DIY e-liquid SCARY STUFF

Status
Not open for further replies.

accordeur

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2008
Ok, I've been researching how to make my own e-liquid. I have found a good source for food grade propylene glycol right here in Ottawa near where I live. It is available in different grades. 500ml will cost you 40$ to 100$ depending on the grade. So that's pretty cheap.

The next step is flavor, that's pretty easy, there is plenty of extracts available for sale, as long as they are either alcohol or propylene glycol based.

Now, for the nicotine. DANGEROUS STUFF!!! Below is 2 examples of what I found on the net. They all pretty much say the same thing. Basically boil tobacco in water or a solvent (solvents are flammable so very dangerous, not recommended) until you get a syrup. Then filter it. The resulting syrup is VERY POTENT POISON. Just getting it on your skin is dangerous. I still feel like trying my hand at this, but I wish I had the recipe and procedure from e-cig. Maybe if we all of us who are adventurous get together, we can figure it out? Here are the examples from the net.

1) The second answerer uses an out of the lab book type method here, but this is not necessary.

Firstly, xylene many other solvents are carginogenic, causing genetic point mutations (that may mean cancer) after metabolism by cytochrome p450 in the liver. This solvent is not safe. I do realize that coffee is decaffeinated with this stuff. However, I also realize that this is a process being carried out at home.

Water alone will do the job. Just at tobacco to hot water, HEAT it to boiling, strain off solids, and then filter the stuff.

Boil down the remaining water until it is supersaturated. Then, let it cool slowly. Add a seed crystal or scrape the sides of the smooth container with a glass stirring rod (or a spoon if nothing else is available).

Filter the crystals that form in the solution with vacuum filtration. A good way to do this is by putting a coffee filter in a funnel, then putting the funnel spout-down in a running wet/dry vac.

And don't eat it. Remember it is poison.

2)Pyrex beaker. Put the content of a rolling tobacoo pack in it. Put isopropyl alcohol halfway the height of the tobacco.

Put an aluminum foil on top of the beaker, heat gently until you obtain a slime-like solution. Remove and discard the aluminum and the tobacco. Allow to evaporate for 15 mins.

You now have pure nicotine. Take 2/3 drops with an eyedropper, put them on your finger and think about your life, you will only have about 5 minutes left

NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT THAT EXTRACTION. I did once and i accidentally spitted like HALF of a drop on my hand : I was dizzy, vomiting, unable to remain up or concentrate and had a monstruous disorienting headache, FOR 1 HOUR.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Actually, chemistry is scary. So forget chemical experiments. If you want crack nicotine, there's a whole topic here on how to make it. I don't anticipate doing so.

But if you cook tobacco, the fluid that you end up with will likely be quite weak in nicotine. We have no way to knowing the strength, but Dr. Loi said it likely isn't much. Certainly not likely to approach the 24mg per ml that is the "extra high" that I have been using for three months. It's mostly for the tobacco flavor, that can then be mixed with Bickford flavors. I've smoked my own liquid, made from cooking 5 grams of nasal snuff. And I'm still alive.

accordeur

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2008
TB you wrote

But if you cook tobacco, the fluid that you end up with will likely be quite weak in nicotine.

Here is what wikipedia says

Nicotine is a hygroscopic, oily liquid that is miscible with water in its base form. As a nitrogenous base, nicotine forms salts with acids that are usually solid and water soluble. Nicotine easily penetrates the skin. As shown by the physical data, free base nicotine will burn at a temperature below its boiling point, and its vapors will combust at 308K (35°C or 95°F) in air despite a low vapor pressure. Because of this, most of the nicotine is burned when a cigarette is smoked; however, enough is inhaled to provide the desired effects.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
All true. The question is how much nicotine in a specific amount of tobacco is released into the water it's cooked in. The formula I used -- and noted was from another forum -- called for 10 grams of tobacco and a cup of water. I halved that. It stinks the whole house up while "cooking," of course. A couple of us from this forum did some private message exchanges with Dr. Loi to see if we could overdose on the nicotine produced this way. He thought it unlikely we'd get much nicotine at all. After using it, I agree. I smoked it numerous times -- and felt nothing approaching nicotine intoxication (and snus has given me that more than a few times).

Pure nicotine is deadly poison. One of the deadliest. You're right about that. It was what was supposed to be used on the tip of an umbrella to assassinate Fidel Castro back in the '60s. Never attempted, but the idea was to penetrate Castro's skin during an accidental "bump" with the umbrella. Pure nicotine would have killed him. So we don't mess with that stuff (sold as BlackLeaf 40 insecticide - 95% pure in some formulas that have been used).

If I thought I were doing something dangerous with this cooking, I wouldn't do it. Hope that's not the case! And I still want to get off nicotine using the e-devices. My target date is the end of August.

Jason

Unresolved Status
Apr 6, 2008
chicago 'burbs
Forget the work, you can buy laboratory grade nicotine (at least here in the US). There are multiple US vendors which should ship it as long as you have a business address to send it to. They'll ask for you to fill out a short form so they can say they're not being irresponsible, but that shouldn't be a problem. Last I heard it's not a controlled substance so there's nothing that I know of to stop you.

http://store.galladechem.com/shared/Sto ... oducts.asp

accordeur

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2008
Well, it's not that much work at all. I just did a batch. I took 10 grams of tobacco and just enough water to soak it. I brought that to a boil and then filtred it with a coffee filter. I then simmered the liquid until it became about as thick as syrup. I ended up with about 10 ml. I bought regular clubhouse peppermint, almond and lemon extract. They come in 47ml bottles and are propylene glycol based. So I added 4 ml of the syrup to 1 bottle. I then dripped it into my 22$ e-cigar and voilà!!! Plenty of taste and vapor and I think I am getting nicotine. Could be psychological but who cares, I'm not smoking cigarettes and I'm not about to run out of e -liquid. I am very pleased with myself.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Now THAT'S scary, Jason! No individual should ever think of working with pure nicotine. I didn't even know it could be ordered in the U.S. until I followed your link. The fact sheets for even the 40% solution make it clear that a person needs a HAZMAT suit to handle it. It can kill if it gets on the skin, much less inhaled or ingested. And it has to be shipped at costly rates because it's such a hazardous material.

Nasty stuff. Stay away.

Until I saw that, my biggest worry was that China might mess up the E-Liquid some day with too much nicotine. That could be a fatal mistake (and, as we've read, China DOES mess up). I've never seen where the pure E-Liquid comes from, but a Web site shows that the filled cartridges are made in Cuba and sent to China. Do the words "Cuban embargo" come to mind? They should. Americans can't even buy Swedish snus with Cuban tobacco being sold on the Internet.

My DIY idea was to create tobacco flavor, with some nicotine, that could be used to "cut" the tasteless E-Liquid we can all buy at "extra high" strength. Then I'd add a strong dose of flavor for a tastier smoke. I'd never use commercial nicotine, and can't imagine anyone foolish enough to handle the stuff sold by this chemical company.

Accordeur, you did good. Congrats. The only difference in what I do is that I never boil the liquid. Just simmer for a half hour or so before filtering and simmering a bit more.

Jason

Unresolved Status
Apr 6, 2008
chicago 'burbs
TropicalBob said:
Now THAT'S scary, Jason! No individual should ever think of working with pure nicotine. I didn't even know it could be ordered in the U.S. until I followed your link. The fact sheets for even the 40% solution make it clear that a person needs a HAZMAT suit to handle it. It can kill if it gets on the skin, much less inhaled or ingested. And it has to be shipped at costly rates because it's such a hazardous material.

Hazmat suit? Ebay has you covered.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... category0=

Okay... I kid, I kid. I will officially go on the record as stating I think it's generally a bad idea for people to screw with stuff that can kill you if you touch it. That said, I'll also admit to giving it more than passing thought a couple weeks back when I found the suppliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread