Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Might jump in here. If i sub ohm 8mg freebase where should I start with nic salts (0.4@50w). Some say more, same etc.
:blink: Why would you do that?
Salts are generally for getting giant amounts of nicotine into MTL devices. You could use it to increase your nicotine in DL I suppose, but it seems a bit counter productive. Salts work differently on different people. The amount of drop in throat hit seems to be variable, though that may be different batches of base as much as anything else. If you vape 8mg you could probably vape 10 or 12 mg salt without trouble.
My personal experience with salts has been not that great. They stop the throat hit but not the coughing. Also they make my lungs feel heavy. YMMV though of course.

dangkhoa02106

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
VIET NAM
@ Vapntime : I think you should use around below 20mg. But you should reduce the wattage at first. It is very smoothies but be careful it can knock you down just after two or three puffs. It feel very similar like you use a traditional cig but it is not harsh just like freebase juice. For me, NIC salt is awesome with MTL rta at low wattage and a pod system of course. I think 0.4 ohm at 50W is just so high for NIC salt.

Reactions: Vapntime

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
I have so far tried two brands of Nic Salts Hiliq and a brand from a company in NZ. called Mixology. in DL even 15mg knocks me onto my ..... However using a Nautalis Pod at 20 mg MTL is not enough to give me a good Nik hit.

Pods seem to need stronger mg/ml mixes.

I am waiting for my Nude Nicotine Salts to arrive. I am told by many people that this brand is by far the best for both MTL & DL.

A note of Hiliq Salts. These seem to be somewhat weird as they foul up coils and wicks very fast in DL devices even at low wattages. In the Nautalis Pod they are fine.

My conclusions are that their brand, (Hiliq) are for low wattage pods only and if you are interested in DL devices do not use Hiliq Salts.

I have never been a fan of pods, with the exception on the JOYTECH Penguin and Dolphin but alas it seems both of these beauties have been discontinued. I have tried asking JOYTECH as to what they have been replaced with. No reply.

Nic Salts in that pod at 20mg/ml will give you quite a buzz if you use their 0.2 ohm coil and try DL. The Coil fouling of Hiliq Salts in that pod persists.

Final conclusion on the two brands tried so far, Nic Salts are for MTL pods only IMHO at low wattage.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Might jump in here. If i sub ohm 8mg freebase where should I start with nic salts (0.4@50w). Some say more, same etc.
Yep its just to try, see if there is any different effect, duration etc.
If, you are trying salts, for comparative purposes... and, you intend to use the same hardware, and set-up... it seems logical to me, to use the same (8mg/mL) nic level. Then, based on your experience/perception, you can decide to increase/decrease as desired.

The high concentrations, commonly seen in small pod systems (like the Juul); is simply necessitated by their inherent low power, low vapor production. The vaper is getting less vapor... therefore, the vaper requires a higher beginning nicotine concentration (in the vapor) in order to feel an equivalent level of satisfaction.

Keep in mind; Big Tobacco sought to add ingredients, to create/release freebase nicotine (vs. salts; which is tobacco's natural nicotine state); because is was more immediately bio-available, and satisfying (and therefore, sell more product).

I personally accept very little of the "urban mythology;" that seems to revolve around nic salts' popularity today. As a personal user of both (freebase, in my regular vape gear @ 18mg/mL; and salts, in two different pod systems @ 50mg/mL), the only notable difference I can perceive, is the absence/reduction of throat hit... at comparable levels.

This makes sense to me. Freebase nicotine is (relatively) highly alkaline; which is irritating to the soft tissues of our airways. Adding an acid, to bring the pH level to a more neutral balance, removes/lessens the throat hit. And, as a byproduct, converts freebase to salts.

As a strictly anecdotal example: I diluted a small portion of my commercial 50mg/mL nic salt e-liquid, down to my normal 18mg/mL strength, using plain PG and VG. I then vaped it in my normal hardware. other than a total absence of throat hit (compared to my usual 18mg/mL freebase), I found no significant difference. If anything; it seemed a little less satisfying, and I tended to vape with a bit more frequency. (I went through my one-tank tester in about 3/4 of the time it takes me to go through the same tank filled with a freebase-based e-liquid. Though, this is entirely circumstantial, and could be due to my increased curiosity/interest.)

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Yes. This is how I understand it to be as well. I guess the hype has me interested as I am a little ocd.

Interestingly, my limited research suggested that the benzoic 50mg formulas are really only equivalent to 38mg or so due the process of making the salts.

I have also found high mg freebase to effect me almost immediately, the dizzy's, mild nausea etc. So, Im curious to test that. There are also claims about the length of time the nicotine salts stay in your system.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Interestingly, my limited research suggested that the benzoic 50mg formulas are really only equivalent to 38mg or so due the process of making the salts.
I wonder how they scientifically measured that? I have seen the tired old graph, that is often associated with Juul and the use of benzoic acid; but I have never seen any related protocols, or testing processes, which might add some validity to the study. :confused:
There are also claims about the length of time the nicotine salts stay in your system.
The only scientific research I have stumbled across, that might lead to this perception, is from Big Tobacco (P.M.?). And, that was why they moved toward increased freebase availability (and the chemicals required to provide that). Freebase nic was found to cross the blood/brain barrier more readily, allowing faster, more intense(?), effect.

Because the salts offered slower uptake, it seems reasonable (to me), that they would likely linger in the system longer. If true, I could see that offering a slower, longer lasting/though less intense (???), effect (mg for mg). And, in turn, not be as "beneficial" for B.T. sales. :facepalm:

But, all of this is wild-arsed speculation on my part. I am unaware of any genuine scientific studies, that validate this, in regards to vaping. I could easily be 100% wrong. :blush::D

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Reactions: Letitia

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Ok this is making more sense now. This is why I asked my initial question. I couldn't understand why people were formulating at 1:1 ratio with freebase because that is not equivalent. So, 100mg nicotine salts (benzoic acid) are actually only equilavent to 57mg of freebase. Therefore we should be nearly doubling our freebase mg for salts. This would seem to cover some of the opinions regarding effect and duration. At equivalency salts should act faster, peak higher, and have longer duration. That would make sense because it would be beneficial for big tobacco to produce a product that doesn't have a high peak or duration.. Think freebase chainsmoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread