Disposable 510 USB charger mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
Don't throw away those USB chargers that come with the disposable 510's.

I was about to the other day, when I started to wonder if there was a use for them. Then I realized that 401's use the same threads as 510's but in reverse - so a 401 atty screws right into the disp. 510 USB charger. Only problem was that there was zero draw - it was airtight when connected. So, to get around that, I screwed a 510atty-->901batt adapter on to the USB charger, then I screwed a 901atty-->510batt adapter onto that. Then finally the 401 atty onto that.

It works when plugged into my Kensington USB power pack, and it would also function as a PT with a USB extension cord - now it just needs a switch so I don't have to plug it in and quickly unplug it to take a drag! :p I haven't gotten that far yet, and I don't know when I'll get around to it. I'm not sure what kind of switch would be best to use either.

Ultimately, whenever I get around to opening it up to put a switch in it, I'd like to replace the connector with a 510batt connector to get away from having to use 2 adapters and being forced to use a 401 atty. Or, does anyone know if a 401batt-->510atty adapter even exists?
(edit update: Ok, after some searching I see that such an adapter does exist, but not from any sources I'd want to do business with. HOOGIE!!! Can ya get some of these adapters? Preferably ones with notches for airflow, like on a standard 510 batt.)

If anybody decides to try taking this further than I have, please let us know how it goes!

For reference, here's a picture of the insides I jacked from Scottbee's "Battery Voltages - Surprise" thread:
263a1sg.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread