Digiflavor Lunar Starter Kit with Lumi Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the Lunar Starter Kit with Lumi tank from Digiflavor. The Digiflavor Lunar Starter Kit with Lumi tank was supplied for the purpose of this review by Pearl from Cigabuy.

https://www.cigabuy.com/authentic-digifl...14470.html

Introduction

Not long ago Digiflavor released the single battery Helix which is a simple wattage device giving 2 different constant wattage outputs and bypass. The Lunar although having a completely different look is a dual battery version of the Helix but having Batteries that get installed in Parallel doesn't increase it's voltage output in Bypass but rather is for extra battery life. The Lunar is made from the same lightweight yet durable ABS plastic making it a cheap budget device but is powered by Geekvape's AS chip so i expected good performance. Unfortunately in this Kit we yet again see a kit involving a disposable tank which i just don't think should be happening, but let's give the Lunar a good look and also give my thoughts on the Lumi Tank!

In The Box

Contents:

Standard Edition

1 x Digiflavor Lunar MOD(no cell)
1 x Lumi Tank 4ml(built-in 0.3ohm supermesh coil)
1 x User manual
1 x Promotion Card&Warranty Card
1 x Spare Parts Pack

TPD Edition

1 x Digiflavor Lunar MOD(no cell)
1 x Lumi Tank 2ml(built-in 0.3ohm supermesh coil)
1 x User manual
1 x Promotion Card&Warranty Card
1 x Spare Parts Pack

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Lunar Kit came in cardboard packaging and on opening i found i had received the Black version, it's also available in Red, Blue and White. The device is very light at just 50g and made from ABS plastic which is deceivingly durable but because the Lunar doesn't have raised areas like the Helix, textured or rubberised finish it has a very cheap feel in the hand which is improved with the added weight of batteries. The form factor is a double barrel shape like the Squid Industries Double Barrel Mod, in fact it's about the exact same size. On one of the barrels we have "DIGIFLAVOR" carved into the plastic and on the other barrel towards the top a small LED indicator light. The opposite side see's the barrels have a removable panel for battery installation. On the front of one of the barrels is a Gun metal horizontal pill shaped fire button which protrudes nicely to be easily felt when the device is in the hand. On top of the device on one of the barrels we have a small 510 plate with Gold plated, spring loaded 510. As i haven't used the Squid Industries Double barrel Mod i didn't realise how ergonomic the double barrel shape is, it feels great in the hand ergonomically but i just can't get away from the cheap plastic feel.

Lumi Tank Specs and Features:

Size: 24 x 44.3mm (4ml)/24 x 34.8mm (2ml)
Capacity: 4ml/2ml
Coil Type: Built-in Non-replaceable Supercoil 0.3ohm KA1 Mesh (30-45W, Best 35-40W)
Innovative pre-coiled Lumi tank
Non-replaceable Supermesh coil system
Clear polycarbonate atomizer
Top refill and bottom airflow
Thread: 510
Colours: Blue, Orange, Gunmetal, Black

My Thoughts About Disposable Tanks

I have reviewed 5 different disposable tanks now and while up until the Lumi i have been surprised by flavour and performance and do see the uses of such a tank. Using when going on holiday or in a position you think your tank could be at risk of being damaged or lost, or just having a couple in a drawer for an emergency or maybe one in the glove compartment in your car. However including a disposable tank as a kit tank is encouraging over use of these tanks and just filling up landfill sites. I really don't get it, if you buy a kit you want a tank which can be used continuously just changing the coil when needed not one that after a couple of weeks needs throwing away and replacing. I suppose an argument could be made that some people want the convenience of not having to change coils but let's face it that's incredibly lazy!

Lumi Overview

The Lumi is a sub-ohm disposable tank with a pre-installed 0.3 mesh kanthal coil, with a rating between 30W and 45W and best of 35W to 40W. The whole top section including drip tip is one peace which is totally transparent, on the top of the tank next to the drip tip to one side is a removable bung which you remove to reveal a very generous fill port. The tank holds 4ml of e-liquid or 2ml with the TPD version, the TPD version is much shorter. The fill method is the best of the disposable tanks i have used so far as the tank doesn't need removing from the device to fill and the port is a very good size. The bung fits deep and tight making it very secure and in the event of it snapping off and losing it during filling a spare one is provided. Obviously with no way of priming the coil when filling for the first time i would leave standing for 10 minutes taking the odd draw without firing. You might get away with priming the middle of the coil with the shorter TPD version via the drip tip but with the 4ml version most of the liquid will just go down the centre into the base and then out the airflow holes so personally i would just fill the tank then be patient. The Lumi also looks to have the best airflow adjustabilty of the disposable tanks i have looked at so far, the control ring can be removed which reveals dual cyclops, the control ring has 3 just over 2mm holes each side so you can have one hole open each side, 2 holes or 3. Moving to the base we do have a protruding Gold plated 510 but i would strongly advise not to use the Lumi on a hybrid.

Performance of Lumi

Usually the performance of the tank i would be describing and giving my opinion in the same section as the device performance but i tested the Lunar with other tanks as i have used the Lumi with the Lucid and reviewed the tank separately as well as receiving it with the Helix and i am not a fan at all. The Lumi is disappointing as i have been surprised by how good disposable tanks have performed. With the Lumi i struggled to get much flavour, now don't get me wrong before mesh coils became all the rage i would be saying the flavour with the Lumi was ok but it has a mesh coil installed and compared to the other disposable tanks it's quite a way off. I do like the fill method with the Lumi but i also thought the airflow would be favourable but wide open it wasn't the smoothest and seemed to get rougher as i closed the airflow down to have 2 holes per side and then one.

Lunar Mod Specs and Features:

Size: 89.7 x 44 x 25mm
Chipset: Advanced AS Chip
Resistance Range: 0.1-3.0ohm
Material: ABS material
Mode: Bypass in Green Light/3.5V in Blue Light/3.2V in Red Light
Battery: dual 18650 cells (not included)
Low voltage warning: 3.2V±0.1V
Maximum output voltage: 4.2V
Longest vaping time: 10s
Working temperature: -10-45℃
Stand-by current: Less than 10uA
Durable and lightweight MOD with ABS material
Advanced AS chip for safe and stable vaping
Three output modes available
Multiple safety protections
Thread: 510
Colours: Black, Red, Blue, White

Fitting The Battery/Batteries

The Lunar can operate with one or dual 18650 batteries as they are in Parallel rather than in series so whether one or dual batteries are installed in Bypass you still only get 4.2V with a fresh battery/batteries which decreases in power as the battery life decreases in the usual manner. To fit your battery/batteries one side of the device has a removable panel with a notch each side to help with it's removal. Both batteries (if installing 2 batteries) are both fitted positive down but disappointingly the orientation is marked Black on Black and really needs to stand out more. There is a battery ribbon fitted which is a pro as is how securely the panel snaps shut, absolutely no movement whatsoever, cracking job!

Operating The Lunar

The Lunar is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button to turn on and off and after completing the operation confirmation is given by 3 flashes from the LED that flash in the current mode of operation colour. The Lunar is a simple wattage only device but has 3 different modes which are bypass, constant 3.5V or constant 3.2V. To change between modes is 3 clicks of the fire button, Bypass is indicated by the LED lighting Green, 3 more clicks changes the mode to 3.2V indicated by the LED lighting Red, 3 more clicks changes the LED to Blue which indicates the mode is 3.5V and another 3 clicks takes you back to bypass. When changing modes the LED stays on in the corresponding colour for 3 seconds, also it lights up the mode colour when vaping. The device also uses the LED for battery status indication, which is indicated by what colour the LED lights up when pressing the fire button twice quickly, the light stays on for 2 seconds in the current status colour. When the LED lights Green the battery is between 70% and 100%, when it lights Blue it's between 31% and 69% and when the LED lights Red it's 30% or lower. As usual the device has all the protections you would expect which are indicated by various flashes of the LED if they kick in.

Protections

10 Seconds Cutoff
Short Circuit Protection
Low Battery prompt
No Atomizer Prompt
Over-heat Protection
Battery Replacement Prompt

My Experience Using The Lunar

I have already given my verdict on the Lumi tank which i just don't get on with but it's not a deal breaker as at only £13.95 ($17.74) it's worth it even if you just want the mod. The Lunar when i first handled it and felt the cheap plastic finish i really didn't like it but as i tried the device it grew and grew on me. Despite the plastic feel of the device the fire button is very nice being very similar to the one on the Aspire Zelos with a silent cushioned click and not the plastic sounding click i was expecting. The Lunar fires without delay and i had no misfires i just found it a reliable performer and can see it being a handy device to get a good vape while not really worrying about it getting damaged or lost. I'm not really a fan of bypass mode on a device but i like the fact it has 2 constant wattage settings and used the device with a couple of RTA's and a couple of RDA's with builds that were between 0.26ohm (the lowest build) and 0.41ohm (the highest build) and all vaped really well on the Lunar. As a main device i want more adjustability but others that just like things as simple as possible would be interested in the Lunar especially as it can run off 1 battery or 2 for increased battery life. The Lunar will only accommodate up to a 25mm atty before overhang and an atty which overhangs in my opinion looks particularly ridiculous with the double barrel form factor of the mod. I personally never recommend charging batteries inside a device so having no USB port is not an issue to me but does go as a con has some people rely on charging inside the device, i also do not like the fact there is no visible venting. I used the device with both 1 and dual batteries and it seemed very efficient giving life more like i would expect from a 21700 device.

Very ergonomic form factor
Lightweight
As pocket friendly as dual battery devices get
No rattles
4 colour options
2 Constant voltage settings or bypass
No movement whatsoever with battery panel
Battery ribbon
Very nice fire button with cushion like quiet click (like on Aspire Zelos)
Fires instantly
Use with one or dual batteries
Efficient (seemed very good battery life)
Mode indication
Battery status indication
Multiple protections

Cons

Cheap feel to device
No TC or features
No USB (although wouldn't recommend charging in a device anyway)
Atty's over 25mm will overhang and look ridiculous
No Visible venting
Lumi tank i feel lacks flavour
Lumi tank rough airflow
Only one disposable tank included

I would once again like to thank Pearl from Cigabuy for supplying the Digiflavor Lunar Starter Kit with Lumi Tank for the purpose of this review.

https://www.cigabuy.com/authentic-digifl...14470.html

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
Completely agree about disposable plastic tanks etc, though a small contribution to the huge global plastic waste problem, it all adds up. Disposable pods, carts and tanks are not a sustainable product, are not recyclable and do not breakdown in the environment in the way that the metal & cotton used in coils eventually will if put into land fill or casually dropped somewhere..

I like the way that pod/cart device manufacturers seem to be gravitating toward replaceable coils. Personally I can't support the use of very limited life carts, tanks, pods or even batteries for that matter, it's just the wrong direction to go.

/rant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread