DIY inexpensive rubber Provari protective grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I have my new chrome provari and it's awesome for around the house and looks great when I want to show it off but I go camping in the desert and would hate to see my nice chrome mod all scratched and dinged up when I take it to a rough place. I tend to be lil rough on things and don't really mind but I came up with this from a suggestion on another thread and I went out and looked at my dirt bike's throttle grip and what do ya know.....the Provari slides in like it was made for it.

Material:
rubber "throttle side" dirt bike grip, tons of styles and colors. $5 - $20

tools:
razor blade or X-Acto knife, a lil creativity.

time:
maybe .5 - 1 beer job or less

enjoy:
20120822_154416.jpg

20120822_161407.jpg

20120822_161517.jpg

20120822_161608.jpg

Yamaha blue through and through!!!!!!:headbang:

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
the cool part about the motorcycle grip is that the throttle tube fits just so perfectly.
slides on just right but still easy to take off when you want to.

Nice solution.

BTW, I can't recommend Sugru enough for all sorts of DIY needs including grips, holders, stands, etc. for vaping gear. Great stuff. -Magnus

man that stuff is kool!

Zooker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2012
Washington State
WOWZA!!! What a great idea! I just ordered my husband a Provari yesterday--he keeps killing his Twist batteries, and I just want him to have something nice, and then I sat here racking my brain for some way to give it a grippy feel with some protection and BLAMMO! Here you are with this smokin' hot idea--annnnnnnd, he just happens to be a huge motocross rider--annnnnnnnnd a Yamaha guy, so I'm going to see what's rollin around in that stash of his out in the garage. I'm pretty sure there's a new pack of handgrips out there, but if not, we'll just head to some of the shops around here and he can pick his custom cover, and then I'll have one to match for mine!

Got any tips as to how you got the display and button to line up with your cutouts for them so neatly? Thanks again for sharing this!

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
WOWZA!!! What a great idea! I just ordered my husband a Provari yesterday--he keeps killing his Twist batteries, and I just want him to have something nice, and then I sat here racking my brain for some way to give it a grippy feel with some protection and BLAMMO! Here you are with this smokin' hot idea--annnnnnnd, he just happens to be a huge motocross rider--annnnnnnnnd a Yamaha guy, so I'm going to see what's rollin around in that stash of his out in the garage. I'm pretty sure there's a new pack of handgrips out there, but if not, we'll just head to some of the shops around here and he can pick his custom cover, and then I'll have one to match for mine!

Got any tips as to how you got the display and button to line up with your cutouts for them so neatly? Thanks again for sharing this!

I put the provari into the grip and marked how far down into the grip it went, then pulled it out and set it next to the grip down to that mark and made the hole for the button. then did the same for the screen, the nice part is that the screen is 180* of the button. I marked the grip with a sharpie and started cutting lil bits at a time until it was just right. I know I couldhave done a lot better but hey, these are cheap. I will prolly make a bunch more and be sure to post em.

Yeah, Yamaha's are kool...:toast:
2011-01-28121117.jpg

meeems

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2011
Wisconsin
ROTFL!!!!!!!!...........almost spewing coffee outta my mouth'...haahahahah good one dDubs..

I actually wanted to know the exact same question, i found this bike shop a mile away from me. : Bike Zone Sales - The Bike Zone
If not, would any motorcycle shop around my area work? there's one two blocks away.

How come every cool thread I find, meems has already been here? Hahaha would a bmx bike grip work, or is the grip from a dirt bike larger in diameter? I'm gonna have to get one, functional and looks cool to boot!

meeems

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2011
Wisconsin
I really love the green and pink ones. i think that green would almost glow in the dark its soo freakin bright.

I put the provari into the grip and marked how far down into the grip it went, then pulled it out and set it next to the grip down to that mark and made the hole for the button. then did the same for the screen, the nice part is that the screen is 180* of the button. I marked the grip with a sharpie and started cutting lil bits at a time until it was just right. I know I couldhave done a lot better but hey, these are cheap. I will prolly make a bunch more and be sure to post em.

2011-01-28121117.jpg

meeems

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2011
Wisconsin
Your very smart getting him a Provari, he's gonna freak when he get its. which type and color did you get him?, i've got the standard v2 with 18650 extension, in satin. i have never loved anything materialisticly more than my Provari. wait til he gets it maaan'...wish i was there to see...now he can drop it all day long if he wants. i have, not by choice of course,...just seems to like slipping outta my hand on a freakin daily basis almost. thus the reason i stalked spraintz into this thread.

Zooker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2012
Washington State
Your very smart getting him a Provari, he's gonna freak when he get its. which type and color did you get him?, i've got the standard v2 with 18650 extension, in satin. i have never loved anything materialisticly more than my Provari. wait til he gets it maaan'...wish i was there to see...now he can drop it all day long if he wants. i have, not by choice of course,...just seems to like slipping outta my hand on a freakin daily basis almost. thus the reason i stalked spraintz into this thread.

LOL!! I don't know if he'll freak when he gets it, because I'm the one who orders all the vape stuff for us, and he doesn' read any forums, so basically all he knows is what I tell him. He doesn't know the difference between an eGo and a Provari, bless his heart. He is a Twist killer though, and I just think this will be a better deal in the long run.

I have a silver satin v2 with the 18650 extension too, which I bought myself for my birthday back in May. Yesterday I ordered him one of the marked down blemished black chrome v2's with an 18650 extension. I reasoned that "yeah! it'll already be blemished when he gets it, so that first drop won't be such a heartbreaker!"

I've dropped mine too, cats knock it over, etc...but he's worse with the stuff than I am, and I think this handgrip thing is going to be so great!

I'm super stoked for it to get here so I can give it to him!

Zooker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2012
Washington State

2011-01-28121117.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for the tips, I can't wait to get started, I didn't see any grips out in the garage, so as soon as his Provari comes we'll go shopping for some! I'd love to see more pics as you make some more too! Your garage looks alot how ours used to look when all the boys had bikes, now DH has one dirtbike (yamaha) and a streetbike (Honda), my son has a supermoto--he and my nephew sold their dirtbikes when they gave up motocross racing after my son got hurt.

meeems

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2011
Wisconsin
show him the price of the provari and let him feel it, and then show him the price of the twister, then he might get it'.. hehehehe

Tonite has been sooo freakin weird', i took a break from posting and went outside, and right when i did, a kid who use to live around here, drove up to me on his mountain bike, and of course the first thing i did was check out his grips and went in and grabbed my provari and ran back out, and checked his grip while on his handle bar and i'll be danged if that thing wont fit, i think it might be too big, really not sure, we couldnt get it off...but how ironic was that? right after leaving this thread, that went down'....bizarre

LOL!! I don't know if he'll freak when he gets it, because I'm the one who orders all the vape stuff for us, and he doesn' read any forums, so basically all he knows is what I tell him. He doesn't know the difference between an eGo and a Provari, bless his heart. He is a Twist killer though, and I just think this will be a better deal in the long run.

I have a silver satin v2 with the 18650 extension too, which I bought myself for my birthday back in May. Yesterday I ordered him one of the marked down blemished black chrome v2's with an 18650 extension. I reasoned that "yeah! it'll already be blemished when he gets it, so that first drop won't be such a heartbreaker!"

I've dropped mine too, cats knock it over, etc...but he's worse with the stuff than I am, and I think this handgrip thing is going to be so great!

I'm super stoked for it to get here so I can give it to him!

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
What did you use to get the vent hole in the bottom of the grip reamed out to match the vent on the Provari cap? Will a large nail work?

I pushed through the bottom with a small screwdriver to make a hole, then squeezed the bottom sorta folding the circle-bottom of the grip in half right at the hole, the used the razor blade to sorta slice out the hole. Kinda butcherd the first crack at it but it's not too bad, at least there is a hole ;)

Zooker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2012
Washington State
show him the price of the provari and let him feel it, and then show him the price of the twister, then he might get it'.. hehehehe

Tonite has been sooo freakin weird', i took a break from posting and went outside, and right when i did, a kid who use to live around here, drove up to me on his mountain bike, and of course the first thing i did was check out his grips and went in and grabbed my provari and ran back out, and checked his grip while on his handle bar and i'll be danged if that thing wont fit, i think it might be too big, really not sure, we couldnt get it off...but how ironic was that? right after leaving this thread, that went down'....bizarre
Bwahahaha! Now you'll be checking out handgrips everywhere ya go...maybe tomorrow a kid on a tricycle will ride by, and you'll be all "hey kid, com'ere I need to check out your handgrips!" Walking into the grocery store, you'll slow down at the bicycle rack outside the door and browse the handlebars....lol

Yep, going to have to show DH the price of the Provari to make sure he tries at least a little bit harder to not be careless with it, especially careful not to lose it. He's constantly misplacing his remaining Twist battery here or there around the house, and he's like a maniac looking for it while having his nic fit...I had to put a battery in my pink BB last week to get him by until we could find it one day--he was having an attack just thinking about having to leave the house with a pink mod. Ya know, I've misplaced my provari momentarily every now and then, and I think they should come with a little "locate" beeper like my cordless phone has, now that would be handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread