DNA 250C coil confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Been playing with rayon wicking on a Ares rta using a Paranormal mod. Taking the RTA on/off to adjust wicking and the flavor was flat...reset the coil resistance measurement and all was normal again. The settings has a lock feature which I have now set on. I guess there is a learning curve when using the DNA250C board, not something I need to worry about with my other mods. I guess simple has it's benefits.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Hello @Coolsiggy, I assume that you're using wattage/power mode?

If so, you may need to play around with preheat and punch. Unfortunately Evolv has decided not to provide detailed information on these settings whatsoever, and the Escribe manual hasn't been updated for some time even though there has been major changes to Escribe.

I'm doing TC on an LV Drone 250C, and cannot reach my target temperature of 250°C. Most the mod chipset says I've hit is 243°C.

But I certainly agree on Evolv DNA device setup being overly complicated and confusing, but I believe that a lot of these issues are being caused by not providing updated information and better information resources. As well as a library of materials TFR files for TC users.

Must say that I like YiHi, due to the fact that you can do most settings on the mod.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I do not use the lock feature. But you do have to ensure the coil is read at room temperature. If you have heated it up prior to, or working in an environment that is hotter/cooler than your initial reading, the board will detect a change in resistance and request if you wish to perform a reset. You also do not have to reset the resistance if requested. You can also change the threshold of when the device will request a resistance reset under the Mod settings.

@Mordacai – if you are giving that coil enough power and it is not reaching your prescribed temperature, then the coil does not possess the appropriate mass and is too influenced by air and juice. I gave an example of this plotted with Escribe using mesh as an example.

Can’t get profile to TC

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
I think that I might benefit from running case analyser and finding out how to set the mods internal resistance accurately, I don't see most manufacturers performing this on a mod by mod basis. Smaller custom companies may do so.

Also there's some talk about a temperature limit that Evolv has set on Escribe forums.

• Informative
Reactions: bombastinator

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I think that I might benefit from running case analyser and finding out how to set the mods internal resistance accurately, I don't see most manufacturers performing this on a mod by mod basis. Smaller custom companies may do so.

Also there's some talk about a temperature limit that Evolv has set on Escribe forums.

You can measure and set the mod’s internal resistance should you have a shorting device of known resistance. But doubt the mod’s resistance is the reason why you can’t reach 250°C

I am sure there are temperature limits, but 250°C is obtainable with the right coil. Below - 26awg core, 36awg wrap SS316L Clapton. 7.5 wraps at 60 watts

250.jpg

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I see now that I was measuring the coil when it was warm/hot? I will now measure at room temp...then lock it. I am using replay, adjust watts...then save, I assume replay uses temp control?

Sorta kinda. It is working similar to temp control where it is reading the rise in resistance. But as you know you are not setting a temperature. When you save your preferred vape, it records that resistance and will scale the power up or down to maintain it. I like Reply, think it works well.

Reactions: bombastinator

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
I am still learning, just loaded EScibe and played with the settings...did a test puff and saw how a 2s puff reached temp.
By varying power with resistance...well I guess that's what TC is all about, I mean they do not use infared...that would be cool.
I do like the way you can see all the info without having to scroll the mod.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Using 25AWG flat wire (0.68mm × 0.27mm), 6 wraps spaced at 0.36 ohms. Just doesn't want to play nice, as something seems off. Don't know if it's the latest update though.

But if other mod values are off, so will the output.

And what mod is the graph with and what service pack are you using?

Used a LV Triade to plot the above. SP 1.1 SP38.

And what is the live resistance? At 0.36 ohms, from room temperature of 25°C, your coils resistance has to increase by 0.072 ohms to at least achieve 250°C with a TCR of value 0.00088. Your live resistance should exceed by a value greater than the temperature you are trying to achieve. This gives the device a more workable range.

Reactions: dwcraig1

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Evolv actually recommends NOT locking the resistance. For the life of me but I can’t remember why. Maybe someone will come along with that information.

The resistance will change with our environment. Cooler environment, the resistance will decrease. Warmer, it will increase. I suspect the device compares this with its room temperature reading. But I am speculating.

Reactions: Fidola13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread