DNA 30D by Breaktru

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Geneva, NY, USA
No balancing required and there should be no issue with 2 brand new batteries bought at the same time.

My advise in connecting parallel batteries is to use the same type and age. Buy them new and make sure the voltage difference is no more than 0.2v. Preferably less.

Fuse EACH battery. A fuse in each battery will protect against a battery failure where a malfunctioning battery would cause the good battery to go into amperage runaway

I just ordered a couple tenergy 2200mah 20c batterys, which I plan on running them parallel. plan on building a mod when I get everything together....... btw will be using the dna 30 board
Can u recommend a fuse for each of these batterys? having trouble figuring this part out...thanks for the help!!
and btw cool mod you built!!
jay

Last edited:

jayny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Geneva, NY, USA
2x 5A fuses in parallel wired to each batt.

assuming this could get me the full 30 watts if needed, altho I don't see myself going that high, I should be gtg.
u have a link to the correct ones? also will the dna board let me know when its time to charge the batterys before they go below the recommended discharge?

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
assuming this could get me the full 30 watts if needed, altho I don't see myself going that high, I should be gtg.
u have a link to the correct ones? also will the dna board let me know when its time to charge the batterys before they go below the recommended discharge?

Yes, the DNA has a battery cutoff at 3.1v

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
There are several ways to go about fusing. The DNA 30 should have a 12A hold current input fuse.
Using two parallel batteries: Each battery should be fused separately.
You can use two 6A hold current fuses, one for each battery. Or four fuses, two 3A fuses in parallel for each battery.
If the internal resistance of the fuse is low than go with the 6A in each battery. Paralleling will half the resistance and double the amperage.

If you are using only a single battery then the fuse hold amp rating should be 12A or two 6A in parallel

gorethugz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
KL, MY
There are several ways to go about fusing. The DNA 30 should have a 12A hold current input fuse.
Using two parallel batteries: Each battery should be fused separately.
You can use two 6A hold current fuses, one for each battery. Or four fuses, two 3A fuses in parallel for each battery.
If the internal resistance of the fuse is low than go with the 6A in each battery. Paralleling will half the resistance and double the amperage.

If you are using only a single battery then the fuse hold amp rating should be 12A or two 6A in parallel

Hi If im using this "RGEF400"
how many fuse that i need to use if im using 2 x 18650 battery ;)
of course for DNA30 :blush:

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The RGEF-400 is 60mOhm 4A. You can get away with two. One in each battery.

60mOhm is rather high in resistance. One in each batt should give you 30mOhms.
As per our friend CraigHB: "You don't want it to be more than 30m Ohms since it can impact booster performance".
The ones I use are 7mOhms

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
n/m - breaktru beat me to it :laugh:

mouser doesn't always list the resistance right - the datasheet says 0.021 ~ 0.039 Ohm.

I think I would use 2x in parallel on each batt though for 8A protection for each batt. That's not that much difference from 6A total per batt. With 4A per batt for 8A total there might be inadvertent tripping if running the DNA30 around max current since it allows up to 12A.

Last edited:

Speedometerman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
Mississippi, USA
How in the World,,,,do I get my hands on a DNA30D chip! I've been on the Evolv web site every day, about at least 4 times a day, And there never available!!! I e-mailed them and they said to follow them on Twitter??? For the stock update. I don't have a Tweeter account but my son does so he's been tracking them for about a week!!!. No Luck yet, I almost someone would clone them so the availability will increase. Can anyone help?

negrete35

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
How in the World,,,,do I get my hands on a DNA30D chip! I've been on the Evolv web site every day, about at least 4 times a day, And there never available!!! I e-mailed them and they said to follow them on Twitter??? For the stock update. I don't have a Tweeter account but my son does so he's been tracking them for about a week!!!. No Luck yet, I almost someone would clone them so the availability will increase. Can anyone help?
I feel your pain. I missed the initial sale by like 20 minutes. Pretty heartbreaking. lol. I have sold off a lot of vape gear so that I have enough to buy a handful of DNA 30s at the next release. I cant wait. The 20s got me off mechs. The 30 is gonna be awesome.

gorethugz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
KL, MY
n/m - breaktru beat me to it :laugh:

mouser doesn't always list the resistance right - the datasheet says 0.021 ~ 0.039 Ohm.

I think I would use 2x in parallel on each batt though for 8A protection for each batt. That's not that much difference from 6A total per batt. With 4A per batt for 8A total there might be inadvertent tripping if running the DNA30 around max current since it allows up to 12A.

Im using 2 fuse for each batt.
Direct solder the wire to each battery and wrap with the rubber tape
1653401_10151971776991429_1040713247_n.jpg
1780814_10151971777101429_1348937955_n.jpg

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Using 4 leaded fuses does take up quite a bit of space.

But with using a 4A fuse that has a trip current of only 6.8A, you didn't have too many options. For the DNA30 you want a hold current of 6A per batt when using dual parallel batts, not a trip current of 6A per batt.

The good thing though is that the resistance is now down to around ~5 to 10 mOhms instead of 21 - 39 mOhms.

Last edited:

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Where did you get the enclosure materials ? and those flat batteries? That thing is fantastic!

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

Thanks Brant.
The enclosure is a Hammond 1455D801
The Li-Po batteries can be found in a hobby shop such as hobbyking.com

GreatestUnKnown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Bay Area CA.
I ordered my chip today from Hyperion Vape but had a quick question for those of you with chips already, are the PCB mounted tactile switches removeable with the standard solder wick technique?

I was also going to order some stuff from HobbyKing but read some horrible reviews of shipping and customer service (Fasttech of R/C world?) and went with Horizon Hobby instead. My eyes are still crossed from looking at Mouser and DigiKey for both switches and fuses!

ADDIT: I was going to add the USB charger in my build as well but that board looks almost as large as the DNA board, thanks breakthru for the pic to help me make that decision.

ADDIT EDIT:Found the answer to my question, search function on google worked better than the forum!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread