DIY Master Techniques - Flavor Add-on's (EM, VW, BW, MTS, ACV, ect)

Status
Not open for further replies.

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
I'm starting a series of threads asking the old and new pros to give us their DIY techniques , most of which is already out there but now hopefully all collected here, in one place. I've started different threads for different topics.

This thread is specifically for methods for when to add Flavor Add-On's (Ethyl Maltol, Lemon, Vinegar, Menthol, Malic Acid, Sweeteners, Bitter Wizard, Magic Mask, MTS vape Wizard, ect.)*

In this thread, please post what add-on's you add to your flavors. (ex. what type of flavors do you add it to, how much do you add, what it does to the flavor, is a steep necessary, ect. ).

Please give specifics and include any info that people might find helpful. Please don't hijack this thread with debates, it's more about sharing your individual successful experiences and methods. Thanks to everyone for their input.

*please use my other Masters threads for other topics
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy...echniques-determining-flavor-percentages.html
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/268758-diy-master-techniques-steeping.html
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/268759-diy-masters-techniques-mixing-flavors.html

Last edited:

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
My short and sweet opinions on what i use

EM - MUST have . Goes in a lot of my juices .Not a normal sweetner . Brings richness and moistness to the table
Vinegar - best in tobacco mixes to enhance flavor or used to make sweet flavors more bitter .
Tart and sour - iuse this on lots of juices as well . The key to tart fruits and a little adds sweetness to bakery juices
Sucralose - EZsweetz work best and i use sweeteners on occasion to really bring a lot of sweetness to bland flavors .
Vape wizard - I dont use this . Iv never been able to do a damn thing with it . It is a tobacco itself however and i dont normally do tobacco juices
Bitter wizard - Does what it say , makes bitter . I like sweet juices so its really not for me .
Acetyl Pyrazine - I use this molecule on some of my juices to really enhance cakes and cookies big time . Graham crackers are gold with this molecule .

Karla Lyle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Frederick, md
Acetyl Pyrazine - I use this molecule on some of my juices to really enhance cakes and cookies big time . Graham crackers are gold with this molecule .
Never heard of that. Where do you get that? I really like bakery flavors best so if this will help those I need it.

Reactions: Kenna

vpur

Jun 9, 2011
Alberta Canada
My short and sweet opinions on what i use

EM - MUST have . Goes in a lot of my juices .Not a normal sweetner . Brings richness and moistness to the table
Vinegar - best in tobacco mixes to enhance flavor or used to make sweet flavors more bitter .
Tart and sour - iuse this on lots of juices as well . The key to tart fruits and a little adds sweetness to bakery juices
Sucralose - EZsweetz work best and i use sweeteners on occasion to really bring a lot of sweetness to bland flavors .
Vape wizard - I dont use this . Iv never been able to do a damn thing with it . It is a tobacco itself however and i dont normally do tobacco juices
Bitter wizard - Does what it say , makes bitter . I like sweet juices so its really not for me .

What % do you add AP at???

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
From Liv2Ski...

When I started DIY I had a difficult time getting a juice to "shine". They all seemed flat to me and nothing really popped. I struggled with why mine were not as good as the "store bought" stuff. I had a few favorite juices form Vendors and tried to make a few copies. Again same thing mine seemed flat. Then I put a dab of the store bought on my finger and tasted it. Each one of my favorites had a "sweetness" to it. I went and placed and order for two flavors- Cotton candy (Ethyl Malto in PG) and Sweetener (Sucralose in PG). Adding 1% sweetener to my DIY juices was the trick. I use the EM for tobacco based juices and the sweetener flavor for bakery and fruit types. I have not bought a premade juice in almost a year.

from the original thread...
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/255207-need-help-making-flavors-taste-right-2.html

Last edited:

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
Last edited:

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
From Switched...

Magic mask and Vape wizard are two different additives that do 2 different things.

MTS vape wizard contributes toward softening any acidic/sour perception, it assists in making vapour thicker, and it delivers both body and depth to any e-liquid. Try at 0.5-2%.

Magic mask reduces the acid perception without modifying the pH.

pH is one of the key factors involved in food stability. In order to reduce the pH, a small amount of organic acid must be added to the food preparation (i.e. citric, malic, tartaric acid). In most cases the addition of food acid is beneficial both for microbiological stability and taste ( just think to an lemon or cola drink, they must be acid to be good ). However, some other foods might require food acid for microbiological safety BUT the acid taste does not complement well ( a light cheese, a sauce as example ).

From the original thread...
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/74109-guide-diy-flavoring-12.html

Last edited:

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
Last edited:

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
From Str8V8ping...

The standard dilution of EM crystals is 1/4 teaspoon in 10ml PG .That dilution is what cotton candy flavoring is (10% EM) . Once thats done then you would use it in your ejuices at usually 1-3% depending on what your trying to acheive . EM is not a sugar or sugar alternative but can be considered a sweetener to the way our mouths perceive it . Em tastes like a toasted caramel with a hint of cotton candy .If you dont like the burnt caramel/cotton candy taste them EM is not for you since thats exactly what it is AKA the base in some Ry4 juices and main ingridient in BWB Malty

from the original thread...
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/266856-ethyl-maltol-how-does-taste-you.html

Last edited:

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
From pinellaspete...

Try adding 2 drops per 5ml of concentrated lemon juice to each mix if they are NOT tobacco flavors.

Try adding 2 drops per 5ml of vinegar to each mix if they ARE tobacco flavors.

That is what I do when I make my juices to start with. It has solved the flavor fade problem I was encountering before that. I have not yet tried to salvage a juice that has already faded though. It does seem to make flavors pop compared to if I haven't added acid to the mix.

Check the label on the vinegar though. It should read something along the lines of "Diluted with water to 5% acidity." I think this must be the standard in the USA because all the vinegars at the grocery store had this printed on the label.

www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/262793-flavors-real-light-more-steeping.html

Last edited:

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
From Hoosier's blog....

See his blog posts here....
www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/hoosier/

EM = Ethyl Maltol. You may as well tie one hand behind your back if you do not have some of this in your stash of stuff. (Two flavoring companies that I know of also sell this in a 10% solution as Cotton Candy Flavoring.) I use EM in a 10% solution and here is what it does:

Tiny Bit (A fraction of 1% in your mix) - Gives a "body" to the vapor and may slightly reduce sharp notes.

A Bit (Close to 1% +/- in your mix) - As above but will take the edge off sharp notes and may very slightly sweeten.

A Bunch (1%-5% of your total mix) - As above plus sweeten

A Load (10%+ of your total mix) - Cotton Candy flavor

Note that some folks are sensitive to the effects of EM and can taste sweetness at 0.05%, but this is fairly rare, and some folks are resistant to the effect and will never get anything sweet out of EM, but it will still add a depth to their juice that is feel more than taste. I don't care if you buy Maltol crystals and make your own solution or if you buy a 10% solution of ethyl maltol premade, like I do, just get it and experiment with it.

Last edited:

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
From djbishybish...

With sweetener, less is more. If you're making batches that small, I'd dilute your sweetener some more so that one drop will do the trick.

You could also try sticking a tooth pick in the sweetener and then swirling it around in your juice, so that only a teeny amount is being added.

www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/256035-why-my-juices-so-perfume.html

Last edited:

FriedLiverAtack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2011
California, USA
From Hoosier....

EM is a useful tool.

A tiny bit adds body and helps meld flavors. (approx 0.1%)
A bit more can turn a dry vape to a moister feel and cut bitter taste down. (usually somewhere between 1-0.25%)
Even more starts to add sweetness more like a candy shell kind of thing than typical sweetness.
A bunch makes a cotton candy kind of flavor

All effects are cumulative.

If it is treated more like a powerful spice than a flavoring, then it is very versatile. If used like a flavoring it is only useful as an odd sweetener.

Ordered some EM crystals will see what they do to my flavors, sounds like an effect I would appreciate, have some flavors that definitely come out tasting "dry"

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
From Lyndagayle...

Adding sweetener is something that everyone does differently. As for my taste, if something is very dry and in desperate need of sweetness added, about 3 drops per 10 ml should do it. You'll have to play around with it until you reach the level of sweetness you're trying to achieve. Start low and work up. It's much easier to add more than trying to dilute a batch that you over sweetened. HTH

www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/259102-sucralose-grocery-store.html

Last edited:

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread