Digiflavor Pharoah RTA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Well.. That was my fault for being cheap and getting a clone version.

I tried several different ways to wick. From rip trippers to djlsb and didn't have an issue, but the flavor wasn't quite there. I decided to wick it like a normal tank, no folding or tucking the wick and it vapes way better now. Huge flavor and clouds, plus no leaking. My coil is a 3mm fused Clapton mounted legs up so the coil sits closer to the air channel, not wick thickness. 60/40 or 70/30 vg/pg juice, can't remember exactly since I DIY my juices and terrible and labeling.
It'll either leak or dry hit. Trust me. No way around it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

BlackCRX

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Vancouver Canada
Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It'll either leak or dry hit. Trust me. No way around it.

Pretty odd as I've not had a single dry hit, and other than leaking the very first time I built it. The two tanks I have in my daily rotation are dry as a bone, even sitting overnight with the jfc open on my mods. Sorry you have so much trouble wicking this tank, but trust me, it's not a leaker with proper wicking.

Vaperx

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2016
Don't want to jinx myself but so far so good. I'll try some 50/50 mix tomorrow and see if it leaks.
So let me get this straight. You were having problems with your Pharoah and we're complaining about it but in fact you bought a Clone of the Pharoah? That's some funny .... lol.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8

BlackCRX

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Vancouver Canada
So let me get this straight. You were having problems with your Pharoah and we're complaining about it but in fact you bought a Clone of the Pharoah? That's some funny .... lol.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8
I wasn't complaining per say. I was simply asking for help with my situation where temp control wasn't working correctly.

When temp control wasn't working correctly I simply used it in wattage mode.

I simply said the tank was over hyped.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Mine don't dry hit ever! No leaking to speak of either
I find the pharaoh is one of the easiest attys to wick ever

Pretty odd as I've not had a single dry hit, and other than leaking the very first time I built it. The two tanks I have in my daily rotation are dry as a bone, even sitting overnight with the jfc open on my mods. Sorry you have so much trouble wicking this tank, but trust me, it's not a leaker with proper wicking.

mine has been nothing but trouble. and i have a ton of RTAs and never have trouble. I wicked it 8 ways with the regular deck and 4 ways with the postless dual coil deck. it doens't wick very efficiently and it leaks. hell even last night with the JFC closed it still leaked on me. could be a seeping issue from the press fitted JFC. It still wicks way too slow for my liking. I like to chain vape and have a huge ... coil in it. Give me a few mins and I'll post my review up of it

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
This is with the jfc last night
ba0ab69e6c00ea6e780de2d7004bad1c.jpg

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Huh. A few thoughts.

First, I watched you review. As you stated yourself (~6:00 point?) that the wicking you chose with very little in the way of wick would result in leaking. I agree. If I wicked the tank the way you did I'd expect a mess too.

Why you get "dry hit city" with more wicking (which it really needs) is something I can't answer. I do know that with 23 pages of posts, and a whole bunch of people using it, I don't recall tons of dry hits, or leaking for that matter.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Even a reviewer. If you're not a fan that's cool. But it's not great when you're saying my experience isn't happening, along with the however many number of individual posters in this thread. Sorry you got all those dry hits no matter how you wicked it, but I'm no expert and maybe it's just beginners luck for me.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with your review, but while I think it's very good flavor, I'm not quite there to call it the best flavor RTA out there, but stuff like that is totally subjective.

Tintreach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Here is my review

Here are some observations I made on the video as I skimmed through it. Though this is just my opinion so it may have no merit.
  1. I think the coil is too close to the deck
  2. It is a 4mm coil with not much room to get air wrapped around it with that set up
  3. Coils spit juice everywhere, 20% of your coil surface is spitting juice straight back down the intake
  4. Your build is going to wick super well, maybe too well? This might add to the spitting (or dripping) if you are getting more juice to the coil than you can burn off. But that is some beautiful cotton right there ;)
  5. A really saturated vape will contain more unvaporized juice particles thus adding to condensation
I suspect your overnight leaking is just all the extra thin coating of juice (from what I have mentioned above) being taken over by gravity and finally making its way to the base. If you really think it has a leaking problem then I suggest you thoroughly clean and dry the base and deck. Then rewick it with some dry cotton and put it back into the tank with the JFC off. If you have juice on the base again after sitting overnight. If at this point you still have juice at the base, then it is a seating or o-ring issue. This isn't specific to this tank but all RTA tanks.

Now for some constructive criticism....
I haven't seen anything of effort from you to figure out the issue other than mucking around with the decks and wicking. If you are going to review something and run into a issue you probably should figure out why it has the issue. It also looks like this was the only tank you tested so there maybe there is something indeed wrong with it where the deck meets the base but we won't know until you dive into the issue or can confirm the issue between more than one device.

Need we forget these are $20 to $30 tanks that are mass produced in China!!!! So, there is a very very good possibility that some of these things will not work as expected. For what it is and what it costs..... its a really good atty and it is a solid design.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Huh. A few thoughts.

First, I watched you review. As you stated yourself (~6:00 point?) that the wicking you chose with very little in the way of wick would result in leaking. I agree. If I wicked the tank the way you did I'd expect a mess too.

Why you get "dry hit city" with more wicking (which it really needs) is something I can't answer. I do know that with 23 pages of posts, and a whole bunch of people using it, I don't recall tons of dry hits, or leaking for that matter.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Even a reviewer. If you're not a fan that's cool. But it's not great when you're saying my experience isn't happening, along with the however many number of individual posters in this thread. Sorry you got all those dry hits no matter how you wicked it, but I'm no expert and maybe it's just beginners luck for me.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with your review, but while I think it's very good flavor, I'm not quite there to call it the best flavor RTA out there, but stuff like that is totally subjective.

Yes that is true. I also stated i've tried every which way from the rip trippers way all the way down to barely nothing. I also did the same for the dual coil postless deck.

The dry hits, is vaporlock. I'd have to open the top to force it to wick when I used more cotton. Also i'm using pretty hefty 4mm ID coils, not sure of what others are using for their builds. I also chain vape like a mad man at high wattages lol. Really depends on the users. The best tanks keep up. this one, not so much unless I go the really small amount of cotton route. I felt it easier to use less and manipulate the JFC, then use more and keep unscrewing the top personally.

I agree everyone is entitled to their opinion for sure. and just cause I make videos doesn't make mine any better then anyone else's by any means. atomizers are pretty much all subjective. it's why I prefer reviewing mods since they are more rooted in fact. Mods performance can be specifically measured, atomizers not so much lol. I'm not saying your experience isn't happening, i'm just saying it's different from mine. It could be a manufacturing issue? I have the gold I think yours is black or SS? kinda like the original merlin. Mine never seeped on my, but i konw tons of people that had seepage. same with the pharaoh RDTA some people reported seepage. Mine never leaked a drop. Same for the girffin 25 plus. Well I think you see where i'm going with this lol

Funny thing is i am a fan, I say it right at the end that if i lost mine i'd buy another. I'll deal with the mess for the flavor payoff. Flavor is subjective for sure. I'm not saing ti's the best flat out, but it's up there. I still think the exo has the best flavor for me personally.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Here are some observations I made on the video as I skimmed through it. Though this is just my opinion so it may have no merit.
  1. I think the coil is too close to the deck
  2. It is a 4mm coil with not much room to get air wrapped around it with that set up
  3. Coils spit juice everywhere, 20% of your coil surface is spitting juice straight back down the intake
  4. Your build is going to wick super well, maybe too well? This might add to the spitting (or dripping) if you are getting more juice to the coil than you can burn off. But that is some beautiful cotton right there ;)
  5. A really saturated vape will contain more unvaporized juice particles thus adding to condensation
I suspect your overnight leaking is just all the extra thin coating of juice (from what I have mentioned above) being taken over by gravity and finally making its way to the base. If you really think it has a leaking problem then I suggest you thoroughly clean and dry the base and deck. Then rewick it with some dry cotton and put it back into the tank with the JFC off. If you have juice on the base again after sitting overnight. If at this point you still have juice at the base, then it is a seating or o-ring issue. This isn't specific to this tank but all RTA tanks.

Now for some constructive criticism....
I haven't seen anything of effort from you to figure out the issue other than mucking around with the decks and wicking. If you are going to review something and run into a issue you probably should figure out why it has the issue. It also looks like this was the only tank you tested so there maybe there is something indeed wrong with it where the deck meets the base but we won't know until you dive into the issue or can confirm the issue between more than one device.

Need we forget these are $20 to $30 tanks that are mass produced in China!!!! So, there is a very very good possibility that some of these things will not work as expected. For what it is and what it costs..... its a really good atty and it is a solid design.
I always like opinions :) they always have merit to me.

1) that's how you get best flavor, you want it right over the airflow. raising the coil = less flavor and i'm a big flavor guy.
2) Flavor is great with the big old coil. I run 6.3mm ID coils in my pharaoh RDTA as well. flavor is great and it wicks great with no leaks. and perfect for my series mechs and PWM mods
3) Very well could be for sure
4) Yup, only way I could get it to handle chain vaping. remember with a huge coil which is kinda the point of this RTA it needs to take in a lot of juice. much more then a 2mmID coil would need to be wet. Also thanks on the cotton :)
5) Very true

You can be very right for sure, I've wicked this thing 12 different ways between the 2 decks. everything except the rip trippers way leaked on me, but that one wouldn't wick at all. I've disassembled it over a dozen times cleaned it, checked all o-rings etc. It may just be a faulty one. I'm thinking about ordering a second one and seeing if it's different. Maybe a black one. I have well over 50 RTAs and never have leaking or seeping issues personally on any of them really. That's why this was all very odd to me.

Also that is true, Didn't really go into detail on why. Maybe that's something I'll look at in the future for reviews. Still not 100% sure why it leaks, I just know it does no matter what.

I agree it's a great design and great flavor. had it not been for leaks it would be in my top 5 for sure. I just couldn't personally recommend something that leaked on me when I never get leaks on anything. I'm sure you can understand where i'm coming from

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I have a black and a SS. I use 3.5 mm fused Claptons that are placed a little higher than your coil was. I'm not a chain vaper, especially at high wattage. Not a fan of that much heat. I can certainly can see how high temp, high chain vaping could dry the wick out. I noticed in your review your draws are also way longer than mine (I think, I didn't time it) as for me anything over 3 or 4 second pull would be way too long for me. Different vape styles will certainly provide different outcomes.

I think it's a good tank, which is why I have two of them. I think it's well made with really smooth threads. I would say the only thing that disappoints me are the posts from people about problems with the press fit bases separating after minor drops and whatnot. I had hoped with the effort they placed into the rest of it, they could have had a little more love for that base. It hasn't happened to me, but I now know that's something to watch out for. And given the size of the tank, especially with the extension tube on it, for me knocking it over is more of a risk than other tanks.

I'll also say that Rip's wicking method isn't necessary for keeping leaking at bay, just a decent amount of cotton to the bottom of the well filled from front to back, and pushed in so it's not right up against the juice hole. Believe me, when I saw how much cotton Rip was using I was pretty intimidated into thinking this was going to be a disaster for me, turned out not really different than my other builds except a bit more cotton than usual.

Reactions: Anthony_Vapes

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
I have a black and a SS. I use 3.5 mm fused Claptons that are placed a little higher than your coil was. I'm not a chain vaper, especially at high wattage. Not a fan of that much heat. I can certainly can see how high temp, high chain vaping could dry the wick out. I noticed in your review your draws are also way longer than mine (I think, I didn't time it) as for me anything over 3 or 4 second pull would be way too long for me. Different vape styles will certainly provide different outcomes.

I think it's a good tank, which is why I have two of them. I think it's well made with really smooth threads. I would say the only thing that disappoints me are the posts from people about problems with the press fit bases separating after minor drops and whatnot. I had hoped with the effort they placed into the rest of it, they could have had a little more love for that base. It hasn't happened to me, but I now know that's something to watch out for. And given the size of the tank, especially with the extension tube on it, for me knocking it over is more of a risk than other tanks.

I'll also say that Rip's wicking method isn't necessary for keeping leaking at bay, just a decent amount of cotton to the bottom of the well filled from front to back, and pushed in so it's not right up against the juice hole. Believe me, when I saw how much cotton Rip was using I was pretty intimidated into thinking this was going to be a disaster for me, turned out not really different than my other builds except a bit more cotton than usual.
I could try and raise up the coil but it'll cost me flavor. I do think it's a good tank. He'll i'm still vaping on it now i'll probably go the route of getting a black one and see if maybe mine is ....ed or the gold color ones are ....ed. .... they didn't even put the logo on the gold

Tintreach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I bet if you dropped the diam of the coil to a 3.5 or 3mm and raised it a bit you wouldn't notice much if any drop in flavor. If you feel that it got muted some some close up the bottom AFC and should put you back on par to where it was.

I've done so much racing and restoring over the years I kinda treat an atomizer like a carburetor finding that perfect air to fuel mixture.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
I bet if you dropped the diam of the coil to a 3.5 or 3mm and raised it a bit you wouldn't notice much if any drop in flavor. If you feel that it got muted some some close up the bottom AFC and should put you back on par to where it was.

I've done so much racing and restoring over the years I kinda treat an atomizer like a carburetor finding that perfect air to fuel mixture.
That's pretty much exactly what it's like. you'll notice the better flavor atomizers have chamber shapes similar to that of the combustion chamber of engines. while the ones that aren't as good on flavor are similar to the shape of the old "pre-hemi" engines.

I'll try it on my next build, i'll go a bit smaller and run a 3MM ID Coil and do 1 wrap less and raise it up a bit and see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread