DIY 36mg flavoring, how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox3

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle, WA
Hi Folks,

My Lorann's just came in and I have the spreadsheets for cutting the 36 unflavored down but I would like some ~36mg with flavor and figured I'd ask here before wasting stuff.

I *suspect* that it is as simple as just adding the flavoring to the 36mg with no alcohol, water, PG or VG. Question is how much flavoring to add.

I do realize that it will be somewhat less than 36, but more or less is OK here.

After loading up my first attempt with 3 small crystals of menthol (~1/8"x1/8") and getting the top of my head blown off (5mg test batch, adding one crystal didn't hardly have any flavor :)) I wanted to ask before starting off.

Thanks very much for any suggestions, ideas, laughter :).

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
There is no clear cut answer. The different Lorann's flavorings vary in strength. It will also depend on how strong you like your juice to taste. Start with approximately 10% flavoring in whatever bottle you are using, and leave some space. If it's not how you like it, gradually add more until the flavor is acceptable to you. There are too many variables to give an exact percentage. Some, I use as little as 10% and others as much as 25%.

Your mileage will vary.

Fox3

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle, WA
Thanks Walrus and Flitzanu!

That gives me a good starting point to work from and somewhere in there will be the "sweet spot" :). Much appreciated.

Made a 5ml batch of orange cream this morning (down to 18mg) and it is pretty good, just added another 5 drops of the orange cream and I think I need to go a bit further.

36 mg TW unflavored: 50 drops.
Generic vodka...........: 5 drops.
Orange Cream..........: 25 drops
VG............................: 15 drops.
PG............................: 10 drops.

Recipe originally called for 10 drops alcohol and 15 drops of flavor. Originally did 20 drops and added 5 more. Better. Seems to have a PG undertaste, I think but still nice and fairly orangy :)

My double snus (2 packets) has been filtering out all day (bag busted at 15 seconds in the microwave) through a coffee filter, going to try that later.

Might catch up to Walrus soon ;-) LOL!

This is fun!

And special thanks to you Walrus, your posts and recipes are what inspired me to get into this :)!

Fox3

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle, WA
just another friendly tip...don't make 5ml batches :)

cut your recipes lower and start with 1 or 2ml batches, otherwise if you hate the flavor, you've just wasted a lot of juice :)

Thanks, it is surprising how much 5mL actually is :). That 5mL batch of vanilla menthol was certainly a waste, 'tis true :).

Will run another shot at the spreadsheet to get an idea of just what that entails.

MUCH appreciated :)!

viachy

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Sofia, Bulgaria
Fox3,

I just received 18 bottles of Loranns and will start the show tonight :)

I`m just wondering.....

I have 18mg Tobacco flavoured juice
but when I cut it with about 25% VG it loses amost all of its flavor....
So I`m not sure what is going on... everybody is cutting juice but no one complains from losing flavor....

What is the case here ? If I get 36ml nicotine str is it going to have stronger flavor so if I cut with 50% VG I`ll have 18 mg that just tastes right?

I`m a kind of confused...and will probably just try adding several drops of each Lorann flavoring to the 18mg tobacco flavored juice to see what will happen....

Wish me luck ! ;)

viachy

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Sofia, Bulgaria
Hmm this is so strange. I`ve read so many posts about cutting with PG/VG but no one complained from losing flavor... I tried several times vaping liquid that only has 25% added to it and the flavor is lost....

I guess I wont take the advantage of saving money... :)

I`ll just add the Lorann flavors to the 18 liquid that I have ;)

Cheers....

p.s. correct me if I`m wrong - I`ll keep an eye on this thread :D

Viachi-

mg strength is only the nicotine content, not flavor intensity.

It is in the mix that you adjust taste levels.

For instance
If you have 40% of your "nicquid" (mg dosn't matter)
and add 40% VG/PG
and 20% Distilled water, you get 40% flavor.

So try to cut your distilled, and add flavor

Fox3

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle, WA
As I understand it, admittedly being a rank newbie at this DIY stuff, and having read quite a bit here, the way to do this is to get unflavored in the strength desired and mix in the flavor to suitable proportions.

Adding VG and / or PG to an existing flavor will dilute the flavor and decrease the strength (there are spreadsheets somewhere on the forum that will calculate this for you (work just fine in OpenOffice too).

Took me a while to get that straight and the answer seems to be to get unflavored in whatever strength you desire and mix in your flavor of choice until you get what is good to you. I think you can also get different strengths of a particular flavor and mix those together to get various strengths and maintain the flavor (get 36mg and 0mg in a particular flavor and generate more of whatever strength you desire).

For those of us who do like tobacco flavors, I am not sure what the answer is as I have found no tobacco flavor for mixing.

What I am doing at the moment is trying out the Snus method of extraction using PG. I will say that so far I have not reached a suitable level of flavor as yet (OK, but not great). My last attempt was 2 Snus packs in ~1 oz of PG. The flavor is better this time but I am finding that I personally do not care for PG, it seems (to me) to have an underlying, as best I can describe it, slight metalic taste and vape isn't anything to write home about.

I am going to try it again with 3 Snus packs and using VG rather than PG and see what happens. Not in a rush here so I'll let it have at for a LOT longer than the 2 hour soak the original method called for. Not sure how it will turn out at this point but have no idea how else to find out :). I may have to soak the Snus packets in some vodka and then mix that in with the VG, really do not know at this point. From what I have read on the forums and assuming a 100% extraction of the nicotine that would give me ~1 oz (30mL?) of 18mg tobacco flavored juice, but I suspect the 18mg figure is probably wildly optimistic.

Qualifying this by saying that I am on day two of DIYing having finally accumulated most of the supplies to do so :).

Also, as a last thought, the idea put forth by Walrus (IIRC) is to get 36mg unflavored and either use it as it is by just adding flavor (will decrease strength to some ?smallish? degree) or mix PG and / or VG in to decrease strength which does stretch it depending on how much you dilute (I generally go for 18mg at this point) and make it much less expensive (30mL of 36 diluted to 18mg gives you 60mL of 18mG and more the further you dilute the strength).

At least I have finally gotten my head around vaping something other than tobacco flavors :). My DIY supplies have turned into a pile of stuff. PG and VG (need to start getting it in more than 4 oz size :)) and a pile of flavors: Bubble Gum, Orange Cream, Key Lime, Cheesecake, Strawberry and root beer from Lorann's and Cherry, Vanilla, Passion Fruit and Banana from Zenith's edible flavors collection. Not to mention :), piles of bottles, shot glasses for mixing, various size calibrated (and not) droppers, paper towels, smallish funnels and God only knows what else I might have missed listing :). Turned my electronics / computer repair / mod workbench into a chem lab :).

My experiment with the orange creme and VG last night is stellar! More and better to follow :) :) :) :)!

Hope this helps and anyone please feel free to jump in and correct anything I may be off base about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread