Disappointed - Black mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

triangle

Oct 22, 2008
UK
Hi all - great forum!

Yesterday my first ever e-cig arrived. It is a black mini (bought from pillbox38 through ebay). I have to say, I'm really disappointed and I don't know if I expected too much or if one of the components is faulty.

I got the starter pack that comes with a spare battery and a single atomizer. Also 5 cartridges (and pillbox added another 5).

First disappointment was to realise that cartridges are being marketed misleadingly. No way is one cartridge equivalent to 20 cigarettes, or even 10. However - fair enough, now I know and I will buy liquid in future.

Second disappointment is that the batteries seem to only last around an hour. This makes the product totally unusable outside of my house. I'm finding that my first battery is dead before my second one has recharged.

Biggest disappointment is that I just cannot consistenly produce any sort of vapour or taste. The first two or three puffs from a new cartridge deliver a nice 'hit' with a respectable, if a little less than I hoped for, vapour and after that I'm struggling to get any vapour at all and the taste has gone.

What do you folks reckon - have I got something faulty (maybe the atomizer?) or is this just how it is? Cos to be honest, I feel like I've wasted £30 and would have been better sticking with real cigarettes or nicotine lozenges.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom you can provide.

triangle

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Hey Triangle! (cool username)

The 901 does take some time to fully understand and get consistent with. I'm assuming the hour use time comes after a good 4-8 hour charge right? Also, do NOT go by the green light on the charger. Keep it on for AT LEAST 4 hours! If the green light turns green after 15 minutes, still keep that baby hooked up for the full 4 hours.

If the atomizer is hitting good the first 2-3 puffs, then diminishing, its either the batteries or the user him/herself. GET LIQUID ASAP! Chances are, you are smoking your cartridges dry. They last maybe 50-60 puffs before needing a good fill.

Charger you batteries a full 4-8 hours, grab some liquid, then start the learning process over again.

Hope this helps bud
-CaSH

triangle

Oct 22, 2008
UK
Hey Triangle! (cool username)

The 901 does take some time to fully understand and get consistent with. I'm assuming the hour use time comes after a good 4-8 hour charge right? Also, do NOT go by the green light on the charger. Keep it on for AT LEAST 4 hours! If the green light turns green after 15 minutes, still keep that baby hooked up for the full 4 hours.

If the atomizer is hitting good the first 2-3 puffs, then diminishing, its either the batteries or the user him/herself. GET LIQUID ASAP! Chances are, you are smoking your cartridges dry. They last maybe 50-60 puffs before needing a good fill.

Charger you batteries a full 4-8 hours, grab some liquid, then start the learning process over again.

Hope this helps bud
-CaSH

Thanks for the quick reply Cash :)

I'll reserve judgement until I've tried the liquid I guess. I'll probably also go ahead and buy another atomizer just to reassure myself.

Funny thing is, I seem to get a little more taste and vapour if I put it in the side of my mouth and suck it like a pipe but still nowhere near the vapour I'm seeing everyone else produce (even if I do the 'primer puff' that I saw someone recommend).

It certainly could be my 'style of smoking' I guess. Anyone run a smoking class? lol

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
LOL ... No problem Tri ...

Give it a few days to break in. Some atomizers work great out of the gate, and yet others take time and several refills/cartridge exchanges to really get good vapor or throat hit. It will come ... it will come ... Patience is indeed needed, although, when you are dealing with someone's addiction, patience is the last thing on their mind! LOL

Good luck bud and keep us posted!

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
It's a pity that Pillbox lies about how long cartridges last, it's not fair to newbies to do that and otherwise he's a good trader.

Try drawing gently and slowly Triangle and see if that helps. Sometimes people try to smoke ecigs like cigs but they need different technique.

If you are using your ecig to quit smoking you might want to buy a second kit for spares, parts will break and you don't want to have to be without your ecig if you're using it to give up.

Alper

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
As cashmere has said i wouldn't give up on it just yet. the 901 is a proven performer so you either have a dud or it needs to be looked after a little more than the others.

Worst case scenario you get a new one that does perform!

Also know that the atomizers are relatively sensitive so look after it. smoke it without the cart at the end of the night to get any access liquid out of it and leave it on a piece of tissue.

The battery is the key, unfortunately batt technology hasnt gotten to the point were it is really reliable so you need to really be gentl with the batteries, change them for a good 4 hours because i think PureSmoker pre charge them.

if you a get a new Ecig and you decide not to use it very often, ive read that the best thing to do is fully charge the batteries and store them in a cool dry place.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
I'm tempted to just leave my battery charging overnight but I've heard this isn't safe as it could catch fire?

Poppycock (isn't that way they say in England?) LOL ...

I leave mine charging all night long. It hasn't happened to atleast 500-600 batteries over the past few months. Unless you are one of those random people with extremely bad luck, you will be fine! :thumb:

triangle

Oct 22, 2008
UK
Poppycock (isn't that way they say in England?) LOL ...

I leave mine charging all night long. It hasn't happened to atleast 500-600 batteries over the past few months. Unless you are one of those random people with extremely bad luck, you will be fine! :thumb:

Neat :) I'll go to bed and recharge whilst my battery does too, lol.

Mr.Darcy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2008
UK
it isnt just pillbox who lies about it...it 99% of suppliers...but i expect better from him...in fact,i feel a thread coming on...

triangle mate,take it from me...if youre getting a spare atomiser,get a white one...in my experience they are better vapour producers than the black,but the black batteries are better than the white ones...

just charge the batteries well,and sip it like a straw,dont take big drags like a ......

maybe your atomiser is too dry...try dripping 2 or 3 drops of liquid from a cartridge directly into your atomiser-onto the steel wool....pop on a fresh battery and a new cartridge..an see if it improves any...

smoking gnu

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2008
Wales
Hi triangle,
my experience with good e-cigs including the 901 is they work. They all die at some time but if it don’t work out of the box send it back. But you could try charging the batteries longer . If your still not getting good vapour contact pillbox, and he should sort it out for you. Its really a pain when your starting out and the kit lets you down. First impressions can put people off. You should be getting a good alternative to smoking tobacco , and you will when its sorted. You will need some juice to top or drip with.
Stick with it mate and good luck.

triangle

Oct 22, 2008
UK
it isnt just pillbox who lies about it...it 99% of suppliers...but i expect better from him...in fact,i feel a thread coming on...

triangle mate,take it from me...if youre getting a spare atomiser,get a white one...in my experience they are better vapour producers than the black,but the black batteries are better than the white ones...

just charge the batteries well,and sip it like a straw,dont take big drags like a ......

maybe your atomiser is too dry...try dripping 2 or 3 drops of liquid from a cartridge directly into your atomiser-onto the steel wool....pop on a fresh battery and a new cartridge..an see if it improves any...

Thanks Mr Darcy.

Hmm, I don't have enough posts to add links yet. What I was going to do was check whether the white mini ecigarette atomiser (dse901) will work the same as the black dse901b - I'm assuming they are standard sized and the b in the model number just stands for black?

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Thanks Mr Darcy.

Hmm, I don't have enough posts to add links yet. What I was going to do was check whether the white mini ecigarette atomiser (dse901) will work the same as the black dse901b - I'm assuming they are standard sized and the b in the model number just stands for black?

Bingo ... The (b) in the model # stands for Black ...

P.S. -- Don't listen to the crazy man Darcy. I think he's just color blind when it comes to atomizers. He thinks black is white, and vice versa. So he is really telling you to get another black one :D

LOL ... j/k

Mommyshann

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
Florida, USA
Disappointment in a black mini? I'm confused :confused: I just got my black mini today and I love love love love love it. Triangle, be sure you look through all the tips and tricks on these forums, even watch a few videos on how to (insert anything that has to do with e-cigs here). I'd honestly be totally lost without all those great videos and all the tips and tricks I've read on this site. As everyone has said, make sure you get spares, especially atomizers. And next most important thing is to get liquid asap! This can be a lifesaver when you run out of new carts with a day or so before your next shipment gets there.

Coldevil - for your own sake, back away from the flavors. I got cherry and apple today and I'm afraid I may OD on the nicotine before the night's out. They're so yummy I just can't put them down!

*Checks bank account and wanders back over to Steve's site*
"Do these flavors come in 0 nic? Surely they must." :oops:

Mr.Darcy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2008
UK
Thanks Mr Darcy.

yeah,same model ecig,different colour...all parts are interchangeable...

it will work out ok for you,dont worry mate...just takes a bit of fiddling around at the start sometimes...and theres a technique to learn...

triangle

Oct 22, 2008
UK
Really glad I found this place. To get so many helpful replies so quickly is really great for a noob. I'm away on holiday from Saturday so I will have to wait until I get back before I take delivery of liquid etc.

Mommyshan - yeah, I've watched Dusty and a few others demonstrate 'technique' and *think* i'm doing it right. I guess I'll find out when I have liquid and an alternative atomizer to try.

I will stick with it and try to get over these teething problems as I'm pretty sure I could happily 'vape' 0MG nicotine liquid before too long and be free from the clutches of Nick O' Teen's addictive lure ;)

Mommyshann

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
Florida, USA
You'll get there Tri, just keep trying! I've been smoking my e-cigs since this past Friday and in one day put down the regular cigs. I have tried a few times to smoke one just because I thought I wanted one. Each time they've tasted nastier than the last and I never get past 3 puffs before I put it out and go back inside to happily puff away on my e-cig. Now that I have my mini it's even more so. Best of luck to you and hang in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread