Distance of the coil from the post (RTA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronen123

Oct 20, 2018
It varies from atty to atty and coil to coil. Fluid dynamics can be messy. In the path of the airflow is the conventional wisdom. What I would do in this position is watch a few wicking videos and see how they do it

I think it would be in the pass of the airflow anyway because it comes from the side, and every video I watched is kind of different also..

Hi and welcome,
Have a look at this channel: Morten Oen
Which RTA are you building?
I start close to the airflow and reposition as needed.

Cheers
I

The Voltrove v2 mini.
I didn’t find bigger coils as recommended but I have a juggernaut 3mm ID inside.
Also will a bigger ID coil affect the flavor? I use virgin vapor organic all VG e juice and it has a little more thin notes than other flavors I guess

Thanks!

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
<snip>

The Voltrove v2 mini.

Thanks!
:thumbs:
IMO, a 30mm RTA is NOT designed for flavour, especially when using pre-built coils that are usually configured to fit within smaller rebuildables.

It might be helpful if you post a photo of your deck and build.

Cheers
I

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
:thumbs:
IMO, a 30mm RTA is NOT designed for flavour, especially when using pre-built coils that are usually configured to fit within smaller rebuildables.

It might be helpful if you post a photo of your deck and build.

Cheers
I
Some seem to be. Flavor from the aromamizer plus is excellent for example

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi,
In a large side airflow rta would you want (for flavor) to position the coils as close to the posts as possible so they’re would be just below the chimney or further away near the airflow?

Thanks!

For Flavor, I tend to Lean towards Coil(s) being Closer to the source of the Airflow. And the Airflow hitting more on the Lower Half than on the Upper Half of the Coil(s).

But sonicbomb's 14 words really are the Be All - End All when it comes to Rebuildables.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I've found the best performance comes from simple round wire builds in 22mm RDAs with reduced chambers, the worst from monster fancy coils in bucket sized ones. For me the density of the vapor and the mouth feel of the airflow are more important than flavor, you can always bump up the flavoring percentage if it's lacking.
RTAs need to be bigger overall to accommodate a reasonable sized chamber within the tank. A 22 mm tank will have a minuscule chamber.

If you have not already checked out Mortens videos then now would be a good time. He analyses the airflow of a given atomizer in a scientific fashion then films the airflow within the chamber. Interesting and informative stuff.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I agree with sonicbomb here. Experiment with your coil placement to find what you like for the build you use. How I like mine set up may not be how you would enjoy yours. Start with the coils close to the airflow, then adjust coil height (where the airflow hits the coil, try all three postitions of the airflow hitting top, middle, or bottom) then move the coil in by a small amount and repeat the coil height adjustment until you get the flavor and feel you are most comfortable with. I usually use my fist build in a new atty to find my favorite postition. Then, if I trimmed the first coil up too much when testing, I will install a new coil and place it where I liked it best.

With Morton's videos you will want to keep in mind that he is using coils that we will likely never use. He bases his testing around these coils, so a lot of what he suggests is pretty much invalid for us. But he does have some nice tidbits if useful info sprinkled in there. At the least it is helpful to get in the mindset to experiment with how to find your favorite airflow setup and how slight adjustments can effect the vape quality.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I agree with sonicbomb here. Experiment with your coil placement to find what you like for the build you use. How I like mine set up may not be how you would enjoy yours. Start with the coils close to the airflow, then adjust coil height (where the airflow hits the coil, try all three postitions of the airflow hitting top, middle, or bottom) then move the coil in by a small amount and repeat the coil height adjustment until you get the flavor and feel you are most comfortable with. I usually use my fist build in a new atty to find my favorite postition. Then, if I trimmed the first coil up too much when testing, I will install a new coil and place it where I liked it best.

With Morton's videos you will want to keep in mind that he is using coils that we will likely never use. He bases his testing around these coils, so a lot of what he suggests is pretty much invalid for us. But he does have some nice tidbits if useful info sprinkled in there. At the least it is helpful to get in the mindset to experiment with how to find your favorite airflow setup and how slight adjustments can effect the vape quality.
Possibly but I just can’t take a guy with an 18inch long beaded beard tail who speaks in such an affected way seriously. Perhaps it’s a personal failing

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Possibly but I just can’t take a guy with an 18inch long beaded beard tail who speaks in such an affected way seriously. Perhaps it’s a personal failing

Just Me. But I listened to a Bunch of His Videos once and they made a Lot of Sense.

Now Granted, I was Loaded Up with LOTS of Pain Killers at the time Post-Op from a surgery. And all the Other vids I watch they seemed to be speaking Really Fast.

But then again, those Simpson's reruns, from Season's 3 ~ 5, I watched also made a Lot of Sense. So it might have had More to due with the Pain Killers than actual Science?

So Who's to Really say?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I get what your saying. But I do take a little offense to the beaded beard tail thing. Mine is only about 8 inches though.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I get what your saying. But I do take a little offense to the beaded beard tail thing. Mine is only about 8 inches though.
Do you also sound like you’re trying to put on an accent and make extremely slow hand gestures like you’re trying to pretend to be some sort of mystical guru?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Do you also sound like you’re trying to put on an accent and make extremely slow hand gestures like you’re trying to pretend to be some sort of mystical guru?

No. That part is the part that I ment when I said that I get what you're saying. But I agree with Izan, his English is much better than my Norwegian, so I do give Morten some credit for that.

Z,
Fly your freak flag proud! :thumbs:

Morten's English is FAR far better than my Norwegian.
Vikings are just different.
cheers
I

I do, and always will. I've always been that guy that did things my way, regardless what anyone thinks or says.

• Love
Reactions: Izan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread