and symbicort. I never had any problems at all when I smoked cigs. and only vaped for 3-4 months. I still have to take symbicort once in awhile if I feel tight or start to wheeze. I regret ever trying to vape. I still don't know what the heck happened, maybe I caught a bad infection?something in the materials of the mechanism I was using was bad for me? or what but I do know it is scary as hell not being able to breathe and nothing is worth what I went through.

Reactions: unIGIon

Mikeynomorevape

Jun 3, 2015
Damn man I'm sorry to hear that...

Did you ever reach a conclusion as to what might have caused it ?

Symbicort does help a bit but it messes with my vision for some reason.

I stopped vaping for a month, got back on and it was going well. But now it's starting again.

So frustrating
No I never found out for sure, I can only assume I got a bad infection or something. The doctors said my lungs were extremely inflamed. That's why they gave me Prednisone shots to bring down the inflammation and that helped me breathe better. The first time, I thought I was better so like a dummy I tried vaping again and it went right back to being hard to breathe even worse the second time.

I tried so many juices I couldn't pinpoint which one did it. Every juice I tried seemed to start it up. The bad thing is the recovery time is ridiculous. 3 years later and I still am not 100% but the first full year and a half was most horrible. I was on the nebulizer or the puffer doing albuterol every four hours. Finally they prescribed the long acting meds so I could take them once or twice a day. I hate taking medications so I slowly weened myself off them but I still do have to take it once in awhile if I'm feeling tight chested.

pipireis

Jul 18, 2017
maybe you are just having panic attacks ? i used to have them. I was feeling like i was not able to breath, and im going to have a hearth attack. I was afraid to be alone because i was thinking that i might have a hearth attack, faint and left with no one else arround to help. After i took some tests my doctor told me there is nothing wrong about my lungs or heart. He advised me to consider that i might be having panic attacks and told me to see a psychologist to sort it out. Hearing this convinced me that im healty and never had those periods afterwards.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
If one has any breathing or lung issues it might be a good idea to move to a MTL setup with higher nic and instead of inhaling, just puff the vapor much like a cigar or pipe. Most of the nic absorption occurs in the tissues, not the lungs, so you can get your nic without breathing in vapor.

In this era of direct lung vaping, a common solution from the past is sometimes overlooked. I still use this technique at times when needed and it works well.

Reactions: propagandax

Blinkyrocket

Sep 6, 2017
Hello,

I've had tightness before and the problem has always been anxiety. I could always massage the tightness out of my chest, because it was the muscle, not my heart. Nicotine activates the sympathetic nervous system so in my experience it can influence breathing and obviously muscle tension. Although, most likely stress has precipitated these events. Either that or you developed an allergy to the PG or VG, or something. Your recent comment implies an allergy. Allergy would also explain why it happened suddenly, after a long time of not having problems.

Blinkyrocket

Sep 6, 2017
I seriously almost died from vaping. I tried the pg vg all different blends and mixes, spent a small fortune on all the different crap.

I got so bad at one point I could barely breathe at all. So many trips to the E.R. they started to know me. No doctors could ever figure it out and as soon as I mentioned vaping they all immediately blamed smoking whatever I was smoking or vaping and said stop.

My breathing problems lasted a year and a half before I felt somewhat normal. It's been 3 years now since vaping and I am still not 100% They gave me prednisone, antibiotics, breathing treatments with albuterol, I had albuterol puffers, was put on asmanex, advair and symbicort. I never had any problems at all when I smoked cigs. and only vaped for 3-4 months. I still have to take symbicort once in awhile if I feel tight or start to wheeze. I regret ever trying to vape. I still don't know what the heck happened, maybe I caught a bad infection?something in the materials of the mechanism I was using was bad for me? or what but I do know it is scary as hell not being able to breathe and nothing is worth what I went through.
Allergies... It's gotta be an allergy to the vegetable glycerin. Did you ever try 100% PG? Does such a thing even exist?

Reactions: Vesh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread