Distilled Water vs Alcohol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angela

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Hertfordshire, England
I always smoked pretty fast, and slowing down has probably been the hardest part of converting to the e-cig (the juice doesn't wick fast enough!)

As a result, I often make my liquid ever-so-slightly thinner than most commercial liquids so that it wicks to the atty quicker.

I have been using distilled water for this.

But to those of you who use alcohol:

1. what do you believe are the benefits of using alcohol over distilled water? and

2. is there any particular alcohol that you would recommend?

TheWrathOfSanity

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2009
Travis AFB, CA
www.myspace.com
If I ever decide to thin mine, I'd have to go with alcohol.
Why?
Because I live on a military instillation and not having alcohol in your home is like a southerner (which I am) not having sweet tea!

All joking aside, I'd try both.
Just from thought I would assume water sounds healthier, but alcohol seems like it would burn faster.
But, I never was that great in chemistry.

I'm going to stick with the try both answer...

As for what brand. Try a top shelf vodka first.

Last edited:

Angela

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Hertfordshire, England
Thanks for the replies, so in summary:
1. what do you believe are the benefits of using alcohol over distilled water?

Throat Hit

2. is there any particular alcohol that you would recommend?

(never even heard of 'ever clear' this side of the Atlantic) so the answer is 'Vodka'

If anyone has any differing opinions from the above, then let me know. Ta again :D

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
The purest grain alcohol that I have found is from Poland it is called, Spirytus Rektyfikowany Recitfied Spirit, 96% alcohol by volume (192 proof). I soak my addy's in it but recently used it to cut some glycerine when diluting JC's glycerine based juice with more glycerine.

I didn't notice any throat hit, but I did notice I got more vapor than with distilled water and the atty seemed as if it got hotter.

Big_Nige

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Kent, UK
www.mercier.org.uk
I often make my liquid ever-so-slightly thinner than most commercial liquids so that it wicks to the atty quicker. I have been using distilled water for this. But to those of you who use alcohol ...

Well I don't drink (no, really, I don't), so I haven't even thought of using alcohol :D

However AFAIK, most PV liguids have about 10% water in them, so another 10% should do no harm. It certainly works for me, and the carts fill up faster from the dropper bottle.

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
RavenII that's a good question. I can't drink, but here is what I would consider... if an average person vapes 2ml (40 drops) per day, and the 2ml was a solution that was diluted with alcohol...the solution would only at most (figuring 10%) be 4 drops for the whole day of vaping.

Also, note, LorAnns flavorings contain alcohol. So if using them then the general formula for flavorings, as I recollect, is 20% flavoring = roughly 8 drops.

And, depending of your ratio of PG to VG, no water or alcohol is required if the amount of VG is small enough.

BTW. The DIY dilution that I made, I have not consistantly vaped. I switch small bottles all day long because the variety helps me keep analogs at bay.

Anyone who should not have alcohol would be best to avoid any alcohol in anything.

Last edited:

taz3cat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2008
Port Arthur, Texas
I'm just curious, is it possible to cut the water and/or alcohol out of the equation? I ask because I've read that vaporizing alcohol can actually get you drunk quicker....maybe I'm paranoid, but ever since I got over my Vicodin addiction, I can't stand anything that alters my state of mind.

Cooking or burning alcohol gets rid of the alcohol. Can't get drunk on cook wine, beer, whiskey, brandy etc. just leaves flavor sometimes and sometimes nothing. A waste of good liquor some people would say.

waskel

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
127.0.0.1[Oregon]
That's a bit of an old wives tale. Contrary to popular belief, alcohol doesn't give up that easily.
A study conducted by the US Department of Agriculture’s Nutrient Data Laboratory calculated the percentage of alcohol remaining in a dish based on various cooking methods. The results are as follows:

Preparation Method Percent of Alcohol Retained
alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat......85%
alcohol flamed.......................................................75%
no heat, stored overnight........................................70%
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture.......45%
baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture:
....* 15 minutes.....................................................40%
....* 30 minutes.....................................................35%
....* 1 hour...........................................................25%
....* 1.5 hours.......................................................20%
....* 2 hours..........................................................10%
....* 2.5 hours........................................................5%