Direct E-Cig

Status
Not open for further replies.

br5495

Old Man Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Liberty, Texas
Does anyone know anything about the Direct E-Cig?
Direct E-cig

If they are really what they appear to be, then I'd like to know more about them. The most unusual thing about them is that they have a 5 volt battery. The starter kit comes with an atomizer, but they also sell a cartomizer. That's unusual too, for an ecig of this type. Hopefully, someone has come out with something that I can recommend to a potential first time user.

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
$1/ml for high end juice (like Essence) is not totally out of line, but I'm sure they're just repackaging cheap China juice and overcharging for it. The 5V battery claim is also extremely suspicious. Either they're lying, or they're using two incredibly tiny Li-ion cells and the effective capacity is well under 100mAh. You might get a dozen puffs out of a battery like that, but not much more.

br5495

Old Man Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Liberty, Texas
$1/ml for high end juice (like Essence) is not totally out of line, but I'm sure they're just repackaging cheap China juice and overcharging for it. The 5V battery claim is also extremely suspicious. Either they're lying, or they're using two incredibly tiny Li-ion cells and the effective capacity is well under 100mAh. You might get a dozen puffs out of a battery like that, but not much more.
It could be that they are lying about everything, and that is really what I am trying to find out. If we can trust the following quote, their nicotine is from China and everything else is mixed in the USA:

"The founders of Direct E-Cig made the conscious decision to “Go American” with their nicotine solution because of the uncertainties many Americans, as well as the management of Direct E-Cig, have about the quality of Chinese made products. All of our nicotine is documented to be a minimum of 98% pure. All our flavorings and solutions are manufactured in the U.S.A. giving you the peace of mind that you are “vaping” an American made product. Our nicotine solutions are then created under strict standards in our U.S. facility and packaged by our American employees."

The kit has a wall charger instead of a USB charger, which is a good sign that the battery voltage is higher than other ecigs of this type. Since this whole shebang is alien to me, I won't even attempt to make a guess about time between charges, heheh.

JaYBoNeS

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2010
Vancouver
From their site:

"In order to offer you the best price on your cartridges and insure an uninterrupted supply, we will ship a one month supply 15 days after your original Starter Kit or Complete Starter Kit order and every month thereafter. Our minimum quantity is 40 cartridges per month for a total cost of $59.95 (a savings of $15.05 monthly) plus shipping and handling of $9.95. Each additional add-on of 40 will be billed at $59.95. If your vaping habits change and you want to adjust the number of cartridges you receive, please call customer service at 888-217-9026 and tell us what we can do for you."

SCAM. 40 carts per month. That wouldn't last me a week. For over 70 dollars every month! It's exactly like CleanSmoke or any of the other scams out there that only offer you the bare minimum for next to nothing and then continue to collect your money until you cancel it. Not worth it at all.

br5495

Old Man Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Liberty, Texas
Yep. I don't know anything about it, except what is written here:

5 Volt NIMH Battery for The Mako Maksi

If anyone knows anything more, I'd like to hear it (or see a link to the discussion).
Thanks for the link. Now I know there is such a thing as a 5 volt battery. Actually, it is a 4.8V battery @ 400 mah, but that's close enough. It is used with the Mako Maksi mod, shown in this video:

YouTube - Mako Maksi 5 volt edition.mov

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I may want to give it a try.

br5495

Old Man Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Liberty, Texas
The mako battery is four 1.2V 1/3AA NiMH cells heatshurnk together. There are a couple pages of discussion on why this isn't a particularly good setup, starting here.
Man, I wouldn't want to get sucked into THAT debate, heheh. My guess would be that the loaded battery should operate at more than the usual 3.6 volts for a reasonable length of time. Maybe not all that bad for a small device such as the Mako Maksi.

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
DH and I ordered two sets and we were aware of the 14 day time frame to cancel. I cancelled DH's but kept mine. I then ordered some of their Mboro juice, my favorite until today, and some attys and some carts to refill.

When I emailed to cancel the "savings shipments" of cartridges they refunded the full price of my starter kit. So basically all I paid was $9.95. I lucked out. There was never a charge for DH's kit as I cancelled it within the 14 days and sent the kit back; only initial shipping of $7.95 and cost to ship it back.

The battery does last a long time; several hours or almost a full day of "medium vaping", for whatever that means.

I contacted AquaVaporCig about compatible parts and in a very quick turn-around reply s/he stated, "Our CLASSIC 4081 is compatible."

I've been searching for this info and the only way to know is to order a part to see.

I've read a couple of places that the DirectEcig is compatible with 901 but that was guessing.

About the DirectEcig Mboro juice, 16 mg, way over priced of course. Until today's shipment from Freedom Smoke, it was the only juice that was not too tobacco harsh and/or too sweet. I've tried lots of tobacco flavors and all are too .... something, but mainly too sweet. I've been using it in my eGo for two weeks now. BUT, today FS American Spirit juice came in and it is WONDERFUL. It is very smooth, only slight tobacco taste and aftertaste and only a hint of ...... well it's hard to call it sweet but that's the closest thing.

I want to get another battery for the DirectEcig kit to loan out to friends or have as an emergency backup; haven't decided. It is not a bad vape but not nearly as great as the eGo. The little juice pads are pretty small so I'm getting some aquarium stuff for those. So far I have just been pressing them dry in a paper towel and dripping when I try something sweet or strong flavored. That's mainly what I use it for, dripping to try flavors. I've been washing the attys in 99.95% electronic alcohol that leaves virtually no residuals.

Edit: additional Info
-The battery, on end where atty attaches is marked K100615
-The diameter of the atty screw in part is ~ 10 mm
-The battery has four (4) air notches
-The threads are coarser than my eGo and DH's 801

alice

Last edited:

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
The charger is typical. It has a brick that plugs into a 120v wall socket and then a USB that plugs into to with ~6" cord to screw on adapter for battery.

The DirectEcig wall brick is labeled:
Switching Adapter
Model SAPA05003US
Input: AC 100-220 V, 50/60 Hz 0.2 A
Output: 5 V --- 500 mA

The Screw on battery adapter is labeled:
USB Charger
Input: 5-5.3 V DC 150 mA
Output: 4.5-4.8 V 120 mA

I'm not going to list all the specs but the charger for my eGo battery is similar except the screw on USB part is -- In: 5V DC 500 mA / Out: 4.2 V DC 420 mA

The eGo is 510 compatible but the eG0 battery charger is not supposed to be used on a 510 "standard" battery.

alice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread