DNA C & Unusual Replay Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA

Hi all,

I've read that the new dna chipsets with Replay are supposed to be able to work as long as there is ANY temp control material involved ANYwhere. (Well, I'm assuming only if it completes a circuit. ;) )

I've decided to take them up on that and start testing some unusual combos to see if they work.

Right now, I'm first testing a fused clapton -- 3 32-gauge kanthal cores, and 34-gauge Ni-200 wrap.
Surprisingly, it does work once I set a puff for replay.. But after coming back from a longer sleep (maybe a half-hour or so?), it seems to forget where it left off and ends up getting way to hot -- as in, Ni-200 should NEVER be getting that hot! I can find another puff and restart this process, though.
I have yet to wind a new coil to see if something is wonky about the current one... Maybe tomorrow or so.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has tried unusual combos like that, and what their experiences were?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bombastinator

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It will be unpredictable in a build like that. When they talk about any TC wire it really should be the main conducting wire, which in your case was the dual core Kanthal. The Ni200 wrap likely carry's way too small of the current to be consistently useful for Replay. They provide a chart with check marks for what they believe are best combos. I don't believe your is on it. If you had the opposite, a TC wire as the cores wrapped in Kanthal or whatever it would be more consistent. Replay still relies on resistance changes, so stuff like Kanthal as the primary core wouldn't be my build choice.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
Oh, I know that it's not ideal. This is just for sh*ts & giggles since it was suggested/hinted at by Brandon (IIRC?). I already know it will work if just one of the cores is TC-material, as before I started making only fused claptons it was what I did nearly all the time (like 1 ni-200, 3 kanthal - twisted).

In an identical thread on the 'other' forum, Wayneo mentioned that he had the best luck with SS316 (not outer wrap, just with straight 316 mesh) - so I think that is slated for trying next as the outer wrap. I just started with ni-200 due to its high TCR.

Just something for other bored dna C users to maybe fart around with.. Trying to test the limits of its tech. :)

As a side note, after I replaced the wick with the kanthal-core ni-200 wrap coil, replay seemed more stable - so it may be more akin to TC on cheap mods, where they were known to be finnicky with regard to spacing and whatnot.

Reactions: Eskie

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA
    I did? Usually I'd suggest TC material for the cores for best results. I use all material types but 316 is the most common used and the hardest to TC properly.

Edit: And I think it was you in another thread looking for this calibration tool.
    https://www.signaturetips.com/collections/signature-acc/products/calibration-tool-for-dna200-devices

I kind of thought it was you that was mentioning something about 316/316-mesh working best for your scenario (not as in any kind of odd combo though). But then again, I have some disabling cognitive & memory issues - so I'm like...always in a state of constant confusion. :D So I might even be cross-thinking between cross-threads, for all I know. :lol:

But THANKS for that link! I've been looking high and low for that sucker. Already ordered! :thumb:

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
    Aug 6, 2013
    WI, USA
    I did? Usually I'd suggest TC material for the cores for best results. I use all material types but 316 is the most common used and the hardest to TC properly.

Ah, it was Lordmage who mentioned about 316/mesh in the Other forum.. Sorry for getting you two mixed up. :)

---------------------------

In a strange twist, I decided to try this coil - the 3-kanthal-core w/ni-200 wrap - in TC, and to my amazement, it actually seems rock solid in TC.. Replay is still messed up with it, though. Go figure.. :confused:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread