Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    I'm beginning to think that I have a defective tank. Comparing your pic to my build I see nothing with mine that would cause the issue I'm having
    Hey Walter here's another pic of a build for you. I only wick with Rayon though.

20180202_161843.jpg

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Rayon seems to be a love it or hate it thing. I immediately loved it.

You don't have to read the entire rayon thread. Post a question, and you will receive Much informational goodness. That thread solved ALL my wicking problems after two questions and about four posts. They're helpful folks. Worth a look.

I don't think I will ever go back to cotton... But rayon plays to my wicking strengths, and really my life strengths... .Stuff the HELL out of the coil. LOL. In fact, I actually had to dial my rayon BACK a notch, which is somewhat unusual.

I have been vaping my ares... heavily.... for several weeks. I'm still on my first wick and the flavor remains amazing.

Rayon is just somehow more "forgiving" (at least so it seems to me). If I want to leak, I have to work really really hard at it. I have to give it my ABSOLUTE best effort, and even then I sometimes fail. I was pretty certain I'd severely underwicked my ares but it hasn't leaked a drop, despite dropping it a couple times.

If cotton is going not so well, you have nothing to lose (and perhaps much to gain) by trying rayon. It's magical stuff... Like most things at Sally's LOL.

Anna

Reactions: hittman

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 30, 2017
    Indiana

You don't have to read the entire rayon thread. Post a question, and you will receive Much informational goodness. That thread solved ALL my wicking problems after two questions and about four posts. They're helpful folks. Worth a look.

I don't think I will ever go back to cotton... But rayon plays to my wicking strengths, and really my life strengths... .Stuff the HELL out of the coil. LOL. In fact, I actually had to dial my rayon BACK a notch, which is somewhat unusual.

I have been vaping my ares... heavily.... for several weeks. I'm still on my first wick and the flavor remains amazing.

Rayon is just somehow more "forgiving" (at least so it seems to me). If I want to leak, I have to work really really hard at it. I have to give it my ABSOLUTE best effort, and even then I sometimes fail. I was pretty certain I'd severely underwicked my ares but it hasn't leaked a drop, despite dropping it a couple times.

If cotton is going not so well, you have nothing to lose (and perhaps much to gain) by trying rayon. It's magical stuff... Like most things at Sally's LOL.

Anna
    I'm sure I'll end up trying it out. If for no other reason than I'll get to say that the Siren kicked my a#* with two different types of wick

Janusz

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2018
    Illinois, USA

Anna

Where is the best place to buy rayon. I have Siren2 for couple days and also have problem getting good flavor from this RTA. I started vaping 3 months ago and Siren 2 is my first RTA so I am total newbe to building coils and wicking. I wish I could get close to great flavor my 0.7ohm bvc coil in my Nautilus2 provides. I have already bought bag of cotton bacon and also shiseido cotton. So far I own only 26 GA kanthal A1. I made 2 mm at 5 - 7wraps that provided 0.7 to 1.2 ohms but neither were even close to 0.7 ohm bvc coil in terms of flavor and smooth draw I enjoy with my Nautilus2. With 1.2ohm ramp up time was quite annoying. I find wicking much more chalenging that making coils. I wish screws in building deck were bigger because I am sixty years old and my vision is not great even with reading glasses. Probably I am putting too much cotton not only inside coil but overall as flavor is very muted and cotton tasty. I had no dry hits but when drawing hard I got a little burnt cotton taste. On pictures I see red "o" rings but on my Siren2 they are colorless ( I have red and blue as spare parts) should I install them to improve draw? Red and blue looks more rounded than those colorless installed.

Janusz

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    Where is the best place to buy rayon. I have Siren2 for couple days and also have problem getting good flavor from this RTA. I started vaping 3 months ago and Siren 2 is my first RTA so I am total newbe to building coils and wicking. I wish I could get close to great flavor my 0.7ohm bvc coil in my Nautilus2 provides. I have already bought bag of cotton bacon and also shiseido cotton. So far I own only 26 GA kanthal A1. I made 2 mm at 5 - 7wraps that provided 0.7 to 1.2 ohms but neither were even close to 0.7 ohm bvc coil in terms of flavor and smooth draw I enjoy with my Nautilus2. With 1.2ohm ramp up time was quite annoying. I find wicking much more chalenging that making coils. I wish screws in building deck were bigger because I am sixty years old and my vision is not great even with reading glasses. Probably I am putting too much cotton not only inside coil but overall as flavor is very muted and cotton tasty. I had no dry hits but when drawing hard I got a little burnt cotton taste. On pictures I see red "o" rings but on my Siren2 they are colorless ( I have red and blue as spare parts) should I install them to improve draw? Red and blue looks more rounded than those colorless installed.

Janusz
    Best place to get rayon is amazon. They sell boxes of Sally’s rayon but be careful because they also sell cotton in an identical box. The only difference is one says cotton while the other says rayon but it’s not real noticeable. You need to read the product description. I think the box is only $8-9 for a 40 foot spool housed in the box I spoke of.

vBDKv

ECF Veteran
  • Jan 6, 2018
    Denmark
    Here are the pics that I took during this morning's rebuild. I used one of the coils that came with the tank. It's 3mm and came out to .96 ohms. Based on what @vBDKv shared with me I'm pretty sure that I started with too much cotton. The flavor this time is still burnt at 12 watts on up. At 9 watts it doesn't taste burnt. In fact it has no taste at all at that low of a wattage.
    Thanks again for all the advice and suggestions. I really want to get this figured out because I am really enjoying MTL vaping and would like to find something that is easier to build than my Berserkers and that doesn't flood every time I top fill it.

I'm going to have to upload these pics in two messages
    That looks pretty stuffed to me, but it's pretty hard to judge by pictures. I'll be sure to upload some pics when I rewick which will be tomorrow as I see tiny droplets building up. Leak incoming :p

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 30, 2017
    Indiana
    That looks pretty stuffed to me, but it's pretty hard to judge by pictures. I'll be sure to upload some pics when I rewick which will be tomorrow as I see tiny droplets building up. Leak incoming :p
    It was pretty stuffed. Way stuffed. This morning I took your advice from earlier and cut a strip approx. twice the width of the inner diameter of my coil. My coil is 2.5mm so I cut a strip around 5 or 6mm. First thing I discovered was I didn't need to thin out my tails at all, just a slight fluff, cut to length and place. Second thing I've discovered NO BURNT TASTE. I am doing some serious knocking on wood here but so far that issue has disappeared. I'm getting no flavor as of right now but that's probably because I'm running at a much lower wattage than normal until things get settled in.
    Many thanks for the advice. You rock!

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 30, 2017
    Indiana

vBDKv

ECF Veteran
  • Jan 6, 2018
    Denmark
    It was pretty stuffed. Way stuffed. This morning I took your advice from earlier and cut a strip approx. twice the width of the inner diameter of my coil. My coil is 2.5mm so I cut a strip around 5 or 6mm. First thing I discovered was I didn't need to thin out my tails at all, just a slight fluff, cut to length and place. Second thing I've discovered NO BURNT TASTE. I am doing some serious knocking on wood here but so far that issue has disappeared. I'm getting no flavor as of right now but that's probably because I'm running at a much lower wattage than normal until things get settled in.
    Many thanks for the advice. You rock!
    Ah very nice :) Glad it's working out for ya! I vape my .85-1ohm coils at 18watts. YMMV of course.

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 19, 2012
    B'more MD
    Just got a Siren 2 yesterday and set it up today with the included coil and wicked with rayon. My initial reaction is... WOW! Amazing taste and I love the draw on the next to smallest hole.

If it continues to perform this well, it will be right up there with my #1 favorite... Ares. Only time will tell.

Thanks Anna, @stols001 for raving about how much you like it which made me decide to try it out. :)

Vape Magoo

ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2017
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread